Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: everton/liverpool catholic/protestant

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no one is saying that either is really one way or the other it was asked of me a few times and i went found the actual answer that neither are catolic or irish and just though some people might be interested in the actual answer for the next time it crops up in conversation !!

and of coarse we all know it does nt matter coz we are nt scottish or nordies !!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everton are the new team of Merseyside, its time to move over Liverpool

Im not a toffees fan, Im a Burnley fan. but on seeing alot of evrtons games lately they have come an awfull long way, when liverpool seem to be at a stand still. Liverpool are constantly trying to live up to this super team that they have been labels as sine there glory days, well just for the liverpool fans out there, they are long gone. Its time that yee all woke up and smelt the coffee, unless something is drastically done with that team, yee are going no where for a long time. I saw Everton play last weekend against Villea and to say they were good is an understatement, they were brilliant, every time they attacked I thought they would score. David Moyes has done wonders with that club and long may it continue.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what a rubbish thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Have to say, after reading all this 'religion in sport' stuff its started me thinking. I found out last month that Ajax are a Jewish club - I'm still in shock.

Can all those Rovers and Celtic fans out there identify for me which of the following clubs that I should STOP supporting because they are not a Holy Catholic Club ;

Liverpool
    Ajax
    Milan
    Fiorentina
    Racing Club de Paris
    Real Madrid
    Boca Juniors
    Dynamo Dresden
    Dukla Prague
    Vasco da Gama
    Colo Colo
    Real Mallorca
    Shamrock Rovers (but may change to Pats)

Also what is the Sinn Fein/IRA stance on all this ?

Can you be a Republican AND support Liverpool ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jockser
    what a rubbish thread
    good contribution you idiot what did you expect from the tittle !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I dunno, but it seems he certainly wasn't expecting the whole Everton/Liverpool/Catholic/Protestant thing anyway...
    He certainly wasnt expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    good contribution you idiot what did you expect from the tittle !!!
    i expected a rubbish thread and yup i was right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    Fiorentina
    Defo taigs, they have a shirne of the the Virgin Mary built into one of the stands. FACT
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I dunno, but it seems he certainly wasn't expecting the whole Everton/Liverpool/Catholic/Protestant thing anyway...

But I do think this thread is a subtle wind up. It really cannot be that big a deal nowadays surely.

its not a big deal that is why i started by saying it isnt important but i had been asked a few times and thought since it keeps cropping up some one might be interested in an actuall answer based in facts not stuff like they have scarfs that say liverpool and celtic so they are irish ...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    (United were nearly Manchester Celtic at the Newton Heath name change). Long time since it ever mattered though, thank fook...
    There you have it; Man Utd have no heratage or history, they just want to forget about their roots.

Oh it mattered enough though for a brief centenery kit in 1992/3 season.
    Last edited by Pat O' Banton; 03/03/2005 at 5:38 PM. Reason: remembered the kit change
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Definitive proof :

KOP = King Over Pope

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.toffeeweb.com/fans/beingblue/religion.asp

please read this article which I hope will clear up this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    I appreciate that if you're young you would naturally assume LFC had strong Irish links and yes they do - with travel agents and Loyalists. After Rangers LFC are the number one club of choice for the discerning Loyalist thug
    - Well Shamrock Rovers are the number one club of choice for chav scum, scumbags, scangers, armchair republicans, and in general the discerning common\republican thug. Whether you like it or not, Rovers have an awful lot in common with those Rangers boys in Glasgow......Ye should join up, fight each other, isn't that what yer all about at Rovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    Liverpool's founder was a man by the name of John Houlding.
    I stand corrected, Houlding was actually the financial driving force behind Everton football club, and it was he who brought them to Anfield in the first place. When the dispute arose over rent, Everton left Anfield, Houlding left Everton and stayed on to form Liverpool Football Club. So Evertons origins are not Catholic. Source http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/lfc_story/1882.htm

some one might be interested in an actuall answer based in facts not stuff like they have scarfs that say liverpool and celtic so they are irish ...........
    Read what I said FFS, I never said or claimed Liverpool were Irish. I said Liverpool FC and their supporters don't give a toss about religion. But you'll twist it to suit yourself to win an arguement. Go back and read what I said, try and grasp it for what it's worth

KOP = King Over Pope
    Common misconception, KOP = King Over Pope is bullsh*t. The Kop was named after the Spion Kop hill in South Africa, where locals fought for the army in the Boer war.
    "The Kop at Anfield dates back to 1905-06. At the end of that season which saw Liverpool lift the second of their league championships the directors at the club decided to reward the loyalty of the fans by building a new brick and cinder banking at the Walton Breck road end of the ground. It was christened as the Spion Kop by Ernest Jones in memory of the many scousers who died in battle over a hill in South Africa by the same name during the Boer War."
    Source http://www.liverweb.org.uk/kop.htm

Regarding 'The Fields of Anfield Road', this is the history of how Liverpool fans adopted the Irish song:
    "The original 'Fields Of Athenry' was written in 1979 and soon adopted by Celtic fans, but arguably the first time it was sung at Anfield was December 1995, when Ireland lost to Holland in their Euro 96 play-off. The website of Eircom, sponsors of the Republic side, recalls: "Nobody who was present at Anfield will ever forget the occasion. From the moment the Irish fans appeared in the famous Liverpool Kop, strains of 'The Fields Of Athenry' began to echo around the ground. At the other end, the massed ranks of Dutch supporters could only watch in admiration." The Liverpool version is believed to have originated in The Oakfield pub, home of the Liverpool Away Supporters Club, around 1997." The Hallmarks of a Hun club alright
    Source http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/lfc_story/classics/ - and follow link.

Just thought I'd produce some facts, seeing that a lot of people are talking sh*t in this thread. And while we're on the Catholic v Protestant thing, who actually cares? I consider myself a Catholic, but only by birth. I am not a practicing catholic because I think it is a joke religion. The church is a joke, it's beliefs are dated and in some cases ridiculous, the church cermony, i.e. mass is laughable. It's the only religion where people attend, and stay at the back of the church so that they can leave as early as possible. People leave after communion. It's farcical! Not to mention the corruption and sexual abuse being an absolute disgrace.
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 03/03/2005 at 11:18 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    Have to say, after reading all this 'religion in sport' stuff its started me thinking. I found out last month that Ajax are a Jewish club - I'm still in shock.
    They arent and never were.
    I know sounds very weird as they have adopted 'jewishness' but the club has no major Jewish tradition and indeed the vast majority who attent matchdays have no attachment to Isreal or the Jweish religion..............they do it simply to annoy the other clubs as bizarre as it sounds.

There was an article on this very subject a few weeks back in either The Times or The Guardian, cant remember which.

As for the topic I always though Everton were the 'catholic team' and Liverpool the 'prodestant team'.
    Dunno how or why I came to that conclusion but I presume someone told me years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmenToThat
    They arent and never were.
    I know sounds very weird as they have adopted 'jewishness' but the club has no major Jewish tradition and indeed the vast majority who attent matchdays have no attachment to Isreal or the Jweish religion..............they do it simply to annoy the other clubs as bizarre as it sounds.

There was an article on this very subject a few weeks back in either The Times or The Guardian, cant remember which.
    Read the book - Ajax, The Dutch, The War.
    It is a great insight into the Dutch mentality. I thought only the Irish were mixed up. Its a fabulous read. Jewish fans supoprted the club in the early days (Amsterdam=Diamonds) as the old stadium was located in the Jewish part of town and then obviously with WWII it was covered up. They are NOT a Jewish club but did have a following of Jewish fans. Outside of Poland, Amsterdam had the highest proportion of Jews killed during the war.
    Recently YES they have been selling Israeli flags outside the stadium.

PS I was only joking about being 'shocked' to wind up WeAreRovers.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Declan_Michael

please read this article which I hope will clear up this thread.
    and this is excatly what i said that it was set up by the same people both prodistant ! from the same church and that neither are catolic or irish .

thank you for proving me right !!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    -

The Hallmarks of a Hun club alright

well yes coz you see they were set up by the same people if you bothered to read the messages properly you would see that both clubs are set up by the same people from st. domingo's church a prodistant church so neither are irish or catolic as i have been saying all along .
    because everton are the club for the ordinary people of liverpool and most of them are irish this led to a sudo irish feel about the club .
    liverpools irish feel comes from when irish kids started following them in the 80's and are now in there 20's same as all the kids jumping on the united band wagon now !

( sudo means false in case you dont understand )

just coz liverpool sing a song with the same tune as the fields of.... but with completly different words mean nothing .

plus for the record i did nt say any thing about king over pope even though you qouted me as saying it !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    This thread is typical Irish we always seem to worm Religion in anywere we possibly can. STOP IT!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    ( sudo means false in case you dont understand )
    Not being smart but do you mean 'pseudo' ?
    If so, its not so much 'false' as in wrong its more 'fake', 'simulated' or 'pretend'.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B
    This thread is typical Irish we always seem to worm Religion in anywere we possibly can. STOP IT!

if you paid attention you would see that no one thinks its important it was just something that cropped up about the history of 2 of the most important teams in footballing history

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast