Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Invitational Alternative World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts

Invitational Alternative World Cup

There are talks stateside that an invitational tournament could take place this summer in the USA as seen as the locals have not qualified.

In the US there is a NIT or "National Invitational Tournament"for college basketball teams that don't make the March Madness 64 team knock-out competition. This tournament has been styled similar in the Media - they are calling it the "soccer NIT"

The type of teams that have failed to qualify make it an attractive proposition - Italy, Netherlands, Wales, USA , Ghana, Ivory Coast, Chile and I think a few teams like ourselves and Greece with big diaspora could make it a lucrative event over there and may offset some of the revenue lost by not being in the world cup.

It's a bit mad but an 8 / 16 team event stateside would make good TV money over there.

Below is some of the commentary ( most of it fairly derisory - but it seems like preliminary talks are commencing ) and the story appeared in all of the ESPN afternoon talk shows - Highly Questionable, PTI , Around the Horn etc

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017...ds-italy-chile

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/11/...be-a-bad-idea/

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/11/14...ds-ghana-chile

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    It could be interesting, you would potentially have a 4 x 4 along the lines of the following

USA
    Ukraine
    Cote D'Ivoire
    Wales

Chile
    Ireland
    Ghana
    Slovakia

Italy
    Paraguay
    Cameroon
    Greece

Holland
    Ecuador
    Northern Ireland
    New Zealand

One problem I could see is FIFA not wanting a competition like this distracting audiences from the actual World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Unless FIFA can draw a few pound out of this it wouldn't be sanctioned, clubs could then block players being available. UEFA and FIFA would almost certainly kick up a stink regardless.
    j'accuse!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Yeah. I actually quite like this idea, even if it would just be a runners up affair, a Europe League to the World Cups' Champions League. but there's no way it will go ahead in the format you'd want with the teams you'd want. Something for FIFA et all to consider though.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I'd watch any old sh!te so i'd be in favour but apparently FIFA have already said they have no issue with it, subject to the normal international rules.

A 16 team tournament would be good fun - kick off times US time for the World Cup are generally 8.00am / 11.00am and 2.00pm Eastern - so 1 7.30 K.O east and 1 7.30 K.O West wouldn't make a difference to Russia in terms of TV money - I may have to take the month of June off work next year if it happens.

The kicker for me is - FOX Sports in the US paid something like $400m for the USA World cup rights and then the USMNT went and failed to qualify - I reckon a well marketed alternative tournament with 30 odd games could make significant TV money over there and could be the carrot for teams to send their best squads. You could run it off in about 3 weeks - Starting a week before the World Cup and it would be complete mid/late -June anyway. Would be better than a bunch of meaningless friendlies we will inevitably end up playing in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Can't imagine any more than 4 or 8 teams being involved in anything like this.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Would be better than a bunch of meaningless friendlies we will inevitably end up playing in.
    That's it for me. See plenty of scorn poured on the idea - somewhat amused at one of the American links above flagellating themselves, their qualification failure must really hurt - but we'll be playing international matches anyway, right? Why be training material for Russia bound teams? We can get as much worth out of this idea.

Still don't think it'll happen, mind.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).