Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Moldova - Friday 6th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

  1. #21
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    426
    Thanked 591 Times in 377 Posts
    I think Christie was so poor in the second half against Serbia. I wish we had blooded the alternatives earlier (alternative, Doherty).

  2. #22
    First Team Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,498
    Thanks
    293
    Thanked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Horgan can hardly get a game for Preston at the moment, not doing enough to get a starting place in the Irish team
    The greatest trick that Trapattoni ever pulled was convincing the Irish players and fans that it was OK to accept that smaller teams can't compete with big ones

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #23
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    10,904
    Thanks
    3,150
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Horgan can hardly get a game for Preston at the moment, not doing enough to get a starting place in the Irish team
    It was unfortunate for Horgan that Grayson moved on to Sunderland from Preston only months after having signed him.

  5. #24
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 699 Times in 517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    except score an excellent equaliser against austria and almost followed it up a few mins later with a winner before his leg was clipped. its plain ridiculous to suggest walters should be dropped from the squad for keane and hogan.
    He should be in the squad but he should not be starting and playing 90 minutes anymore. He would be a useful option from the bench with the proviso that he plays up front. He does not have the engine to track back and support Long up front, and you can't blame that on his being unfit because Georgia got lots of joy down Coleman's flank in Dublin as well.

    I think Murphy made more of an impact in 30 minutes than Walters made in 90, and should have started with Long.

    What's all the more irritating is that if he was dropped then McClean and Brady wouldn't constantly be getting shuffled around to accommodate him.

  6. #25
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 699 Times in 517 Posts
    I would start Coleman and Brady as wing backs and ball playing Wilson in a back 3 with two of Clark/Duffy/Keogh either side.

    Meyler, Hendrick, Hoolahan/Kelly

    Murphy and Long up top.

    Randy with the gloves nailed on.

  7. #26
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    612
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 294 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I would start Coleman and Brady as wing backs and ball playing Wilson in a back 3 with two of Clark/Duffy/Keogh either side.

    Meyler, Hendrick, Hoolahan/Kelly

    Murphy and Long up top.

    Randy with the gloves nailed on.
    Ooh, I don't know about three centre-halves with wing-backs - we tried that in the last game I got to actually watch online, against Mexico, and their wingers tore us apart, with Keogh being particularly exposed by the pace of one of the Mexican wide players and Christie too far up the pitch to provide him protection.

  8. #27
    International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    8,936
    Thanks
    3,115
    Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,564 Posts
    I think we should take the chance on an almost entirely different starting XI for Moldova than we have in Cardiff. With Wales having a very tough game in Georgia just a couple of days earlier, we could give ourselves a significant advantage in terms of freshness.

    I don't think a wing-back formation should be dismissed because of that outing Sam, but I would be reluctant to experiment with it in the final games of this campaign.

  9. #28
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    470
    Thanked 699 Times in 517 Posts
    For sure I wouldn't experiment with it now but in the friendlies going forward.

  10. #29
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,003
    Thanks
    3,458
    Thanked 4,757 Times in 3,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    He should be in the squad but he should not be starting and playing 90 minutes anymore. He would be a useful option from the bench with the proviso that he plays up front. He does not have the engine to track back and support Long up front, and you can't blame that on his being unfit because Georgia got lots of joy down Coleman's flank in Dublin as well.

    I think Murphy made more of an impact in 30 minutes than Walters made in 90, and should have started with Long.

    What's all the more irritating is that if he was dropped then McClean and Brady wouldn't constantly be getting shuffled around to accommodate him.
    He was playing up front, most of the time anyway. He seemed to be up top for most of the match but had to track the wingers when they got forward. I think the system in general was a bit confused.

  11. #30
    First Team IsMiseSean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    @GalwayCalcio
    Posts
    1,492
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 213 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Ooh, I don't know about three centre-halves with wing-backs - we tried that in the last game I got to actually watch online, against Mexico, and their wingers tore us apart, with Keogh being particularly exposed by the pace of one of the Mexican wide players and Christie too far up the pitch to provide him protection.
    MON never really gave 3 at the back much chance of success. He basically played a 'B' team against Mexico and played some of the players out of position.
    The 3 midfielders that day were Horgan, Hourihane, O’Dowda.

  12. Thanks From:


  13. #31
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    16,502
    Thanks
    4,983
    Thanked 3,479 Times in 1,971 Posts
    It was as if he set the system up to fail.

  14. #32
    First Team IsMiseSean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    @GalwayCalcio
    Posts
    1,492
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 213 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It was as if he set the system up to fail.
    It was crazy starting Horgan & O'Dowda in a midfield three. Especially since Browne, Gleeson & O'Kane were all on the bench.
    Just another baffling team selection from MON.

  15. #33
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    10,904
    Thanks
    3,150
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,136 Posts
    The provisional squad for the Moldova and Wales games will be named next Tuesday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...9-jon-walters/

    Walters is an injury doubt as he has a knee problem and Burnley aren't sure when he'll return to action. Meanwhile, James McCarthy is hoping to return to training with Everton next week.

  16. #34
    First Team IsMiseSean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    @GalwayCalcio
    Posts
    1,492
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 213 Times in 144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The provisional squad for the Moldova and Wales games will be named next Tuesday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...9-jon-walters/
    How many will he name in the squad this time?
    I'll go 37.

  17. #35
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
    Does anyone kmow has the paperwork been completed in relation to scott Hogan?

  18. #36
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    10,904
    Thanks
    3,150
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Does anyone kmow has the paperwork been completed in relation to scott Hogan?
    Haven't heard anything, so possibly not yet. It's not a definite indication that there's been nothing in the media, but, often, an FAI source might be quoted somewhere in the media confirming a player's clearance once paperwork is completed.

  19. #37
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    10,904
    Thanks
    3,150
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,136 Posts
    'Martin O'Neill rallies the fans as injury headache worsens': https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...dache-worsens/

    Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    O'Neill names his squad for the final two games of the World Cup qualification campaign tomorrow with doubts over the availability of Harry Arter - who sat out Bournemouth's clash with Everton last weekend - and Wes Hoolahan, who is nursing a knock he picked up in Norwich's 0-0 draw against Bristol City.

    James McClean and Robbie Brady are both suspended and the versatile Jon Walters has missed Burnley's last two games with a recurring knee injury.

    On top of that, James McCarthy has yet to kick a ball this season with Everton as he also continues to recover from a knee problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24/09/2017, 10:15 AM
  2. Replies: 592
    Last Post: 29/05/2017, 11:28 AM
  3. Replies: 591
    Last Post: 29/05/2017, 11:27 AM
  4. Replies: 147
    Last Post: 23/11/2016, 12:54 PM
  5. Replies: 145
    Last Post: 20/10/2016, 6:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •