Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: everton/liverpool catholic/protestant

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    ( sudo means false in case you dont understand )
    Its Pseudo for the record. That is unless you are referring to Sudo as in Cream to help you with your nappy rash?

just coz liverpool sing a song with the same tune as the fields of.... but with completly different words mean nothing .
    Im glad you put us all straight on that one. Rangers fans also sing a song to the tune of 'The Fields ...' Perhaps I was wrong about them afterall.......................
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    if you paid attention you would see that no one thinks its important it was just something that cropped up about the history of 2 of the most important teams in footballing history
    Post of the Month contender surely?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    Not being smart but do you mean 'pseudo' ?
    If so, its not so much 'false' as in wrong its more 'fake', 'simulated' or 'pretend'.

i dont have time to be worried about spelling s ill leave that to the nerdy wells, cant be expected to know all 3 million words and phrases now can i

but both are in common usage in the english language so both are acceptable words , no one would give out about shakespeare and he invented 1200 new words ( slang and other words that are in common useage today and considered propper english )

"Im glad you put us all straight on that one. Rangers fans also sing a song to the tune of 'The Fields ...' Perhaps I was wrong about them afterall......................."

no but it shows the fact that just coz liverpool fans sing this song does nt make them irish as was being suggested earlier
    Last edited by anto1208; 04/03/2005 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    if you paid attention you would see that no one thinks its important it was just something that cropped up about the history of 2 of the most important teams in footballing history
    The name of the thread is "everton/liverpool catholic/protestant "
    Kind of sets the tone for the thread,so it hardly just cropped up
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    Read the book - Ajax, The Dutch, The War.
    It is a great insight into the Dutch mentality. I thought only the Irish were mixed up. Its a fabulous read. Jewish fans supoprted the club in the early days (Amsterdam=Diamonds) as the old stadium was located in the Jewish part of town and then obviously with WWII it was covered up. They are NOT a Jewish club but did have a following of Jewish fans. Outside of Poland, Amsterdam had the highest proportion of Jews killed during the war.
    Recently YES they have been selling Israeli flags outside the stadium.

PS I was only joking about being 'shocked' to wind up WeAreRovers.
    Heard the Ajax Jewish connection discussed on the radio earlier this week (think it was Dunphy's show). Apparently the Ajax fans sing something along the lines of "we are the super jews". Not sure if it is just to wind other fans up. The Feyenoord fans apparently make hissing noises in response, intended to sound like the release of gas in the gas chambers
    Last edited by Dotsy; 04/03/2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B
    The name of the thread is "everton/liverpool catholic/protestant "
    Kind of sets the tone for the thread,so it hardly just cropped up

this is why i made sure to make the first line of the first post "of coarse this doesnt matter in football but ive been asked this a few times and thought ye may be interested"

i had been asked this countless times while living in ireland and went and found the correct answer since i had been asked so often i thought some one on here may also have been asked this question and may be interested in it .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ajax and the Jewish connection

Its not really a recent thing that they have been selling Star of David's outside the ground. The old ground was built in a Jewish area and the connection developed from there. The players in the 70's were very emersed in the Jewish culture, using Yiddish pharses and such.

When they were drawn against an Isreali team in the European or Uefa Cup the F-side were given a special welcome by the Isreali's (one of the Isreali papers went as far as to call the match a Jewish derby)

However some Jewish fans who go and watch Ajax are a bit embrassed by the behaviour of the F-side and point out the club aren't really Jewish. (info from David Winner's excelent 'Brilliant Orange'
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    Heard the Ajax Jewish connection discussed on the radio earlier this week (think it was Dunphy's show). Apparently the Ajax fans sing something along the lines of "we are the super jews". Not sure if it is just to wind other fans up. The Feyenoord fans apparently make hissing noises in response, intended to sound like the release of gas in the gas chambers
    Yeah fans do the same hissing sound when they are playing Spurs.
    Also the chant - 'There's only one Yassar Arafat'.
    Before he died obviously.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is only one religion at Liverpool Football Club and that religion my friend is Football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jockser
    There is only one religion at Liverpool Football Club and that religion my friend is Football

wha ????

being an evertoian ill have to disagree with you there

in the nicest possible way of coarse !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Its not really a recent thing that they have been selling Star of David's outside the ground. The old ground was built in a Jewish area and the connection developed from there. The players in the 70's were very emersed in the Jewish culture, using Yiddish pharses and such.

When they were drawn against an Isreali team in the European or Uefa Cup the F-side were given a special welcome by the Isreali's (one of the Isreali papers went as far as to call the match a Jewish derby)

However some Jewish fans who go and watch Ajax are a bit embrassed by the behaviour of the F-side and point out the club aren't really Jewish. (info from David Winner's excelent 'Brilliant Orange'

What has Ajax have got to do with this silly Liverpool/Everton religion debate. I'm Catholic and follow Liverpool. People in Liverpool couldn't care less if you were Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto or even a Pagan so long as you are one of their own side of the red/blue divide. This religion debate is downright pathetic and evrybody is brought down to a schoolboy level with this drivel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    ( sudo means false in case you dont understand )
    LOL. You're being condescending, yet you can't even spell Pseudo, or Protestant for that matter. Ah, the irony

no but it shows the fact that just coz liverpool fans sing this song does nt make them irish as was being suggested earlier
    For the second time, that's not what I was suggesting at all. Maybe you're the one who should pay more attention. What I was suggesting is that it proves that Liverpool FC and it's fans, i.e. the locals, don't give a toss what religon their fans are. The club has no religious attachment, it is a club for all, and the Irish are more welcome than any. At no time have I tried to prove that Liverpool FC are Irish or Catholic. (sorry about the misquote, copy and paste mistake)

BTW, the Rangers song to the theme of TFOA is an anti-irish song, full of vitriol. The Liverpool fans adopted the theme of TFOA after Irelands play-off with Holland at Anfield, as a tribute to the Irish fans vocal performance on the Kop. There's a hell of a difference there and no comparison really. Hun fans of a hun club wouldn't be adopting an Irish song in tribute to Irish fans, this religion thing is a load of utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by joey B
    This thread is typical Irish we always seem to worm Religion in anywere we possibly can.
    True, it'd take Irish fans to come up with crap like this, when the irony is the actual people of Liverpool couldn't give two sh*ts about religion, or stuff that happened in the 1800's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Myth - every survey ever done has proved otherwise. And stockport isn't in Manchester anyway

Actually no, United fly the international flag of the first teamers - not many times in the history of the club there hasn't been an irishman playing. Infact, during the long running "friendship" between United and Celtic (ruined by the RA songs at a friendly a few weeks after one of the Manchester (or could've been Warrington Bombings) flying the tricolour was used by Rangers fans to justify they're hatred of United (seriel Munich singers - Davros you've something in common with them).

Many English teams drew support from the Irish Diaspora, which sometime manifested itself in splits in two club cities. In Manchester, United were the Catholic Club, City the protestant club (United were nearly Manchester Celtic at the Newton Heath name change). Long time since it ever mattered though, thank fook...

I love the way people can go one about clubs in England being Catholic or Protestant and being split on lines of Religon, and then they go on about Celtic's fans being obbsessed with religon and hating others from other faiths and living in the past.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    What has Ajax have got to do with this silly Liverpool/Everton religion debate. I'm Catholic and follow Liverpool. People in Liverpool couldn't care less if you were Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto or even a Pagan so long as you are one of their own side of the red/blue divide. This religion debate is downright pathetic and evrybody is brought down to a schoolboy level with this drivel.
    You are quite quite right in what you say.
    There are some pathetic bigots on here say one club is worse than the other.
    Well TWO WRONGS etc.
    From my perspective I posted the thing about AJAX to wind them up (tongue in cheek) to show them how pathetic they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Amen to that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thread was about Liverpool, Everton, Catholic & Protestant. As an aside it developed into a a discussion on the Jewish identity that some Ajax fans have adopted, Judaism is a religion like Catholism & Protestantism, this is where it has relavence in this debate.
    Also would you not say that football clubs are about identity and some have religion as part of that identity? Some have local or regional pride, some have politics, so its not necessarially drivel (some posts maybe drivel others not so) its just something you don't like.
    And it is not strictly true that people in Liverpool couldn't care less about religion, you may one day wish to go to Southport Orange parade and hear all the scouse accents around. What you are looking to say is its the majority of people in Liverpool don't care about religion, just as some people in Liverpool could not care about football so would not really care if you are red or blue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    And it is not strictly true that people in Liverpool couldn't care less about religion, you may one day wish to go to Southport Orange parade and hear all the scouse accents around. What you are looking to say is its the majority of people in Liverpool don't care about religion, just as some people in Liverpool could not care about football so would not really care if you are red or blue.
    Isn't that not stating the obvious? I thought that would be taken as given, of course there are protestant supporters of Liverpool\Everton, even Orange Men. So what? Who cares?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Isn't that not stating the obvious? I thought that would be taken as given, of course there are protestant supporters of Liverpool\Everton, even Orange Men. So what? Who cares?
    Completely obvious, however it was in response to this rather sweeping simplistic statement;

People in Liverpool couldn't care less if you were Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto or even a Pagan so long as you are one of their own side of the red/blue divide.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    LOL. You're being condescending, yet you can't even spell Pseudo, or Protestant for that matter. Ah, the irony

What I was suggesting is that it proves that Liverpool FC and it's fans, i.e. the locals,
    as a tribute to the Irish fans vocal performance on the Kop.

pseudo or sudo are the same thing and are both acceptable spellings but i did nt think think there was a hard line grammer group running this forum

liverpool fans and locals !!!!! next you ll be saying utd fans come from manchester !

and that stuff about it being a tribute is nonsence , what did the fans say to them selfs hhhmmmm there is a song being sung really loudly by fans from a different country, lets take the song completly change all the words but keep the general tune as a tribute to them

and finally can i yet again point out that no one is saying this catolic/prod thing matters or that any one in liverpool cares i dont care if your catolic ,prodestant or austrialian ,
    it was only posted coz ive been asked it over and over again and i was nt sure so i found out the correct answer and thought to myself maybe there are other fans of liverpool or everton constantly being asked this question and might be interested in finding out the true answer .
    Last edited by anto1208; 08/03/2005 at 1:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    liverpool fans and locals !!!!! next you ll be saying utd fans come from manchester!
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...50309-1830.htm So Everton are the 'peoples club' are they, nobody in Liverpool supports Liverpool then? I could have sworn the addresses in that article were in Liverpool, maybe i'm seeing things.

and that stuff about it being a tribute is nonsence , what did the fans say to them selfs hhhmmmm there is a song being sung really loudly by fans from a different country, lets take the song completly change all the words but keep the general tune as a tribute to them
    That's just what the official Liverpool FC (and all the non-official) website(s) say how it originated. But they're all wrong. It's all rubbish, 'cos you're right anto, seeing that you see yourself as some kind of know-it-all spokesman on merseyside football fans. I've given links to back up my points, where is your proof that this is all 'nonsence'. It's only 'nonsence' because it suits you to dismiss it as 'nonsence'.

i dont care if your catolic ,prodestant or austrialian
    Never knew Australian was a religion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast