Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Investigation into Bray-Waterford Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    http://sseairtricityleague.ie/news/s...ers-fc/id-1063

"The Football Association of Ireland has launched an investigation into alleged match-fixing surrounding the friendly match between Bray Wanderers FC and Waterford FC on Friday, September 8 at the Carlisle Grounds.Upon receipt of a complaint the FAI notified An Garda Siochanna and the Association has now launched an investigation into alleged breaches of FAI Rules.
    The FAI has a zero tolerance policy to match-fixing."
    Who would have made the complaint? Could anyone potentially make a complaint about a game and an investigation would ensue without any other supporting evidence besides that individual's suspicions? Is it possible someone thought the scoreline was odd and made a complaint solely on that basis? Is there even evidence of irregular betting patterns?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I didn't even know you could place a bet on a friendly match ? and more so I never even heard this game was on.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I didn't even know you could place a bet on a friendly match ?
    Ah, ye can, and ye'd be surprised how many people bet on them.
    Any time we do poorly in a pre-season friendly, there's an inevitable tirade of abuse on the club's Facebook page from foreigners who've lost money. It's very funny to watch.
    Have you ever won the treble?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I was at the game and was shocked that an almost full-strength Bray side were so dreadful. There didn't seem anything odd about any of the goals, just that Bray simply didn't play. They had one shot on target in the first half and were 0-3 down at half time I think one other shot in the second. I wondered at the time what we were gaining from a friendly like that when we so poor. I'm disgusted that the club I love is back in the headlines again for all the wrong reasons and I wonder what frame of mind the players might be in for a big game tomorrow night.
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Going by the last investigation, every player who mis-kicked the ball could be in line for a year long ban.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    ....I wonder what frame of mind the players might be in for a big game tomorrow night.
    It's not that big a game really though? Bray will be grand on 38 points, can't see Sligo beating that.

Agreed though, Bray players must find it hard to give a rat's arse at this stage.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Going by the last investigation, every player who mis-kicked the ball could be in line for a year long ban.
    That's nonsense though. If you talk to Athlone supporters, or indeed supporters of other clubs who have seen some of their games this season, there was serious questions around the guys who were banned. Indeed those concerns have arisen at previous clubs also. The narrative that these guys were singled out because they made mistakes during a couple of goals suits the defense by the PFAI well- but remember that's the only side we have heard from. I had messages from an Athlone fan whose opinion I would trust in the last few days pointing all this out, and also that the tactical decisions around these games were very suspect too. To be honest.. I think there is a bit of omerta type stuff going on, some of the guys just don't want to admit this could happen in Irish football. Again, it may be that the prosecution of that case was under par.. but there is no fecking way it was motivated by a few lads making mis-kicks as has been portrayed.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    From what I'm hearing this investigation won't take long and the eejits involved aren't criminal masterminds

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    That's nonsense though. If you talk to Athlone supporters, or indeed supporters of other clubs who have seen some of their games this season, there was serious questions around the guys who were banned. Indeed those concerns have arisen at previous clubs also. The narrative that these guys were singled out because they made mistakes during a couple of goals suits the defense by the PFAI well- but remember that's the only side we have heard from. I had messages from an Athlone fan whose opinion I would trust in the last few days pointing all this out, and also that the tactical decisions around these games were very suspect too. To be honest.. I think there is a bit of omerta type stuff going on, some of the guys just don't want to admit this could happen in Irish football. Again, it may be that the prosecution of that case was under par.. but there is no fecking way it was motivated by a few lads making mis-kicks as has been portrayed.
    I wasn't being entirely serious when I said the above, but I can assure you, that the bolded part is the only issue I have with the way things have been carried out. We all know there's something dodgy behind Athlone this season, and maybe there is something dodgy behind Bray too, maybe.

But it's not enough to say "Ah sure, everyone knows what's going on" or "I guy I trust told me" when it comes to investigations from the governing body and punitive action. There has to be solid proof, not conjecture, hearsay and guesswork. Because if you're working off that kind of process, eventually, inevitably, someone is going to screwed over who doesn't deserve it.

And as has been discussed, there's a possibility that the manner the FAI has done things leaves the way open for CAS or higher courts to overturn this, regardless of whether the guys in question are guilty or not, which is a lousy outcome if it comes to pass.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    If the story I heard is true then these fellas need banning for life.. not just for match fixing but for been absolutely brainless idiots.

The story allegates that a pool of players funded a bet of a correct score 5-0 at odds of 150/1.

Using the online account of 1 player whose account and phone is now under investigation.

Hopefully that is just one of those rumours that loses control of itself because that is absolute stupidity. How in gods name would you expect to get away with something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    According to Owen Cowzer in the Sun, it's not just the friendly.

"Along with Friday’s friendly loss, the IRN-BRU Cup 2-0 defeat away to Elgin City, last month’s 2-1 league win over Drogheda United and the two home games against Finn Harps — a 5-3 win in March and a 3-2 defeat in July — were games brought up by cops."

Full story: https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-match-fixing/
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Anyone still letting on that they didn't know you could gamble on an underage match should leave the thread now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Innocent till proven guilty
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I think it's very clear that the FAI should relegate Bray and block Waterford's promotion, hence meaning only the bottom team goes down this year.
    Get up that garden you sheep fiddlin' headbanger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think its very clear that the FAI should relegate Bray block Waterford coming up and relegate Pats,
    If your going to ask Mr A.....ask for everything

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think its very clear that the FAI should relegate Bray block Waterford coming up and relegate Pats,
    If your going to ask Mr A.....ask for everything
    Shut Tallaght down and knock it down for social housing, thus forcing Rovers to relocate to Tolka and make them play in 33 Cup Finals next season whereby if they lose even one they get relegated. Stephen "Bradser" Bradley loves his cup finals so it should be no bother to him/ them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    itll be 36 cup finals next year for the rest of you boys.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Ah crap, if things hadn't been discovered so soon, maybe they'd have been doing another spot of fixing tonight. I'd take a win in any fashion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    The Garda say that the National Economic Crime Bureau are investigating allegations of match-fixing at Bray Wanderers.

The fraud squad confirmation came off the back of reports that 5 games are now being probed.

The FAI launched an investigation into the 5-0 friendly loss to Waterford last week.

Four other games are now being linked to the investigation. The IRN-BRU Cup 2-0 defeat away to Elgin City, last month’s 2-1 SSE Airtricity League win over Drogheda United and the two home games against Finn Harps — a 5-3 win in March and a 3-2 defeat in July.

http://www.offtheball.com/Garda-Nati...-Investigation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast