Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 188

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2017/18

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Limerick Desmond League 2017/18

    Most teams back training this week, any news from around lads?

  2. #2
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Location
    athea
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    I heard that Killeaney are in trouble. Won't have a lot of players this coming season. Heard Keith Hartnett is gone from Rathkeale into Pike Rovers. Pa Ahern gone from Rathkeale to Regional and Mikey Lyons gone from Regional to Rathkeale. Heard Tony Quaid is gone from Newcastle West Afc to Newcastle Rovers.
    Dunno if any of them are true but just what I heard

  3. #3
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Off topic but just found this.
    Footage of NCW Rovers V Granagh Utd in the Division 3 League Cup Final 2002.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ve08jwoD0

    NCW v Creeves U12 Cup Final 2003
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGl0yQtzjQQ
    Last edited by Johnnie C; 16/07/2017 at 1:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    2 changes in management so I'm told, NCW Rovers Thomas St John is managing them, Ballingarry are being taken on by Gary Shanahan and Mike Aherne.
    Heard Killeaney are in big trouble as well, a few of their lads are dipping their toes in foreign pools during pre-season until they see how it shakes out at home(I think they will eventually all re-sign for killeaney)
    I'd imagine the stories regarding the Rathkeale lads are fairly accurate but I would be a little surprised if Keith actually signed for Pike but wouldn't be shocked either.
    Tony Quaid I don't think knows himself who he'll be playing for next season, don't rule out Rathkeale for him(don't quote me but I think he would be very receptive to advances). Rovers would be a great fit for him but he will have to really up his application and commitment from recent seasons wherever he goes, he's tight with NCW manager so he might convince him to stay too, but still I think it's more likely he leaves.
    NCW keeping Paul Downes though and signing Daragh McCarthy from Rovers.
    Carrig should get young Noel Callinan from Rovers, would be a great addition for them, great potential.
    Broadford signing Paul Fitzmaurice from St Ita's, was a great servant to St Ita's in fairness to him. Ita's also losing red hot striker Callum Donoghue he's going playing Munster Senior League for Everton.
    One to watch out for but ye won't hear anything about it for another month I'd say is that Michael Brosnan has a decision to make when he gets home from Chicago, Broadford or Regional Utd, You'd have to think that without Ray Lynchs goals they will take a little step back from where they've been as a serious contender which will have to affect his thinking if he wants to stay in the international picture, Albeit Regional are not a serious contender in town they are playing against better competition which would stand to him.
    That's all I've got so far.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #5
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    2 changes in management so I'm told, NCW Rovers Thomas St John is managing them, Ballingarry are being taken on by Gary Shanahan and Mike Aherne.
    Heard Killeaney are in big trouble as well, a few of their lads are dipping their toes in foreign pools during pre-season until they see how it shakes out at home(I think they will eventually all re-sign for killeaney)
    I'd imagine the stories regarding the Rathkeale lads are fairly accurate but I would be a little surprised if Keith actually signed for Pike but wouldn't be shocked either.
    Tony Quaid I don't think knows himself who he'll be playing for next season, don't rule out Rathkeale for him(don't quote me but I think he would be very receptive to advances). Rovers would be a great fit for him but he will have to really up his application and commitment from recent seasons wherever he goes, he's tight with NCW manager so he might convince him to stay too, but still I think it's more likely he leaves.
    NCW keeping Paul Downes though and signing Daragh McCarthy from Rovers.
    Carrig should get young Noel Callinan from Rovers, would be a great addition for them, great potential.
    Broadford signing Paul Fitzmaurice from St Ita's, was a great servant to St Ita's in fairness to him. Ita's also losing red hot striker Callum Donoghue he's going playing Munster Senior League for Everton.
    One to watch out for but ye won't hear anything about it for another month I'd say is that Michael Brosnan has a decision to make when he gets home from Chicago, Broadford or Regional Utd, You'd have to think that without Ray Lynchs goals they will take a little step back from where they've been as a serious contender which will have to affect his thinking if he wants to stay in the international picture, Albeit Regional are not a serious contender in town they are playing against better competition which would stand to him.
    That's all I've got so far.
    I heard that Hartnett is only training inside until Rathkeale start back up. Rathkeale should be strong though with Lyons and Colin Enright both joining them. They will lose D Lyons, Ahern and Tomas Quilligan. Keeping Sean O'Shea and Enright who were outstanding last year a big plus for them
    Abbeyfeale the big losers with all 3 Smiths leaving and the likes of Joe Kelliher another year older. They won't be struggling but won't dominate either. They still have a good chance of silverware though. A lot will depend on Mike Sheehan's commitment though
    Micheal Brosnan definitely staying with Broadford, Paul Madigan and Johnny Carey returning. The real big additions there could be having O'Brien and King from the start.
    Lynch definitely going though
    I'd agree with Cruyff re Tony Quaid, I doubt he knows himself what he is at, Afc have always been loyal to him though, he would do well not to forget that. I didn't hear much about the lower divisions. I would doubt that there were any red hot strikers down there though, those boys don't do div 2

  7. #6
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Location
    athea
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Why will they lose Quilligan , d Lyons and ahern?

  8. #7
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    Why will they lose Quilligan , d Lyons and ahern?
    All training in Limerick as far as I know. I'm open for correction though

  9. #8
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Location
    athea
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Why are the 3 gone from abbeyfeale?
    Daragh McCarty leaving rovers to join afc is a strange one. Are the killeaney boys playing with other teams??

  10. #9
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    Why are the 3 gone from abbeyfeale?
    Daragh McCarty leaving rovers to join afc is a strange one. Are the killeaney boys playing with other teams??
    P Smith has packed it in or else is playing in Kerry I think, C Smith to Janesboro and T Smith abroad

  11. #10
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Location
    athea
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Good move for Chris Smith. A fine player

  12. #11
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Location
    limerick
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Lads it's early days yet and most players are only testing waters wit other clubs. 8 or 10 years ago I would say Ya a player would be right to make move in to city but I go to a lot of premier game in city and over last few seasons the standard is gone back, I don't kno reason for it as facilities are better and most coaches have training badges,and also I'm not one of these older fellows da say it bcos I'm not playing at top level. The facts are there at national level wit fai and junior caps etc.the Desmond league on other hand has improved with top 3 ratkeale brdf and Abbey would all do well in limk premier. I agree with Chris Smith being good player but they is as good if not better also in Desmond lge, o Shea an Keefe and McAuliffe.is he moving after his summer tournament which I don't think he would have managed with out his team mates, other rumour is his family fell out wit club which may be true as I think he wud stay other than that. Are all clubs back pre season?? Any friendlies comin up?

  13. #12
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southern kid View Post
    Lads it's early days yet and most players are only testing waters wit other clubs. 8 or 10 years ago I would say Ya a player would be right to make move in to city but I go to a lot of premier game in city and over last few seasons the standard is gone back, I don't kno reason for it as facilities are better and most coaches have training badges,and also I'm not one of these older fellows da say it bcos I'm not playing at top level. The facts are there at national level wit fai and junior caps etc.the Desmond league on other hand has improved with top 3 ratkeale brdf and Abbey would all do well in limk premier. I agree with Chris Smith being good player but they is as good if not better also in Desmond lge, o Shea an Keefe and McAuliffe.is he moving after his summer tournament which I don't think he would have managed with out his team mates, other rumour is his family fell out wit club which may be true as I think he wud stay other than that. Are all clubs back pre season?? Any friendlies comin up?
    Well said

  14. #13
    Youth Team
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Heard Aaron Smith was going to Rathkeale.

  15. #14
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Heard Aaron Smith was going to Rathkeale.
    Who is he?

  16. #15
    Youth Team
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza29 View Post
    Who is he?
    18 or 19 year old striker. Played for Ballingarry Juniors last season but won the Youths treble with Rathkeale in 15/16 (think he has played most of his soccer with Ballingarry). Was on the Oscar Traynor squad last season.

  17. #16
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Anyone know the story with ballingarry supposed to have 4 or 5 out from the city if rumours are to be believed

  18. #17
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Location
    athea
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Any friendly matches coming up?

  19. #18
    Youth Team sexyfootball's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    If the Desmond League was reported on by Sky Sports News

    BREAKING - Tony Quaid linked with every team in Limerick & Desmond Leagues #SSNDLHQ
    BREAKING - Ray Lynch to play with Broadford, Charleville, Regional, Janesboro in the coming season #SSNDLHQ
    BREAKING - Keith Hartnett to play for Rathkeale this season... but he might also play for Pike... although could also play for Fairview #SSNDLHQ

    CONFIRMED - Newcastle West Rovers & Newcastle West AFC agree terms to merger & will be sponsored by Best of Friends Insurances Ltd.

    AWARD - PJ Kinsella to be granted the freedom of all Desmond League grounds due to his lifetime contribution to West Limerick soccer.

    LIVE - Frank Nelligan reporting from Riverside Park *Shane Stack seen entering clubhouse with hood up & head down* looks like a deal/ medical could be only hours from being completed.
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YA BEAUTY! What a hit son... what a hit!

  20. #19
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    ballingarry had 2 last week v ballynanty and carew, lost 2-0 to carew i heard

  21. #20
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyfootball View Post
    If the Desmond League was reported on by Sky Sports News

    BREAKING - Tony Quaid linked with every team in Limerick & Desmond Leagues #SSNDLHQ
    BREAKING - Ray Lynch to play with Broadford, Charleville, Regional, Janesboro in the coming season #SSNDLHQ
    BREAKING - Keith Hartnett to play for Rathkeale this season... but he might also play for Pike... although could also play for Fairview #SSNDLHQ

    CONFIRMED - Newcastle West Rovers & Newcastle West AFC agree terms to merger & will be sponsored by Best of Friends Insurances Ltd.

    AWARD - PJ Kinsella to be granted the freedom of all Desmond League grounds due to his lifetime contribution to West Limerick soccer.

    LIVE - Frank Nelligan reporting from Riverside Park *Shane Stack seen entering clubhouse with hood up & head down* looks like a deal/ medical could be only hours from being completed.
    Those last 2 though....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Limerick Desmond League 2011/12
    By limkdesmond in forum Junior League
    Replies: 1141
    Last Post: 03/06/2012, 10:48 AM
  2. Limerick Desmond League.
    By FiveB in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29/04/2011, 1:01 PM
  3. Limerick Desmond League.
    By FiveB in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01/11/2010, 11:08 PM
  4. Limerick Desmond Football League
    By A face in forum Junior League
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20/11/2008, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •