Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: everton/liverpool catholic/protestant

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

everton/liverpool catholic/protestant

of coarse this doesnt matter in football but ive been asked this a few times and thought ye may be interested
    both clubs were set up by the same people middle class prodistant business men .
    most people in liverpool are everton fans like in manchester its city fans .everton being the club for the ordinary working class man (peoples club), in the 50's there stars were irish and so most of the working class in liverpool being irish started to watch everton .
    this led to a sudo irish feel to the club this continued through the 80's when everton and celtic were the only 2 clubs to fly the tri colour in britain . this is why everton are now considered a "irish" club . there is a lot more but it gets boring

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    of coarse this doesnt matter in football but ive been asked this a few times and thought ye may be interested
    both clubs were set up by the same people middle class prodistant business men .
    most people in liverpool are everton fans like in manchester its city fans .everton being the club for the ordinary working class man (peoples club), in the 50's there stars were irish and so most of the working class in liverpool being irish started to watch everton .
    this led to a sudo irish feel to the club this continued through the 80's when everton and celtic were the only 2 clubs to fly the tri colour in britain . this is why everton are now considered a "irish" club . there is a lot more but it gets boring

P-r-o-t-e-s-t-a-n-t

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    why were everton flying the tricolor?i know 9 of 11 first teamers were Irish at one point in the 50s alright.
    liverpool FCs founder was an orangeman btw.evertons original name was st domingos, i beleive this name was taken from the local catholic church,but am open to correction.George Mahon led the toffee exit from anfield to goodison due to a doubling of rent at anfield, where everton have played since.mahon;that an irish name by any chance??
    interesting programme the other night léargas on rté1. was about the Irish diaspora in liverpool. mentioned everton being the more popular club amongst the Irish. 1 in 4 liverpudlians have Irish roots according to the programme

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack
    P-r-o-t-e-s-t-a-n-t
    That would be Liverpool FC, the Huns of Merseyside. Everton are/were the Irish and Catholic club in Liverpool. Leargas on RTE One the other night was about sectarianism in Liverpool complete with Loyalist flute bands with the LFC crest.

Irish people are such sickening bandwagon jumpers that an historically Hun club like Liverpool are just behind Man Utd and Celtic in terms of popularity.

You even get people who "support" Liverpool and Celtic. One because of the obvious Irish connection, the other because.....

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Talking It's Sh*t Stirring time!

Ha ha ha ha! 'WeAreRovers', you langer! The Liverbird crest is the crest of Liverpool City Council and it's people. It's the civic crest of Liverpool dumbass. It's all over the city, in all the old buildings, and is imprinted on all street furniture etc. It's the equivelant of Dublin City Council using the castle crest. Anybody is free to use it, even Orange bands. Its use means nothing. Even if they used the actual LFC crest, do you think for one minute that Liverpool FC supporters give a toss about Orange Orders? The Orange Order in Liverpool are a minority of idiots who are causing a bit of trouble in a city steeped in Irish culture. Liverpudlians don't consider themselves English, and there's a reason for that.

Liverpool FC have absolutely no definate religious following. Hark back to the days when they were formed if you like, by an Irish protestant by the way, but it means nothing today. The Liverpool supporters sing both a version of the sash (called 'scouser tommy') and a version of the Fields of Athenry (called Fields of Anfield Road), which proves that they don't give a sh*t what religion their fans are. Have you ever seen the giant flag that the Kop waves before games? The Irish tri-color features proudly on it. Tri-colors are also seen all over Anfield at every game. So if you're trying to stir up a religious debate about Liverpool FC, you're wasting your time. Leave that to the Old Firm and other pathetic fans of clubs like that.

Liverpools connection with Ireland is stronger than Evertons, and has been for years. The Irish connection when Liverpool were most successful is evident of that - Ronnie Whelan, Ray Houghton, Stevie Staunton, Tony Cousins, Mark Lawerenson, John Aldridge, Steve Heighway, Michael Robinson etc - In fact, the latter three were born scousers, born Liverpool supporters who declared for Ireland. Would they have done so if Liverpool is a 'protestant\hun' club? I don't think so! Souness broke the chain of Irish players, but you wouldn't have expected any less from him at that time. Even today, our own Darran Potter is an example of a Liverpool FC scouser playing for Ireland.

Until Houllier took over, Liverpool were also pre-season visitors to these shores every year without fail. Hardly the mark of a 'hun' club.

Finally, what Scottish club do Liverpool share an intimate affiliation with? If Liverpool are a hun club, you'd expect it to be Rangers, wouldn't you? But because you're talking bullsh*t, it's actually Celtic. The two clubs have shared countless testemonial matches, pre-season games and great european nights, not to mention Celtic using Liverpools anthem 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Anytime a retiring Liverpool player had a testemonial at Anfield, it was Celtic, not Rangers, who were invited almost everytime. Do Liverpool have any connection with Rangers. No, absolutely none. You can buy Celtic\Liverpool scarves in the Liverpool club shop. Not a Rangers thing in sight. 'Hun' club alright. The ironic thing is though, you could say Everton have an affiliation with Rangers. Everton have often played in the Ibrox pre-season tournaments, and have a strong recent transfer history with Rangers players and managers.

So stop talking rubbish lads
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 03/03/2005 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spellings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everton

Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    why were everton flying the tricolor?i know 9 of 11 first teamers were Irish at one point in the 50s alright.
    liverpool FCs founder was an orangeman btw.evertons original name was st domingos, i beleive this name was taken from the local catholic church,but am open to correction.George Mahon led the toffee exit from anfield to goodison due to a doubling of rent at anfield, where everton have played since.mahon;that an irish name by any chance??
    interesting programme the other night léargas on rté1. was about the Irish diaspora in liverpool. mentioned everton being the more popular club amongst the Irish. 1 in 4 liverpudlians have Irish roots according to the programme
    Everton were founded by St. Domingo's Methodist Church. That buries the Catholic/Protestant argument, full stop. Liverpool's founder was a man by the name of John Houlding. The orangeman you are referring to is John McKenna, who moved to Liverpool from Co. Monaghan, and he was not the founder but rose up the ranks. Liverpool had Irish traditions in the early twentieth century with players like Wexford's Billy Lacey from Shelbourne and Elisha Scott from Belfast Celtic. This religion talk in Liverpool would only be laughed at. People back there do not really care, and I visit Liverpool a couple of times a year and the people have the greatest respect for the Paddy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    That would be Liverpool FC, the Huns of Merseyside. Everton are/were the Irish and Catholic club in Liverpool. Leargas on RTE One the other night was about sectarianism in Liverpool complete with Loyalist flute bands with the LFC crest.

Irish people are such sickening bandwagon jumpers that an historically Hun club like Liverpool are just behind Man Utd and Celtic in terms of popularity.

You even get people who "support" Liverpool and Celtic. One because of the obvious Irish connection, the other because.....
    KOH
    I have a lot of PROTESTANT friends in Dublin and we all support Shamrock Rovers. Are you saying that Rovers are the HUNS of the Eircom League ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Everton's strong historic links with Shamrock Rovers; Everton/Celtic bobble hats in the eighties; Tricolours at Goodison years before the Irish barstoolers discovered LFC; Everton's strong links with the ROI including hosting the famous 2-0 win over the old enemy and providing most of that team (along with Rovers of course)

I appreciate that if you're young you would naturally assume LFC had strong Irish links and yes they do - with travel agents and Loyalists. After Rangers LFC are the number one club of choice for the discerning Loyalist thug.

As late as the mid-seventies 12th of July marches wound their way through Liverpool city centre complete with red scarf wearing marchers. The marches still go on to this day as does the sectarian hatred but don't let that get in the way of supporting LFC.

Also I would imagine that a Liver Bird with LFC written underneath it represents the football club and not the city. And yes I do hate Liverpool Football Club, always have and always will. Don't ask me why...I'm receiving counselling and I'll keep you all informed as to my progress.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    orange marches go on in loads of places in the uk not to mention a few in the republic of ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    Everton's strong historic links with Shamrock Rovers; Everton/Celtic bobble hats in the eighties; Tricolours at Goodison years before the Irish barstoolers discovered LFC; Everton's strong links with the ROI including hosting the famous 2-0 win over the old enemy and providing most of that team (along with Rovers of course)

I appreciate that if you're young you would naturally assume LFC had strong Irish links and yes they do - with travel agents and Loyalists. After Rangers LFC are the number one club of choice for the discerning Loyalist thug.

As late as the mid-seventies 12th of July marches wound their way through Liverpool city centre complete with red scarf wearing marchers. The marches still go on to this day as does the sectarian hatred but don't let that get in the way of supporting LFC.
    Also I would imagine that a Liver Bird with LFC written underneath it represents the football club and not the city. And yes I do hate Liverpool Football Club, always have and always will. Don't ask me why...I'm receiving counselling and I'll keep you all informed as to my progress.

KOH
    Don't you worry pal it won't.
    I support Liverpool for what I see on the pitch not what happens on the Garvaghy Road.
    I go to Anfield three or four times a year (with my Protestest Shamrock Rovers mates) and the Liverpool fans are overly friendly to us Paddies. They sort you out with tickets in the pubs and everything.

You just stick to ripping the seats out of Richmond Park and giving Nazi salutes at games with your neo-Nazi mates from Germany.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    I support Liverpool for what I see on the pitch not what happens on the Garvaghy Road.

great line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Wearerovers,

If only you had explained all this to me when I started following LFC, maybe I would have seen the light, and chosen more carefully.

Then again, at the time, they were winning all round them, and I was only 6 years old, so apologies if I didn't read up on any loyalist background.

"most people in liverpool are everton fans like in manchester its city fans "

Is that just a bit of a myth, in both cases.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    Wearerovers,
    "most people in liverpool are everton fans like in manchester its city fans "

Is that just a bit of a myth, in both cases.
    What about the "most Shamrock Rovers fans are Protestants" one ?

Church on Sunday morning following by
    Boys Brigade march down Suffolk Street.
    Bewleys for tea and scones
    The it was down to Milltown for 3.30ko
    Oh the memories of a
    Protestant Shamrock Rovers childhood
    Last edited by stojkovic; 03/03/2005 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millwallfc
    And what about Sheffield Utd and Wednesday,the blades set up by catholics but you don't hear anything about that today thank fcuk.Keep religion out of football.
    from a Millwall fan
    Yeah, join the National Front instead.

RushIan
    Losing the plot here – gang of arseholes that’s why I stopped going on this site they don’t have a clue. That We Are rovers c*nt with his “you even get Liverpool – Celtic sopporters “ if he was standing in front of me I’d knock him, out he is the exact reason why I don’t go to pubs to watch liverpool play ! ARSEHOLE ! ! !
    All I know is that Anfield was named by an Irish catholic priest after a field in Ireland which he grew up on or something – after that I don’t give a boll*x, catholic or protestant, I know what I am that’s all I care about.
    Cant take that kind of small mindedness if I was at all interested in that I would be supporting a good irish club like celtic !
    Anyway he supports rovers nothin but a gang of drunk “lower class” hooligans used to go up there to watch Shels and get chased out most times by gangs of 20 – 25 year olds with cans of old sommerset ! this was when I was about 13 ! Lovely gang of people !

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    most people in liverpool are everton fans like in manchester its city fans
    Myth - every survey ever done has proved otherwise. And stockport isn't in Manchester anyway
    Actually no, United fly the international flag of the first teamers - not many times in the history of the club there hasn't been an irishman playing. Infact, during the long running "friendship" between United and Celtic (ruined by the RA songs at a friendly a few weeks after one of the Manchester (or could've been Warrington Bombings) flying the tricolour was used by Rangers fans to justify they're hatred of United (seriel Munich singers - Davros you've something in common with them).

Many English teams drew support from the Irish Diaspora, which sometime manifested itself in splits in two club cities. In Manchester, United were the Catholic Club, City the protestant club (United were nearly Manchester Celtic at the Newton Heath name change). Long time since it ever mattered though, thank fook...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millwallfc
    Listen Stojkovic

Don't tar us all with the same brush,every club has it's loonies ok ,you follow Rovers you should know.
    Thats good to hear.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=Macy]Myth - every survey ever done has proved otherwise. And stockport isn't in Manchester anyway

Actually no, United fly the international flag of the first teamers
    QUOTE]

check your facts in the 80's all the clubs decided to not fly the tri colour even hibs the only 2 that did fly it were everton and celtic . this is a fact not opinion

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RushIan
    Losing the plot here – gang of arseholes that’s why I stopped going on this site they don’t have a clue. That We Are rovers c*nt with his “you even get Liverpool – Celtic sopporters “ if he was standing in front of me I’d knock him, out he is the exact reason why I don’t go to pubs to watch liverpool play ! ARSEHOLE ! ! !
    All I know is that Anfield was named by an Irish catholic priest after a field in Ireland which he grew up on or something – after that I don’t give a boll*x, catholic or protestant, I know what I am that’s all I care about.
    Cant take that kind of small mindedness if I was at all interested in that I would be supporting a good irish club like celtic !
    Anyway he supports rovers nothin but a gang of drunk “lower class” hooligans used to go up there to watch Shels and get chased out most times by gangs of 20 – 25 year olds with cans of old sommerset ! this was when I was about 13 ! Lovely gang of people !

well if you arent interested in this topic then dont read the messages and reply to posts so its very easy to do !!!
    plus most of what we are rovers said is actually true so go learn your facts before you have a go at people havin a discusion !

liverpool fans in ireland all think that liverpool have this great irish link they dont ,they were winning every thing when these guys were kids so they followed them ,just like the kids are utd fans now in ten years they will be going on about the great irish links .rubbish

some one said you can get celtic/liverpool scarfs of course you can you get them when the teams met in europe they are available for every game no matter who they play . but what i did notice was the abundence of liverpool /rangers scarfs at the carling cup final on sunday
    Last edited by anto1208; 03/03/2005 at 1:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    well if you arent interested in this topic then dont read the messages and reply to posts so its very easy to do !!!
    plus most of what we are rovers said is actually true so go learn your facts before you have a go at people havin a discusion !

liverpool fans in ireland all think that liverpool have this great irish link they dont ,they were winning every thing when these guys were kids so they followed them ,just like the kids are utd fans now in ten years they will be going on about the great irish links .rubbish

some one said you can get celtic/liverpool scarfs of course you can you get them when the teams met in europe they are available for every game no matter who they play . but what i did notice was the abundence of liverpool /rangers scarfs at the carling cup final on sunday
    I was at the match on Sunday and can't recall seeing one Liverpool/Rangers scarf. I spend a week or so every month in Liverpool for work and try to take in a game when there. I have never had a problem from the fans about been Irish. The LIverpool fans I have met couldn't give a toss about someones religion and don't appear to have any interest in Scottish football one way or the other. Liverpool is the only team they support as far as I can see.

I started supporting Liverpool after seeing them getting beat by Manu in the 1977 cup final. It was the first live match I had watched on TV. Can't remember why I decided LIverpool and not Manu but it wasn't because of any perceived historical Irish link.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast