Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Leagues TV Money

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Leagues TV Money

It sad to see the money other leagues get form TV rights compaired to here where we get sweet f*** All ,how can we even compete and develop without it going forward ,
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...ble-tv-9612185

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    TV money won't come until the league is an attractive product that sponsors want to be featured around and associated with. I love the league but if I was a marketing exec, LOI is one of the last things I would spend my advertising budget on. Very little return and won't change with out proper investment by FAI/clubs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I think what might improve things is that if the Premier League in England went bust - or football generally in England just stopped. Then Irish people might start supporting their own clubs (although I wouldn't bet on it - they'd probably start following teams in Belgium or somewhere).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    If we had higher Prize money then the PFAI would be pushing so the current pool of players would be on higher wages & the league would not be any better off.

While the league needs a lot of investment we need to make sure that the money is spent in areas that will help the league grow in years to come ie a lot of grounds need to redeveloped etc. The league needs a lot more than just financial help. Personally I would love to see the government to get involved & ban live football on TV on Friday nights(just like English government do on Saturdays) but this would never happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    The only way clubs can make money now is through European football. We can look enviously at the tv money in other leagues, but the reality is that the TV companies here can take or leave the league.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Just wondering what would happen if i decided to live stream a LOI match say on Periscope? What warning was issued to SRTV?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Just wondering what would happen if i decided to live stream a LOI match say on Periscope? What warning was issued to SRTV?
    SRFCTV and the club were told that RTE had the right to all broadcasts even if they chose not to avail of it, and they had no right to do otherwise. They could still broadcast friendlies, theoretically, but paying for all the equipment and trouble for one or two games a year at best wouldn't be worth it. As far as I know, no effort was made by the FAI/RTE to have some sort of accommodation that helped all sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    Personally I would love to see the government to get involved & ban live football on TV on Friday nights(just like English government do on Saturdays) but this would never happen.
    I think the Friday night experiment has been dumped anyway.
    I'm not too bothered about live games on TV. I think because the production values are much lower it makes the league look bad compared to other leagues.
    Highlights should be more readily available I think. Having the show at 11:30 on Monday night shouldn't be acceptable to the FAI.
    One thing this has highlighted is that the facilities in a lot of stadia need to be upgraded. Drogheda shouldn't be allowed compete in United Park in its current state. If they were told they won't get into the Premier while playing there they'd be quick enough to sort it out.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Why would Drogheda spend money on United Park when they don't own it? It'd be a bit rich of the FAI to deny them a licence because they won't spend money they don't have on a FAI owned ground. Let the FAI do it up and pay them rent to cover the cost.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Thats easy to say JC when you are getting a decent ground made available to rent. 'Sorting it out' would likely be to put an end to the club in its current guise. On top of which, as Drogheda fans tell all who will listen, not granting a premier licence due to United Park would be the FAI denying themselves a licence as owners of the ground.

That aside I agree with what you are saying - people do tend to compare like with like in this country between our domestic league and any one of the top 4 or 5 European leagues, production value and general infrasrtructure on top does make for 'ugh' viewing. I dont think live games really add to the image of the domestic game that often, if there was financial benefit maybe. A highlights package could on the otherhand, with some thought, in a decent TV slot pique peoples interest. Print media have a greater role in placing the league on a particular level of value in the sporting mind than TV imo.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    If they were told they won't get into the Premier while playing there they'd be quick enough to sort it out.
    How would they?

I'd guess that Drogheda, like almost every other LOI club, haven't a spare penny to their name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Thats easy to say JC when you are getting a decent ground made available to rent. 'Sorting it out' would likely be to put an end to the club in its current guise. On top of which, as Drogheda fans tell all who will listen, not granting a premier licence due to United Park would be the FAI denying themselves a licence as owners of the ground.
    But at least to make an effort. This isn't necessarily a TV thing but how are they supposed to attract anyone to the games with the state of facilities at the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    How would they?

I'd guess that Drogheda, like almost every other LOI club, haven't a spare penny to their name.
    Were Killian Brennan and Sean Thornton playing for free??

I'm not talking about rebuilding the whole ground - even just doing up toilets would be a start.

Drogheda have had this pie in the sky dream of moving ground but nothing ever seems to have happened while United Park just gets worse and worse. There actually is supposed to be a minimum standard of ground anyway as part of licensing...
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    There actually is supposed to be a minimum standard of ground anyway as part of licensing...
    I'm sure the FAI are in regular contact with the owners of the ground to address any concerns.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI should be looking to buy and develop a ground for each population centre represented by a team. bit by bit, year by year this would vastly improve the image of the league. There is no reason we could not have 10 Turners Cross class stadiums in the country for relatively small investment.
    The answer above is simple and obvious.
    and the reason it is not happening is because the FAI have grossly mismanaged their finances with AVIVA and extravagant wages.
    As long as there is no accountability in the FAI, there will be no progress for our league.
    There is no use in any more reports or any more tweaks to the league. (10 teams next year is a pointless exercise for example)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    There is so little TV money for Iri8sh football, because there is so little media interest in televising it. And that in turn is symptomatic of there being so little public interest in the league. We can't bury our heads to those simple facts.

As an aside - even if there was more TV interest, Friday night at around 8pm is relatively prime time for a lot of TV channels. There's a good reason why European matches don't take place on a Friday night, and until recently English football matches didn't either. There's a lot of competition out there at those times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    It is worth noting that sports broadcasting isn't in a great place right now.More and more people are just streaming stuff for free and yet Sky keep paying more money,it could all go tits up at any second.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    It is worth noting that sports broadcasting isn't in a great place right now.More and more people are just streaming stuff for free and yet Sky keep paying more money,it could all go tits up at any second.
    I kinda hope it does for Sky and the Premier League. Might restore a bit of sanity.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

18. Thanks From: