Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Need To Talk About cork city

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

We Need To Talk About cork city

cork city are going to wrap up Sean Maguire's league title over the next week or two possibly even as early as Monday. I don't think any league of ireland fan would begrudge Sean Maguire this honour. It was an incredible achievement by Sean Maguire to win the league this season.

But the elevation of cork city fc and their "manager" john caulfield as a near unrelated by product of Sean Maguires success in winning the league this season raises some issues which the whole league needs to be aware of. Just a few off the top of my head:

Europe: obviously there's a lot of coefficient fans on here. When cork city without Sean Maguire lose 3 0 on aggregate to the champions of andorra it's going to set the league back years.

Fan Ownership: I'm going to use two examples from the match last night which I feel illustrate the issues with fan Ownership on a tiny scale like the scale you see practised in cork.

1. For the second time in a row heroes in the cork support racially abused 20 year old Limerick player and all round nice guy Chedozie Ogbene. Would this have happened if something other than the cork board putting their fingers in their ears had happened the first time? Will some more heroes go for the three in a row in the Joe Delaney Stand next Friday? Probably since their board obviously have absolutely no interest in tackling racism.

2. Which brings me nearly to point two. cork city have a reasonably large group of what can only be described as misfortunes following them aping the casual culture in the UK. Some of these kids are barred from all areas of Turner's Cross including the Joe Delaney Stand. My sources tell me that Limerick FC requested the IDs of these individuals and the board of cork city actively obstructed Limericks efforts. The end result? A group of lads from cork got a hiding because they travelled up to Limerick intent on causing trouble because they knew that sneaking regarders on the cork board have their backs with regard to entry to games.

And this is one of the problem with fan ownership on a tiny scale like they have in cork. Clowns get promoted above their station because they are "sound lads" and they then have to maintain the appearance of being sound lads often to the detriment of the proper running off their club.

Look in the dugout. john caulfield a man who wouldn't even have been considered for the job if he wasn't an ex player and now remains in the job basically because he's not a jackeen. A man who is incapable of a modicum of class despite the fact he has been handed a procession by Sean Maguire. He spent more time in the Limerick technical area than the cork technical area last night. That's what players want to see when they are a goal down and they look to the sideline in a tight away game, a tiny little man running up and down in and blind panic cursing and swearing at nothing in particular. What was the plan last night? Kick ogbene and everything will work out? A stronger board would have clipped this fellas wings long ago unless he can convince Sean Maguire to come home and win him a league single handedly again I'll be astonished if he sees next summer.

Then you have things like people who should know better voting the home of the Joe Delaney Stand Turner's Cross as the best ground in the league despite the fact the away section is reminiscent of an internment camp from a Balkan war. Again small time stuff from their board everyone is a paying customer after all.

Then you have the situation in glanmire where "cork citys" new training facility now has a completion date set at three years after the fai finish their training centre on the moon. Again would a board that wasn't made up of a few of the lads maybe have a little more clout with pushing this forward?

Look I don't want this to come across like I'm having a go for the sake of it. I'll reiterate once again: Sean Maguire single handedly winning the league was an incredible achievement that will rightly be talked about for years. But I'm just point out that having sat on the toilet thinking about it for ten minutes is it fair to say that for cork city to have success in anything other than the shortest of short term they should maybe have a small look at themselves rather than another round of high fives at a supporters direct meeting??

Discuss the issues.

No club bashing please if at all possible. Only constructive suggestions for cork city. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    cork city are going to wrap up Sean Maguire's league title over the next week or two possibly even as early as Monday. I don't think any league of ireland fan would begrudge Sean Maguire this honour. It was an incredible achievement by Sean Maguire to win the league this season.

But the elevation of cork city fc and their "manager" john caulfield as a near unrelated by product of Sean Maguires success in winning the league this season raises some issues which the whole league needs to be aware of.
    It wasn't just Maguire, Cork's back four for the first few months of the season was as tight and organised as I've seen in the league.

If Cork go on and win it, it will be a deserved win. Cork fans won't like the way they have collapsed of late, but I'm sure it won't take too much away from their celebrations.

