Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Bray statement

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    From experience, there is nothing worse for a club and its fans than when clowns get their hands on the controls.
    I've dealt with some really, really sound lads at Bray over the years and they have all my sympathy at the moment.
    No club deserves this.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I'm trying to explain this saga to friends abroad, is there a succinct-ish summary anywhere that goes over the whole thing?
    The oowners want the land for hotels/apartments. Everything else is just window dressing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    If Harry Kenny can get the players up for their match against Finn Harps he should get the Ireland Job

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    The oowners want the land for hotels/apartments. Everything else is just window dressing.
    Nailed it!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I am not making this up. I swear it. This is real.

In 1916 some brave Irish Men and Women stood up for the cause of Irish Freedom as they were tired of the oppression being suffered by the Irish People at the hands of the British army. They stood up for what they believed in and ,in doing so, they were initially ridiculed, taunted and laughed at by the very people for whom they were giving their lives to protect.

Yesterday we issued a statement that has drawn publicity from the Irish, United Kingdom, European, American and Asian Media. No football Club in Ireland has ever had so much publicity.

We have been laughed at for working tirelessly and giving hard earned money towards a cause that we believe to be far greater than just our Club Bray Wanderers. Our project is about Wicklow Sport and Soccer.

Rightly so we referred to previous social commentary comparing Wicklow to North Korea as regards business where it is an impossible place to do business or succeed. Anyone who tries to succeed is shot down. The garden of Ireland has a terrible record of generating real business against it's potential. Only last week Johnny Ronan was shot down for trying to build a hotel. People are afraid to spend their money on a planning application in Wicklow for anything as it's feared it's a waste of money. If Johnny Ronan can't get planning, who else will bother spending the millions to get a failed outcome from the Council. Businesses refuse to look at Wicklow for investment as they know how difficult a place it is to operate. The negativity emanating from Council decisions has created is, without doubt, the worst in Ireland. North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un, with the best propaganda machine, couldn't undo the sheer negative connotation associated with Wicklow for business.

When talking about business take Bray. It's a commuter town with little or no core businesses to drive the economy independently, Greystones is similar but progressing more and as you get further down the county it gets worse until you get to Arklow. Talk about neglecting a town. Then you cross the border into Wexford and Gorey is booming, new homes being built, thriving shopping streets and economy. And it continues like that the whole way through Wexford.

What TD or Councillors have made a significant impact on Wicklow like the late Jackie Healy Rae did for Kerry, which allows them to say they made a significant difference. Dick Roche, when Minister for the Environment, let the money to build the final stretch of the N.11 be allocated to Waterford instead of his own constituency. What have our TDs done for Wicklow which allows them go to bed at night or face their constituents and say" yes I did that, that is my achievement and I am proud of it". The people of Wicklow would rather have 5 Jackie Healy Raes who will sell the Wicklow votes to the highest bidding party so long as they get their fair share of the Government spoils for Wicklow once and for all. That includes a sewage treatment plant in Arklow, a proper allocation of investment In tourism generation in Wicklow, a proper guarantee that some of the IDA jobs will go to Wicklow(as Enda Kenny took to Mayo) ,the extension of the Dart line to Wicklow Town,The Luas to Bray, extra Garda services to combat crime, investment in all the schools in Wicklow and real money to deal with the housing crisis in Wicklow. Finally some real investment in Wicklow sport. There is so much more neglect in Wicklow that needs addressing.

The people in Wicklow are tired of being neglected and if they had 5 Jackie Healy Raes who would finally get them some real results, I think the current establishment would realise their cushy numbers would not be so cushy.

Going forward we are going to invite the current members & technical staff of Wicklow County Council with elected representatives over the next few months to visit with us a Training Academy in the UK -specifically a trip to St George's in England to understand how they have now turned a corner in producing good players again. We saw this year that iniative bearing fruit in their underage teams winning top tournaments. With that knowledge we are going to design the best in class facilities. An amateur sport as in the GAA developed Croke Park to be one of the best Stadiums in the World - why can't Wicklow have the ambition to develop a world class academy? Although St George's cost £105m for the UK national team that is for the whole of the English setup. We are not claiming to spend that much but our ambition will be to have a substantial spend relative to the size of Bray and Wicklow's demands.

Because we have been reading cynical commentary should we just stop? Should the martyrs of 1916 have laid down their arms in first few hours of the revolution when they were being laughed at, just gave up and left Ireland under the control of the British?

We are being accused of being money grabbers. If anyone cared to read our statement we have been clear. We are going to hand the facility over to a Trust in favour of the people of Wicklow for the development of Football and other sports.

Some Council members have immediately shot down our proposals and would rather leave Wicklow sport in the same way they have left Arklow with no sewage treatment plant. In summer the smell and sight from the river is disgusting. That is what Council want Wicklow football to resemble -the excrement and disgusting state of the river in Arklow. That is an environment which the people of Arklow have campaigned for decades to see solved.

We do not have accept it anymore. We will develop this facility and put in place a long term plan to deal with the long term financial future for the development of the club, collective Wicklow teams and maybe wider afield in Ireland.

We have taken a very unorthodox approach to bring this forward, but are we now the most talked about topic in Irish Football. Have we not achieved publicity never felt by an Irish League of Ireland team before? There are doubters to our plans but, rest assured, we are going to give the Club over to the Trust to be owned by the people of Wicklow as part of the construction of the new facilities. We would ideally do that now and not have this grief we are enduring, keeping our hard earned money, but if we did it now the club would fold financially within days and there would be no club and no potential centre of excellence.

Imagine if people just supported what we are doing, helped get this academy built as a centre of excellence modelled on St George's, imagine how good they will feel, imagine rather than having a negative outlook, they had a positive outlook, imagine if they weighed in with us, get this goal achieved, imagine how proud and good you would feel. Imagine being a politician in Wicklow and saying, "yes we did that, we created something great, something unique".

Bray Wanderers FC
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

6. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I'm not sure I believe me either, but it's out there on the web and was issued from Bray Wanderers.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I'm not sure I believe me either, but it's out there on the web and was issued from Bray Wanderers.
    I can't find it - where did you get it?

Not that I'm doubting you, just want to see how they handled it.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Bit in the Indo about it anyway - I presume it was a mail shot?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    I think somebody in a blazer might be well advised to look up the rule book for the bit about bringing the game into disrepute.

{Edit}

I'm sure they'd threaten it quick enough if someone from a club asked a question at the AGM or criticised Delaney.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 28/07/2017 at 2:06 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Severe touch of the Walter Mittys and Tom Coughlans about this lunatic. He was ran out of Pats before as well when he tried the same rubbish he's doing now at Bray to build on the land. I honestly don't know what way is worse, this public lunacy or the likes of the O'Connors/ the Athlone crowd hanging in the background secretly pulling the strings.

The dog in the street knew well going back to when O'Connor screwed McGettigans to hop in bed with this chancer what would happen here. This has Bray Wanderers FOWAS Co-Op written all over it.

Meanwhile Fran Gavin next week:

"I have met the new chairman and the O'Connors at Bray and they are quite ambitious. We’ve never experienced this kind of lunacy at a club where they’re bringing TD's, 1916, North Korea and so on into it. You wonder about their motivation, so that’s something we’ve to look at very carefully.Bray will have a nice stadium and better facilities than Man Utd, Barca and Real Madrid, sure the lads told me so so it'll be grand like. We would like to see the project being a success but we need to wait and see. It is important to make sure the deeds of the land the council own are going in the right direction at no cost to the lads in Bray there so they can build those flats and make a few bob. Bray can move into Harolds Cross or Morton stadium for a few years, be grand.”

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Brays next statement will have to include a bit about Donald Trump...HOW has he managed to avoid a mention so far.
    I know I said the guy writing this must be drunk but it turns out its a two day bender..at least

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    "No Irish club has ever had so much publicity"

I reckon Athlone have had more publicity this season alone and I don't think they're thankful for it.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Bray match preview on extratime is good

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/194...v--finn-harps/

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Crazy stuff.
    The first paragraph about 1916 was enough to put me off...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Just goes to show not all publicity is good, despite protestation to the opposite!! It begs the question, is this a strategy to actually get the FAI to sanction them giving them an 'out' of sorts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    ive just put a few more pound on harps tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    these guys get most things right, the players that have enquiries about them must be tearing their hair out

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The level of delusion in that missive is amazing. I said it before, but it bears repeating: a drunken election manifesto. It reads like the scrap of paper the no-hoper independent shoves in your door.

I mean, they're acting like they own everything entirely, and the Council is just withholding a rubber stamp. What do they think is going to happen? The next locals aren't until 2019.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    For all their madness in the statement and it is madness, there are some valid points about Wicklow County Council. They are an absolute nightmare to deal with. I went through the planning permission process with them, you'd swear we were looking for permission to take their first born. I could be mistaken on the details but when submissions for the NDP were requested by local CCs, they didn't bother submitting anything regarding the need to upgrade the N11. They really don't have any strategic plan for the County at all.

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast