Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the match remind anyone else of Iceland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Did the match remind anyone else of Iceland?

I've never been but after the first half it felt alot like the Iceland match in Rekyavik. We won 4-2 on a terrible pitch and we dominated the match. It must've been about 8 years ago but it's still fresh in the mind. I remember Roy Keane scored twice and at one stage we were 2-1 down.

I know this is a weird post but after watching the match last night I kept thinking of that Iceland match.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    I've never been but after the first half it felt alot like the Iceland match in Rekyavik. We won 4-2 on a terrible pitch and we dominated the match. It must've been about 8 years ago but it's still fresh in the mind. I remember Roy Keane scored twice and at one stage we were 2-1 down.

I know this is a weird post but after watching the match last night I kept thinking of that Iceland match.
    Remember McCarthy roaring at McAteer.
    "JAAAAYSON......JAAAAYSON...JAAAAYSON KEEP THE FCUKING BALL WE'RE WINNING 4-2 YA STUPID C#NT"

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I remember it was during the McCarthy hunting days by the panel and Giles made the astonishing statement: "What's important Bill, is the performance not the result". Strangely against the Faroes he had changed back to the result being more important than the performance.

It all depends on who you want to attack I suppose.

I remember the game well. We were hopeless and looking doomed but someone managed to get a 4-2 win and a vital 3 points. Have we scored 4 away from home since ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan

I remember the game well. We were hopeless and looking doomed but someone managed to get a 4-2 win and a vital 3 points. Have we scored 4 away from home since ?
    Did we not get 4 goals away in Cyprus in qualifying for WC 2002 - Harte, Roy Keane (2) and Kelly or was that before the Iceland game????
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    think kilbane made his debut and was awful - taken off at half time - nearly went really pear-shaped that day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Did we not get 4 goals away in Cyprus in qualifying for WC 2002 - Harte, Roy Keane (2) and Kelly or was that before the Iceland game????
    Iceland was before that I think so I think you're correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I was thinking the exact same during the Faroes match.

The iceland game was part of the qualifying series for the 1998 World Cup whereas the Cyprus away game was part of the qualifying series for the 2002 World Cup.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wasn't the Iceland game just after Princess Di died and the lads wore black armbands during the match
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Possibly, it was late '97 anyway.
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Iceland match was 6th September 1997

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    That was a week after her death so it must've been. But why were they wearing armbands in rememberance of an English woman?
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That was a week after her death so it must've been. But why were they wearing armbands in rememberance of an English woman?
    exactly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    At that time most of them were English anyway!
    Extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Sigh!

Iceland 2 Ireland 4

Shay Given (Newcastle United), Jeff Kenna (Blackburn), Kenny Cunningham (Wimbledon), Ian Harte (Leeds United), Steve Staunton (Aston Villa), Gary Kelly (Leeds United), Alan McLoughlin (Portsmouth), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Andy Townsend (Middlesbrough), capt., Kevin Kilbane (West Brom), David Connolly (Feyenoord).

7 Irish born, 3 1st generation Irish and 1 2nd generation. I suppose that makes "most of them" English. Keep perpetuating the myths

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Was this one of the games where Baaaaarnsley Mick had Harte playing at CB? No wonder we made it difficult for ourselves!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    Was this one of the games where Baaaaarnsley Mick had Harte playing at CB? No wonder we made it difficult for ourselves!!
    As it was kinda local for me I was at the game, I sat with the natives in the old stand. It was a bit like Flanagans Ball, they stood up I sat down, I stood up they sat down. There were a few hundred Irish supporters there in the new stand but with the acoustics of that stand the sound they made vanished up into the air. Ireland score, the Irish support jump up and down but you can't hear a thing across the field.
    But no matter where you were you could hear McCarthy shouting abuse at the team. At least he cared. I have no particular agenda for or against McCarthy but that Irish team were very poor in that campaign. IMO It was one of the poorest Irish teams since early 70's. Was that Mc Carthy´s first campaign? He did not make it any more difficult for that team. Romania were streets ahead even with their limited quality. They stripped Iceland bare with a 4-0 victory there.
    There was nowhere to go with that team. It was a miracle they came so close in the end to a barely average Belgian team. To anyone who followed Ireland through that they were just biding time until Keane and Duff made it through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    I have no particular agenda for or against McCarthy but that Irish team were very poor in that campaign. IMO It was one of the poorest Irish teams since early 70's. Was that Mc Carthy´s first campaign? He did not make it any more difficult for that team. Romania were streets ahead even with their limited quality. They stripped Iceland bare with a 4-0 victory there.
    There was nowhere to go with that team. It was a miracle they came so close in the end to a barely average Belgian team. To anyone who followed Ireland through that they were just biding time until Keane and Duff made it through.
    Actually they were much the better side in Romania where we lost 1-0 (Roy Keane missed a peno) and the better side at home where we drew I think. If you see the team posted above it wasn't a bad side - just badly missing a decent striker, although Connolly had his best game in a green jersey away in Bucharest. And yes Mick was experimenting with the 3 centre halves, with Harte as one of them. Giles, DUnphy and Laughing Bill were launching vicious personal attacks on him on the national TV station with no balance in the panel. It was so unfair it used make my blood boil - no one to put a contrary or even a balanced opinion. Same in Italian 90 ("I agree with John". "I agree with Eamon" - scandalous stuff).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Actually they were much the better side in Romania where we lost 1-0 (Roy Keane missed a peno) and the better side at home where we drew I think. If you see the team posted above it wasn't a bad side - just badly missing a decent striker, although Connolly had his best game in a green jersey away in Bucharest. And yes Mick was experimenting with the 3 centre halves, with Harte as one of them. Giles, DUnphy and Laughing Bill were launching vicious personal attacks on him on the national TV station with no balance in the panel. It was so unfair it used make my blood boil - no one to put a contrary or even a balanced opinion. Same in Italian 90 ("I agree with John". "I agree with Eamon" - scandalous stuff).
    Rose tinted spectacles?
    They had a good game in Romania. When Romania came to Dublin they were cruising, already had topped the group & qualified and still they did enough. Of the team that went to Iceland, Staunton was stiff and slow, (recovering from injury?)
    I thought McLaughlin, Kennedy, Connolly, Kenna and Kilbane were average grafters then. As I say the team were not qualification standard and that was clearly seen against an average Belgian team (who later lost their 3 group games?)
    The panelists are for the brain dead. I would rather discuss the games developments with my dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Yes, maybe but our fate in that campaign was sealed in Skopje. Macedonia 4 Rep. Ireland 1. Oh, it was awful!

And that was just the new away jersey......
    Extratime.ie

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Oh dear!

Well what I heard was that Andy Townsend (who to be fair to you Frank is English: one Irish granny, travelled across Mallorca to support the scum against us in 1988, etc.) who was captain, was pretty devastated about Britain's top slimmer's death that he cajoled the rest of them into this token recognition of the bimbo. I wasn't present at the game but I heard many players ripped off the black armband as soon as the football started.

Anyway, the GAA in London caused a few seizures amongst its membership by lowering the Tricolour the day after, as I heard too the flag above the GPO. Personally I thought the world (well my world in London at least) went mad. Many people who hate the royals had black armbands on that Saturday at work, simply because 'she p*ssed them all off.' My own fondest memories of it all were the Irish Post photographer who got handbagged by combined membership of the local chapter of the Womens' Institute near the GAA at Ruislip for taking pictures of the hearst leaving Northolt Aerodrome. And a Gay manager telling a joke about Tommy Steele replacing Elton John as the singer at her funeral, which was overheard by almost everyone on the platform at Wembley Park tube station (He, btw, also wore a black armband on the day ).
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast