Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Aran Islands have a club ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aran Islands have a club ??

One of the coming weekends I plan on a re-visit to the Aran Islands... While there I may do a bit of groundhopping, at least if there's any groundhopping to do at all.

Does anyone know if the Aran Islands have a football team and ground ?

During my first visit I asked, and one inhabitant told me they have a team playing in a local amateur league with mainly Galway-based teams. Though according to two others that I asked there's only a GAA team on the islands.
    I did see a sort of ground, just off a graveyard and off the beach on the far end of Innismore there was a small ground but it is only used recreationally by the local elementary school - so IF there is a competitive team it must have a different home ground.

Does anyone know if soccer is being played on the Aran Islands and if yes, in which league they play ?
    It kinda would make sense. The main island Innishmore has a village more or less big enough for an amateur side, and it would be a logical thing - more logical anyway than the approx 1000 locals having to cross the sea to the mainland for a game of football.
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    theres just one pitch on Inis Oirr-the smallest island. its a GAA pitch but football is allowed on it as the pitch belongs to the island and not the GAA themselves.as for Inis Meán and Inis Mór. i dont know about their pitches/clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    One of the coming weekends I plan on a re-visit to the Aran Islands... While there I may do a bit of groundhopping, at least if there's any groundhopping to do at all.

Does anyone know if the Aran Islands have a football team and ground ?

During my first visit I asked, and one inhabitant told me they have a team playing in a local amateur league with mainly Galway-based teams. Though according to two others that I asked there's only a GAA team on the islands.
    I did see a sort of ground, just off a graveyard and off the beach on the far end of Innismore there was a small ground but it is only used recreationally by the local elementary school - so IF there is a competitive team it must have a different home ground.

Does anyone know if soccer is being played on the Aran Islands and if yes, in which league they play ?
    It kinda would make sense. The main island Innishmore has a village more or less big enough for an amateur side, and it would be a logical thing - more logical anyway than the approx 1000 locals having to cross the sea to the mainland for a game of football.
    For what it's worth Gerrit, the school(s) in the area tried to take part in Primary schools footie back in the mid 90s but couldn't afford to participate 'cos of the expense of travelling to the mainland for finals. I think Arranmore had a Donegal league side - not sure if it's in existence now.

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    I think Arranmore had a Donegal league side - not sure if it's in existence now.
    Yeah they are still going.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

This takes me back to a thread on our Northern cousins board called "Favourite Mainland team."

I said my favourite mainland team were Limerick FC, my favourite cross channel team were Leeds United and my favourite non-mainland team were Kilronan Celtic from Inis Mor
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie

This takes me back to a thread on our Northern cousins board called "Favourite Mainland team."

I said my favourite mainland team were Limerick FC, my favourite cross channel team were Leeds United and my favourite non-mainland team were Kilronan Celtic from Inis Mor
    leeds are Cross channel ? i didnt know theyd moved to france

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Inis Mor has a club so ?!

Regarding the club on Arranmore, how do they manage regarding travel costs etc ? Do they get a decent following ? (Not too familiar with the area so not sure how many inhabitants the isle has and how far off-coast they are)
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie

Seriously, LR, was there a Kilronan Celtic??? I haven't followed the Galway League for a while and can't recall them or are you taking the p!$$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    Inis Mor has a club so ?!

Regarding the club on Arranmore, how do they manage regarding travel costs etc ? Do they get a decent following ? (Not too familiar with the area so not sure how many inhabitants the isle has and how far off-coast they are)
    I think they play their games on the mainland Gerrit. Aidan Gallagher, who ran the FAI Schools in the early 90s, had an involvement with Shels a few years ago and was a LOI referee, is from Arranmore. Soundest bloke you'll meet and a good friend of mine.
    Last edited by hamish; 14/06/2005 at 11:10 PM.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yes Arranmore United are still in existence just about