Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another proposed takeover

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Correct but remembering how wrong I was then that's why I'm saying the club or any club should allow investment only in a completely correctly structured way.
    If the investor is prepared to meet the clubs requirements then why not?
    The key is to make sure the terms are transparent and the club maintains control.
    So, what you're suggesting is a donation and not a takeover?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Jeez lads how is it controversial to say any proposed investment should be given proper consideration given the dire straits most clubs are in and not dismissed because of previous bad experiences....
    And it doesn't have to be a donation, an investor can still get a return without having to control a club.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    So if the investor is sort of ring fenced and will basically provide players in return, with profits from their sales going to them.. isn't that a wee bit like third part ownership?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Share of club profits rather than player sales would be the way to go and would protect club. If the guys don't agree to a structure that the club are happy with then walk away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The investors will look for 100% of Players Sales they have no interest in the club as stated already .They want to use the first team as a vehicle for selling on their own Players.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Then I'd walk.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Share of club profits
    What are "club profits"?

Pretty much no team makes a profit, and not just in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    The investors will look for 100% of Players Sales they have no interest in the club as stated already .They want to use the first team as a vehicle for selling on their own Players.
    It's just another form of people trafficking in the shape of footballers 😁
    Wouldn't go extra near it.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    And if the youth team suddenly produced a player that went across the water for decent money, would they get a slice of that? Very hard to see how it could work TBH.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Jeez lads how is it controversial to say any proposed investment should be given proper consideration given the dire straits most clubs are in and not dismissed because of previous bad experiences....
    And it doesn't have to be a donation, an investor can still get a return without having to control a club.
    The problem is, there is no such thing as an 'investment' in Irish football in any true or benign sense of the word.

An investment means an input of money into something with an expectation of a return on it. In reality, if you put money into Irish football you should consider yourself lucky to even see that original capital sum repaid, let alone any return on top of it.

There is so little money in the game that people would only want to 'invest' for reasons not directly related to the business of running a football club - i.e. if it was a property play, to fix betting, to traffic players etc. So why would any club want to have people on-board who are by definition just using the football club for other financial purposes ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Waterford ? Or is it a given that there is a con of some description going on there ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    This is worrying. I can tell you for a fact that when one of the foreign players currently with Athlone was quizzed on why they were brought over here if it wasnt for match fixing, his reply was to play for a few months and get sold for big profit. Seems to be the same story being told to Galway. And we all know how the Athlone "investment" is turning out.
    The guys in Athlone are leaving bit by bit so maybe the top guys are looking for a different club to con.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    So if the investor is sort of ring fenced and will basically provide players in return, with profits from their sales going to them.. isn't that a wee bit like third part ownership?
    Certainly doesn't sound like it would pass the duck test!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Waterford ? Or is it a given that there is a con of some description going on there ?
    It remains to see what motivated the owner of Waterford to buy the club. But considering he already owns a club in England, and had shopped around for one there for a while beforehand,it is high likely that his purchase was done in relation to that i.e. farming players out etc.

Which do you think is Power's primary interest - Swindon Town or Waterford ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    At least in Galway we know that it is not a property play. I would have a lot of questions but I would not dismiss it out of hand, for the reason that after all the good things those involved with the club are doing, crowds coming to the games are low(even when we had a good run of results last year).
    Rather than the "selling players on for profit" strategy I would prefer someone coming in following the Fran Gavin temple of "quick route to the champions league group stages" plan. Here we must be talking serious money and Ollie Byrne we know fell short, so you must be talking double what he spend at least. Did Kelleher at Pats have this as his original aim?
    I am still a bit surprised that none of our tax exiles for example have not invested in a LoI clubs for this purpose, even for PR purposes.
    BTW I still think that members owned clubs with good community links is the way forward for the LoI, but it is so difficult due to the lack of tradition.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Waterford certainly is something to watch. Any idea what the subsidy is from Power this year as their crowds are decent(for LoI), but he will have to up his spending next season if promoted.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    At least in Galway we know that it is not a property play. I would have a lot of questions but I would not dismiss it out of hand, for the reason that after all the good things those involved with the club are doing, crowds coming to the games are low(even when we had a good run of results last year).
    Rather than the "selling players on for profit" strategy I would prefer someone coming in following the Fran Gavin temple of "quick route to the champions league group stages" plan. Here we must be talking serious money and Ollie Byrne we know fell short, so you must be talking double what he spend at least. Did Kelleher at Pats have this as his original aim?
    I am still a bit surprised that none of our tax exiles for example have not invested in a LoI clubs for this purpose, even for PR purposes.
    BTW I still think that members owned clubs with good community links is the way forward for the LoI, but it is so difficult due to the lack of tradition.
    The problem with that is there is neither glamour nor glory in owning an LOI club. It won't impress your wealthy friends, & would probably have the opposite effect. So unless you have a wealthy tax exile with a love of Irish club football, it's hard to see why anyone would be interested.

As an aside - Ireland is a unique case in that none of the clubs in its biggest and most popular sports can be purchased. You can't buy a GAA club or county, nor can you own a provincial rugby team. So LOI football is the only Irish sport of note where someone can actually buy and own a club. If we ever get domestic football more popular, that would seem to me to make it an obvious target for rich people looking to play around.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'd say his priority is definitely swindon but that doesn't mean it is bad for Waterford compared to the alternative. The point is the same for any investor in any club the structure is what counts and hopefully Waterford have got that part boxed off.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Lee Powers father is from Waterford and was involved with the club before he emigrated and this is what the appeal was for him. Power himself has played U21 for Ireland .
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast