Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Celtic Away

Are there many heading over to Glasgow for the Celtic-Ireland game in May?

Myself and 1 mate are heading (both of us have tickets)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    Are there many heading over to Glasgow for the Celtic-Ireland game in May?

Myself and 1 mate are heading (both of us have tickets)
    Im heading over with 4 lads from Kildare, and then hopefully hooking up with 2 other friends from North London up there.

All have tickets. Looking forward to it, should be a laugh

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yup, 2 here, have tickets in north stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    Yup, 2 here, have tickets in north stand.
    We're in the North Upper, around the halfway mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    in north lower, 142 at the corner post, might be able to wave up at you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    We're in the North Upper, around the halfway mark
    There's 4 of us in north upper, around halfway block 404.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Being the caring foot.ie member that I am , I have provided you all with a guide to surviving Glasgow the weekend of J McNamara's game. Your safety and welfare is my first priority

Take care in Glasgow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Being the caring foot.ie member that I am , I have provided you all with a guide to surviving Glasgow the weekend of J McNamara's game. Your safety and welfare is my first priority

Take care in Glasgow

(I posted this ages ago but always think that it is worth another look)

KT thought you might like to meet their Belfast cousin at the safe distance of a computer screen rather then their more natural habitat at the bottom of the Divis Flats!
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/no31onl...egenerator.htm
    (you'll need a sound card and speakers.) Spides, along with Man Utd the truely cross sectarian figure of love and hate in the wee six.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I have encountered those wee spidey gets unfortunately, and I have seen that website before, love 'dress the spide' The Glasgow ned is more numerous and cheeky though and tend to be more dangerous....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have encountered those wee spidey gets unfortunately, and I have seen that website before, love 'dress the spide' The Glasgow ned is more numerous and cheeky though and tend to be more dangerous....
    More numourous, but dangerous? No way, I think of all neds, spides, skankers and chavs, your Belfast spide has to be the most scary,they just seem like loopers from about 50 paces and I would seriously cross the road

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think of all neds, spides, skankers and chavs,

you forgot, knacks, skangers, tinks, minks, knackers and pikies. i would put the skangers above them all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Got my accomodation all sorted. Staying in the tuplip Inn. starting to really look forward to this now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Im staying in the Euro Hostel, near enough St Enochs station.

Flying in on the Saturday morning, back very early Monday morning!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't know that one Babysis, eurohostel should be good craic Ash, will be very busy, Jury's, just opposite, will be packed full of like-minded individuals

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babysis
    Got my accomodation all sorted. Staying in the tuplip Inn. starting to really look forward to this now.
    not too far from the Brazen head in you're in to a few rebel rousing tunes!!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Is that where it is near, Jaysus, you need a stiff drink in you to go in there!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior

Happy days. Im always up for a few rebel songs and a good sesh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sounds like Hell on Earth
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Squad Named

Brian Kerr today named a 22 man squad for the Jackie McNamara Testimonial game versus Celtic in Celtic Park on Sunday 29th May, Kick Off 2pm.

“I am looking forward to this game as it not only recognises a great servant to the game in Jackie McNamara but it gives me an opportunity to keep the players in competitive condition for he upcoming World Cup Qualifiers versus Israel and Faroe Islands,” Brian Kerr said.

“After they have completed their club commitments Ian Harte and Steven Finnan will join up with this squad on 31st May as we prepare for the Israel and Faroe games,” the manager added.

The Brian Kerr Republic of Ireland XI squad will assemble in Dublin on 25th and 26th May and the Manager will hold a Press Conference in the Team Hotel, Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links, at 1.30pm on Friday 27th May.

Gavin (Newcastle United), Kenny (Sheffield United), Murphy (West Bromwich Albion), Carr (Newcastle United), Breen (Sunderland), O’Brien (Newcastle United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O’Shea (Manchester United), Maybury (Leicester City), Miller (Manchester United), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Holland (Charlton Athletic), A Reid (Tottenham Hotspur), S Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Quinn (Sheffield United), Kilbane (Everton), Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic), Duff (Chelsea), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Elliott (Sunderland), Doherty (Norwich City), Morrison (Birmingham City).

http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=2...avlid=&sublid=
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guide for first timers

KT may be able to supply more info on this but;

Some pubs in town may not serve people who are in colours, the definate exception is Failtie (if your getting a cab, drivers may know it as Finnagans Wake) which is near Central Station and is not too bad. They serve 50 schilling and 70 schilling which is a kind of heavy - bitter like - and is worth a drink - you won't find it in many Celtic pubs as its made by McEwens

My own favourites are Bar Republic which is a Beer Cellar in town and I doubt if they would allow football tops, a wide varitey of beers availible, long tressel tables decent relaxed atmosphere. Bit pricey though.
    Horseshoe is sound and may be more relaxed about football tops its food is apparently recommended, if your staying until Monday it gets very busy at lunch time and 6ish with business crowd. Not a bad spot.

O'Henry's is across a side street from there and the music isn't too bad from my memory Guinness is a bit ropey but atracts relatively young crowd.

These are around Central Station. There are a couple more bars near that names escape me but most ones that I have been in are not bad.

Further away and fairly handy for those staying in the Euro hostel is the Scotia Bar (it has a late open pool hall upstairs) lots of left wing stuff on the wall, pubs is shallow and long so if busy can be difficult to get a seat, but is a good spot and worth a visit.

Near by and next to the River Cylde is a decent small music bar called the Vaults (the pub has a first name but I can never remember it) again very relaxed.

The main drag leading up to the ground is called the Gallowgate. If you don't like rebel music there are quite a few bars to avoid. However if your around early enough have a look in Bairds which has Celtic/ football memerobilia all over the place. This bar and the Hoops across the road will be uncomfortably packed before the game, (if on the other hand you do like rebel music the Hoops is at least my prefered one) a quiter pint can be found in the Heillan Jessie which has neither music or TV which makes it a great place to go for a chat with your mates.

The Drover is the nearest pub to the ground where you will get served comfortably, but don't hang around for more then a couple after as the locals start to come in and a scary bunch of loopers they look too.

Its a good walk from the Gallowgate to the ground and if you are at the top of the road leave about fourty five minutes to get to the ground walking. (Actually come to think of it the first pub that you come to on the road isn't really packed nice lay out and not too expensive but I've only been in it twice and can never remember the name!)

Whatever your opinion about SPL football many locals will presume that if you have an Ireland top on you are a Celtic fan as well and arguing the point may well prove futile and in some cases, where a ned has put his arm around and is singing a rebel song that he is clearly making up as he goes along, a bit dangerous - many Rangers fans although by no means all - will not be welcoming and in town late at night watch yourself there can be a small risk of sectarian or random attacks or attempting intimidation.

Personally I would avoid the local lager (Tennants) as it is can have the burning effect in your stomache of making you think that you have just drank acid.

Above all its a good town and enjoy yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast