Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterford Promoted

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Wasn't impressed by Waterford this season, certainly didn't walk it like limerick done. They need plenty of big signings if they are to stay up which I'm sure they will manage to pull of as well. Would put good money on Bolger being a blue next season. One thing Waterford do already have in their ranks is two of the best strikers in the country, will be a huge advantage next season

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    One thing Waterford do already have in their ranks is two of the best strikers in the country, will be a huge advantage next season
    You should work for Sky, you know that?

You have a real habit of being really certain things are the best ever when in fact you're talking nonsense.

46 goals in 27 games - four of them against an Athlone side trying to concede goals - does not point to having two of the best forwards in the country. I'd say the three Premier Division teams to outscore them all have better strikers for starters. And then there's the two First Division players outscored the Waterford duo as well.

Waterford have won the league more on their defence than their attack.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You should work for Sky, you know that?

You have a real habit of being really certain things are the best ever when in fact you're talking nonsense.

46 goals in 27 games - four of them against an Athlone side trying to concede goals - does not point to having two of the best forwards in the country. I'd say the three Premier Division teams to outscore them all have better strikers for starters. And then there's the two First Division players outscored the Waterford duo as well.

Waterford have won the league more on their defence than their attack.
    ie Kenny Browne.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    23 goals between O'Sullivan and McDaid won't worry any Premier Division team, any decent striker with the top team in this appalling first division would be hitting a minimum of 20 goals themselves

Lee Power has already confirmed Waterford will be going full time next season so the finance looks like it will be there to compete and strengthen in the Premier next season because they need too if it's to last longer than one season
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Wasn't impressed by Waterford this season, certainly didn't walk it like limerick done. They need plenty of big signings if they are to stay up which I'm sure they will manage to pull of as well. Would put good money on Bolger being a blue next season. One thing Waterford do already have in their ranks is two of the best strikers in the country, will be a huge advantage next season
    Have they got 2 new strikers coming in next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Jeez if the Waterford strikers are that good Kieran Marty waters must be Ronaldo in disguise playing for cabo....isnt he top scorer ??
    Last edited by sbgawa; 26/09/2017 at 12:02 AM.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I don't know a lot about McDaid, but I do know about O'Sullivan. We've missed him at the tail end of this season. He creates so much out of very little. He might not be a prolific scorer, but he's well up there. If only we could shave 3/4 years off of him and sign him back!
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Will Waterford get a First Division Trophy for winning the league at Cobh tomorrow night and will Cobh get anything for finishing second?
    &
    Anyone know what the prize money for the First Division is?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Premier Division prize-money: €371,500
    Premier Division affiliation fees: €204,000 (€17,000 x 12)

Champions: €110,000
    Runners-up: €55,000
    3rd: €35,000
    4th: €25,000
    5th: €21,000
    6th €19.500
    7th: €18,500
    8th: €18,000
    9th: €18,000
    10th: €17,500
    11th: €17,000
    12th: €17,000

First Division prize-money: €104,000
    First Division affiliation fees: €64,000 (€8,000 x 8)

Champions: €30,000
    Runners-up: €17,500
    3rd: €12,000
    4th: €10,500
    5th: €9,500
    6th: €8,500
    7th: €8,000
    8th: €8,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford already got their trophy at the RSC last Friday and the Cobh game is not on until next Saturday 7 October.
    Most Waterford fans are very surprised that not only did Davy McDaid get in the first division team of the season ahead of Mark O'Sullivan but he also got nominated for first division player of the year. Most fans wouldn't have had him in our top 3 players this season. I saw half our games this season and he did play well at times and scored some nice goals but we had better, more consistent players than him.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Will Waterford get a First Division Trophy for winning the league at Cobh tomorrow night and will Cobh get anything for finishing second?
    &
    I found it shocking that Waterford game v us didnt even feature in the Cork City game last Monday. think thats very unfair. I know it was on the RTE news at 6 on Saturday but what about the highlights package in the goals roundup?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I found it shocking that Waterford game v us didnt even feature in the Cork City game last Monday. think thats very unfair. I know it was on the RTE news at 6 on Saturday but what about the highlights package in the goals roundup?
    Welcome to the First Division. So glad that will be gone from next Saturday evening, hopefully for a long, long time.

15. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    If the money dries up suddenly there could be worse fates than being back in the first division..
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Poor Cobh Ramblers, nothing to play for most of their season, finished 2nd fairly easily. The competition for second was never really a challenge, it was down to whoever had the best form. Ramblers did just enough to achieve this even though they can afford to loose the last 3/4 games. Not very attractive to the fan!
    The FAI should have had some form of play-off involving the relegation teams and the first division runners up to keep the interest for the fans.

But when did the FAI consider what the fans want, thank god for the Senior International team and the leagues can be forgotten about by the hierarchy!

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    McDaid underwhelmed this season. Marky was fantastic but his back is in bits so I wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day. And the travelling from Derry might be too much for McDaid with a young family so I could see us starting from scratch up front. I'd say we could get someone from the English or Scottish leagues but Aaron Greene looks a strong possibility too. Browne, Barrett and McClean will give us a strong base with Paul Keegan likely paired with Greg Bolger (unless Cork change his mind). We have fantastic young players coming through that a lot of people mightn't be aware of like Derek Daly and John Martin. I hope we can keep Sander Puri too. A lot of the others are well capable of playing Premier Division but will have to fight for their places with whoever is brought in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Just on the money thing, I know we've all seen clubs go down the swanny but we literally have nothing to lose! It's entirely Lee Power's money and it's real, in-the-bank money....not like property developer money that we all learned just meant greater access to credit. If he ever pulled out overnight, we'd go downhill but we'd still be a lot better off than before he came. He can't sell our assets because we have none!! The ground is leased and guaranteed from the council. The training facilities are superb but belong to WIT. We only own a couple of footballs. Supposedly, he offered €6 million to buy the RSC this year but the council could never sell it. But he has bought land adjacent to it and is negotiating with the council about upgrading the stadium.

One difference between him and some wealthy owners is he's obviously an extremely shrewd businessman. It's in his interest for us to thrive. He has ambitions for doing well with us for what is a relative pittance to him. Europe is a target for him (possibly partly down to having played for Norwich in the San Siro) but would cost him hundreds of millions to achieve at Swindon. He could at least aim for it here for pocket money. If he wants to bring us to a position where he can sell the club for a profit, then that's fine by us! We'd have to be in pretty decent shape for that to happen. Our previous chairman was reasonably wealthy, but not in the same league as Power so it was a labour of love, throwing good money after bad until he had to rein it in eventually. Power definitely has the resources and seems very motivated about it so I'm hopeful. As far as I can see, if he does a Gerry Gannon on it and pulls out overnight, the worst that can happen is we go back to local money, still have the RSC, and at least we've reawakened the interest in the club locally and hooked a few naive young fans who don't know the years of torment they're letting themselves in for!

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    The FAI should have had some form of play-off involving the relegation teams and the first division runners up to keep the interest for the fans.
    Relegating 3 teams with relatively little notice was already criminal, before they made the nonsensical decision to do away with the FD playoffs.

Moving things around to make it look like they are doing something, without actually doing anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    One difference between him and some wealthy owners is he's obviously an extremely shrewd businessman.
    Don't necessarily want to put a downer on your post - on the one hand, I don't really know the ins and outs of Power, but on the other hand, an awful lot of what you've said could be applied at lots of other clubs - but I don't think the above bit is true. I think you'd struggle to find a wealthy owner who isn't shrewd.

It's easy to mock, but wealthy businessmen are generally successful (kind of by definition), and that's generally not by accident.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    What I mean is that he's a businessman rather than a fan. The previous chairman was a fan. He was always going to put in the money just to keep the club alive. That's how I'd view a Brian Lennox (off the top of my head) or plenty of other owners who are fans of their local club. That's not Lee Power's motivation. He wants to drive us on to a level where good money will be coming into the club. While that has its own inherent dangers, I like the idea of him needing the club to be efficient in order to achieve that. Businesses are better run when they are driven like that as opposed to being a hobbyhorse for an owner. I suppose what I'm getting at is that if I won the Euromillions and bought the club, I would invest one way or the other. That doesn't apply for him. He needs the club to be successful to make it worthwhile. The resources needed to get us to that position are fairly minimal for him so I'm confident he'll achieve his aim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think the Bray owners are businessmen rather than fans too!

26. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast