Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: McDermott blows his top

Neil

McDermott blows his top

TOP whistler John McDermott has quit the Eircom League after being axed from the Eircom League's referees panel for the final month of the season.

McDermott, who handled the 1999 FAI Cup final and is held in the highest esteem by managers and players, was informed of his axing last Thursday in a letter sent by the League's referees allocation officer, Pat Kelly.

"I was bitterly disappointed at being left out after being dropped last season as well and was in the wrong right frame of mind to ref the St Pat's v Bray game on Friday," explained the Dublin whistler, who was on the FIFA panel until he reached the mandatory retirement age earlier this season.

McDermott took the rap for not sending off Tony O'Dowd in the recent Shamrock Rovers v Sligo FAI Cup tie.

"There was no assessor at that game and it seems I've been tried on the basis of TV coverage. Unfortunately, there is no route to appeal," he said.

"I've another year to go on the panel but as I was only allocated a handful of games this season, it seems my face doesn't fit any more."

Kelly confirmed that McDermott was dropped because of the O'Dowd incident. "John should have sent O'Dowd off, as per FIFA instruction. I assessed his performance from what I saw on TV," he said.

"John's the most experienced ref we have and we could do with his services next season, but it's his decision to retire, which will mean extra responsibility for the younger refs."

The League can ill afford to lose a referee of McDermott's calibre and League's top brass should make every effort to retain his services.

Stand-in Damien Han**** made a number of poor decisions at Richmond Park on Friday.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If thats true it's a disgrace. I don't have a very high opinion of the guy as a ref, but to treat a ref like that is appalling, considering what others have done and got away with, i.e. O'Hanlon

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    No, it's about time a ref was held accountable for poor decisions..... He wasn't the worst (Han**** and Stacey come to mind), but then it might buck up a few of the others if they realise they are not untouchable.....

Why the fook wasn't there an assesor there? That kinda blows the myth that they are accountable the whole time......
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.