As for Caulfield, the question Cork fans will be asking themselves is whether their early season team was one that Caulfield stumbled across or proof that he knows what he is doing.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I am only sitting down watching the cork match. Why was Robbie Williams signed in the first place? It was some breakdown in communication between him and Greg Bolger. But it was Williams that was the culprit. As long as Robbie keeps playing from the start I think Dundalk could catch Cork and my betting money is on Dundalk to beat Cork Monday night!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Limerick were 5/1 last night and Tosi was 15/1 to score. Just saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    No club bashing please if at all possible. Only constructive suggestions for cork city. Thanks
    Yes, because there's absolutely no bashing whatsoever of any club in your own post...

Obviously, Maguire contributed a huge deal to Cork's present position - that's undeniable - but to repeatedly claim that he - and only he - won the league (and not Cork) is tantamount to club-bashing for me, as it completely disregards and demeans the contribution of others at the club. It's as if you're suggesting that the title (assuming Cork win it) won't really be theirs and their fans' to celebrate, and you're rubbing that idea in their faces.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Glad everyone is taking the serious stuff from the post cos the Sean Maguire stuff is the important bit not the continued racist abuse of a young man.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    What was the nature of the racist abuse? How many Cork 'fans' involved? Have Limerick fans reported this to the Gardai?
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I would hope somebody in the vicinity of the vile racist scum did their Civic duty.

For my own part I personally pointed out one of their heroes to a member of the Garda when he threw a spent flare at Rodrigo after we scored.

Unfortunately I was suffering from intemperance at the time so I don't know how seriously my complaint was taken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    What was the nature of the racist abuse? How many Cork 'fans' involved? Have Limerick fans reported this to the Gardai?
    Limerick fans weren't near it to report it to Gardai Cork fans were and they didn't bother. He was called the N word and told to "f**k back to Africa" this is all coming from Cork fans that were right in the vicinity of the person doing it. They are saying it was just one but just one is too much especially considering the exact same thing happened the lad in Turners cross.

To just stand there and even tell the fella doing it be quiet instead of getting him out of the ground and banned is a disgrace.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    A Limerick fan complaining about Turners Cross is a bit rich considering that Limerick played for many years at the joke/embarrassment of a "venue" that was Jackman Park.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Glad everyone is taking the serious stuff from the post cos the Sean Maguire stuff is the important bit not the continued racist abuse of a young man.
    The serious stuff would probably be taken more seriously if it wasn't so tightly wrapped in a load of aul' sh!te, tbh. And I'm not even a Cork fan.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    The serious stuff would probably be taken more seriously if it wasn't so tightly wrapped in a load of aul' sh!te, tbh. And I'm not even a Cork fan.
    Perfect excuse to completely ignore a lad being racially abused alright.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Racial abuse is wrong every time, but EatYerGreens comment is spot on about the opening post

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It seems the real crime here is mixing good natured (I hope) WUMery with serious comments. Can someone advise how I can go about informing the Guards so the individual concerned is rightly punished? Then we can talk about the trifling matter of racist abuse in the LOI.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    If that happened, perhaps Limerick FC should be filing some sort of complaint with the league to show support for their player and employee.
    Obviously fans and guards in the area should have acted at the time as well as Limerick FC stewards.
    Cork City should ban the idiot from all their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Are you still banned from Turners Cross for abusing a female volunteer?

21. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Then just post only about the racial abuse it that's your agenda, not all the other ridiculous comment, but then again, you and I know that it is the other stuff that's really important to you don't we!

Grow up and put your fishing rod away!
    Last edited by buzz442; 24/09/2017 at 1:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Are you still banned from Turners Cross for abusing a female volunteer?
    I've never in my life been banned from Turners Cross but I'm glad your attitude towards the matter is well our fans might have made racist comments but your fans did something too shows a lot about you.

Also shows Corks attitude as a whole there is a Limerick fan banned for near 5 years now for imitating some stupid online video that was going round at the time namely that "f**k her right in the p****" nonsense. Now him being banned for a bit for saying that absolutely fine but for him to be banned for 5 years for that and Cork fans to be outraged by it and then for them to do absolutely nothing and seem to be barely bothered by the second episode of open racism among their support is sickening hypocrisy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz442 View Post
    Then just post only about the racial abuse it that's your agenda, not all the other ridiculous comment, but then again, you and I know that it is the other stuff that's really important to you don't we!

Grow up and put your fishing rod away!
    I have only posted about the racial abuse try actually reading what has been said and by who it comes in handy. I detest racism and if it would actually be in your mind that I'd use it for stupid point scoring on an internet forum then it says more about you then me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This is the racist abuse you didn't actually hear, right?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast