Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures - Friday 22nd Sept to Monday 25th Sept

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    One step forward, two steps back. For once, can't complain about us creating nothing because Shaw alone missed three sitters and their keeper pulled off some great saves. Not sure what Cronin was thinking playing Webster in midfield when Bolger has been flying since breaking into the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Dundalk didn't play that well earlier. They were probably fortunate to get the equaliser, even if they did play a bit better in the final third of the game. Duffy and McEleney couldn't get into it until O'Donnell came on. I thought Cork defended very tightly generally, bar the goal.

Hoare was lucky to remain on the pitch, considering he was already on a yellow card when he made a very poor/dangerous tackle just after the hour-mark. That later tackle definitely should have been a booking at least, although maybe the ref looked upon it more leniently in order to compensate for dishing out yellows like sweets earlier in the game.

Just going back to Cork's goal; should a penalty have been given to Cork instead of a goal as Gartland definitely handled the ball (he even instinctively pulled his hand behind his body immediately afterwards to try and make the hand-ball look less conspicuous before it became apparent the ball was going to bounce into the net) or can advantage be played on a hand-ball in the box? The hand-ball could be seen more clearly in the replay angles to the sides behind the nets. In fairness, I don't think any of the officials would have spotted it.

It's ridiculous that RTÉ think they can get away with just sacking doing a proper Soccer Republic programme tonight because they briefly showed some highlights from other games over the weekend before the Cork-Dundalk game. Clearly, three hours of LOI football coverage would be just too much for RTÉ to show in one day...

And just another thing... George Hamilton displayed his LOI-ignorance/EPL-centrism in commentary when he spoke of Cork fans "doing 'the Poznań'" a short while after Cork went 1-0 up. EPL fans and observers call it "the Poznań" as they would have (presumably) first encountered it when Manchester City fans started doing it after seeing Lech Poznań fans do it during the two teams' 2010 Europa League tie.

The terrace "dance" has a different origin in LOI circles, however; it would be more correct to call it "la Grecque/Grek" when it makes an appearance in the LOI as I'm pretty certain Cork fans adopted it (well before 2010) after Derry fans originally introduced it to the LOI upon first doing it in the Parc des Princes in Paris exactly eleven years ago on Thursday. Derry fans got it from the away leg of the 2006 UEFA Cup first round tie against PSG after the home fans there performed it so impressively and Derry fans reciprocated (as you can see from the photo and video below). I can only assume PSG fans borrowed it from a Greek team they once played, hence why they called it "la Grecque/Grek".

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Even when we lose I prefer it to the fenlon days we missed Clarke and Burke but have to be able to miss a few players...strengthen for next season in a few positions plus boyd Doona Bolger and Clarke getting better all the time....reasons to be hopeful..

But it's the hope that kills you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

Just going back to Cork's goal; should a penalty have been given to Cork instead of a goal as Gartland definitely handled the ball (he even instinctively pulled his hand behind his body immediately afterwards to try and make the hand-ball look less conspicuous before it became apparent the ball was going to bounce into the net) or can advantage be played on a hand-ball in the box? The hand-ball could be seen more clearly in the replay angles to the sides behind the nets. In fairness, I don't think any of the officials would have spotted it.
    Advantage can be played anywhere on the pitch but I actually think it should have been a free out. When Hoare kicks the ball up towards Gartland, Keohane(I think?) came flying in and tackled Hoare just after the ball was gone. It was a poor goal to give away but I think it should have been a free out.
    Overall Cork did what they've done to us the last few times we've played down there. The played with high intensity and didn't let us have any time on the ball. We were lucky to come away with a point really. It is concerning that Cork seem to be able to get up for these games against us but we can't.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    If they should have had a penalty but got a goal, that's about as clear a case for playing the advantage as it's possible to suggest.

Goal > Penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Not that it really matters, but Hoare was clearly fouled for the goal. If his clearance had flown out of the box he definitely would have got a free for the very late tackle from Keohane. It got lost in the excitement of the deflection and goal I think. But then Massey could have been off for two terrible tackles before that and Hoare could have been off too.

Cork defended excellently and deserved at least the draw. It was always going to be hard once we went behind but we need a little more from our midfielders when faced with an ultra-defensive, ultra-committed opposition. Dundalk struggle to match Cork's intensity and commitment these days. At least Dundalk dug deep to spoil the party.

Great to see TC absolutely rammed (over-sold?) and hopping... only a matter of time before they seal a well earned title.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Great to see TC absolutely rammed (over-sold?) and hopping... only a matter of time before they seal a well earned title.
    I reckon there was more than what was announced, my season ticket didn't scan so was just told head on in without it being counted. Could've been just mine now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Stuck in some sort of footballing purgatory. Another 2 plus weeks until the next league game.

At least the performance of team settled the nerves somewhat and indicated a brighter future than a lot were giving us credit for.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I've rarely seen so many free-kicks in a game. Without Maguire, Cork are a rather horrible team to watch - spoilers and hoof-ball merchants. But they did seem to have about 20 players on the pitch running around all over the place. They'll need a bit more guile if they're going to do anything in Europe next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Winning it last night would have been special, but I think this is a better result for us. If we had won last night I think we would have lost on Friday and any hope of the double would be gone.As it is we've proven we can still compete with the best this league has to offer and we should not fear anyone for the rest of the season. A performance even 75% as good as last night should be enough to take care of Limerick, and you know that they will want to show they can beat Limerick after last Friday.
    If we were to face Dundalk at Lansdowne again it would be a very tough game, the bigger pitch definitely suits Dundalk more, but we'd give them everything in that game.

What was Dundalks winning streak before last night by the way? Thats twice they've gone on a winning run and been stopped by us this season.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Was hoping Cork would win and go on a 3-day bender before the cup game this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If they should have had a penalty but got a goal, that's about as clear a case for playing the advantage as it's possible to suggest.

Goal > Penalty.
    That would make sense, but I was trying to think if I'd ever seen advantage being played on a hand-ball before and nothing sprung to mind. That's certainly not to say it hasn't happened though. Indeed, I may even have seen it happen and forgotten!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    If we had won last night I think we would have lost on Friday and any hope of the double would be gone.
    Why, because the lads would go on a mad sesh or just not be bothered with cup?
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Why, because the lads would go on a mad sesh or just not be bothered with cup?
    Mad sesh. That and the emotion of the whole thing could potentially lead to a bit of a deflating night on Friday. With a two week break after Friday we have no excuse not to go all out against Limerick.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Mad sesh. That and the emotion of the whole thing could potentially lead to a bit of a deflating night on Friday. With a two week break after Friday we have no excuse not to go all out against Limerick.
    Dosnt matter now but surely they would have waited until after the game Friday to go on the sesh!
    Well id hope they would, as your club pay them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Maybe not a bad point had it been deflating if Cork won last night. Dundalk lost 4-2 away to Bray on a Tues night 48 hours after winning the league on the previous Sunday last year, this was the game when the infamous tweet was sent by the Sligo manager at the time 'integrity'

Think it was about our 10th game that month!

It must have been deflating though to concede in the 87th min all the same last night, but does it matter that much now, only a matter of time for them to win it from their perspective.

For Dundalk it was a good match to get ready for Rovers, we just need to start so much better, as we were dreadful in that first half, credit though for getting something out of the game and to keep going for the last 10/15.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It must have been deflating though to concede in the 87th min all the same last night, but does it matter that much now, only a matter of time for them to win it from their perspective.
    Not at all, everyone was in a great mood leaving the stadium. Given how poor our performances have been for the last few weeks this was a nice reminder that we are top for a number of reasons, one of which was Sean Maguire, but another was how difficult we make it for teams in midfield. Conor McCormack is a gem. Thanks Brexit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Not at all, everyone was in a great mood leaving the stadium.
    I was in a terrible mood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Hopefully you win it at home to Derry on the Monday before you play Pats
    Here on a technicality.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Not at all, everyone was in a great mood leaving the stadium. Given how poor our performances have been for the last few weeks this was a nice reminder that we are top for a number of reasons, one of which was Sean Maguire, but another was how difficult we make it for teams in midfield. Conor McCormack is a gem. Thanks Brexit.
    I doubt that now El P, really ?? the silence for a start when Dlk scored and almost every fan with their hands on their heads at the shed end, look I`ll be honest, I'd have been very disappointed if the boot was on the other foot.
    Last edited by oriel; 26/09/2017 at 10:25 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast