Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Bray statement

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    If every person in the country who supports a foreign team followed their closest LOI side then we'd have a pretty well supported league
    While that's true, it's no use thinking hypothetically about what our league could be if people moved en-masse from the EPL to watch LOI. It's just never gonna happen. A few will move over here and there, but there will never be a mass migration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    To be honest even when we were in abbeycartron our crowds were the same. Longford has never been a town for league of Ireland soccer and will never will be.
    Abbeycartron had a certain charm, you could tickle the armpits of a player making a throw with one hand and milk a cow in the field behind with the other.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    While that's true, it's no use thinking hypothetically about what our league could be if people moved en-masse from the EPL to watch LOI. It's just never gonna happen. A few will move over here and there, but there will never be a mass migration.
    My point was in reply to Longfordian who suggested that even if the whole county supported Longford they would not be viable. Which isn't true, they'd be very well supported then. I don't for a second think it is going to happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If Bray did get a stadium like Tallaght stadium out of this deal it would be great but wud have a reverse affect on the club in my opinion. The location of the Carlisle Grounds is key and it needs to be upgraded which i feel can be achievable. Moving the club to "west of the n11" would kill attendances. Yes new supporters will emerge from the area of stepaside and kilternan but not everyone drives and with the location a distance away from the town it wouldn't be ideal. Bray could only get 500 down for a match against finn harps so what would be the point of a 5,000 or 10,000 seater stadium?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    If Bray did get a stadium like Tallaght stadium out of this deal it would be great but wud have a reverse affect on the club in my opinion. The location of the Carlisle Grounds is key and it needs to be upgraded which i feel can be achievable. Moving the club to "west of the n11" would kill attendances. Yes new supporters will emerge from the area of stepaside and kilternan but not everyone drives and with the location a distance away from the town it wouldn't be ideal. Bray could only get 500 down for a match against finn harps so what would be the point of a 5,000 or 10,000 seater stadium?
    Wicklow Wanderers!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    My point was in reply to Longfordian who suggested that even if the whole county supported Longford they would not be viable. Which isn't true, they'd be very well supported then. I don't for a second think it is going to happen
    Research shows that approximately 3% of an area's population will attend matches of a local professional team. Longford county has a population of 41k, so 3% of that would be 1224 people. An average attendance of 1224 still probably wouldn't even be enough to run a professional LOI team, without the help of a financial investor.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Carrick on Shannon is more Sligo rovers friendly considering I worked there for years and even though Longford is closer to carrick than Sligo its the Connacht influence that works for them!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And that's a valid point. Though an out-of-town ground that is regularly visited for reasons other than Bray Wanderers matches could generate far more community focus than the Carlisle. (And I think that would separate it from Wexford or Longford's grounds)

Again, all in theory. All I'm saying is that "The ground is central, therefore it's the best-located in the league" is far too simplistic.

Would this be what you're thinking of? Going back to 2002; just found it by googling.

I've a vague notion John Deering was also looking to redevelop the grounds a few years back as well; I think he mentioned it in some interview around the time he went into the CRO and illegally appointed himself director. But as you say, the stories can kind of merge into one after a while.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/...-31410191.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...rers-1.2274490

I have checked on John Deering from two years ago.
    It seems that perhaps he had good reason to remove O'Connor and clan from the Board.
    As it was Bray Wanderers that brought the High Court injunction, why did they not pursue John Deering.
    Of course the first thing the Judge would have seen in the evidence is that this character O'Conner has history of telling lies to High Court tribunals.
    It seems the judge said nothing to John Deering.

Then you have the second article where John Deering had made a counter offer, higher than Milway Dawn.
    So the question that needs asking, are Milway Dawn legal owners.
    I remember an interview at the time that John Deering wanted to keep Bray in the Carlisle and develop the stadium.
    No wonder he came to blows with O'Connor.
    I recall John Deering did mention a Supporters Trust to take over and run the club, which he offered to back.

So 2 years ago it was pretty clear, O'Connor wanted out of the Carlisle, and in with apartments.
    As he was the choice and proxy of Philip Hannigan, then the obvious question that now needs clarity, is Philp Hannigan behind the O'Connor/Mulvey team.

There is only one way to kill this, once and for all: WCC needs to vote to maintain the lease as it currently stands.

To all members of WICKLOW CC, do you support 400 apartments at the Carlisle, or for Bray Wanderers to stay in an enhanced stadium. The choice is yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    The council will take the third option....do nothing

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Bray did pursue Deering though? Your link confirms it. Rightly too; what he did was quite, quite illegal. It doesn't matter if he had good reason; you don't misrepresent yourself on legal documents like that. Deering seems like a bit of a nuttet.

Found this thread in the Bray forum from four years ago too - http://foot.ie/threads/171653-Where-...Bray-Wanderers

Seems sadly similar to this one. Undercurrents of property plays, internal strife, calls for a Supporters' Trust and offers of help from Mr A. Four years on and little has changed it seems, other than the cast.

Seems like Bray as a club have a few good men but more than their share of nutters, and a lot of talkers but no doers.

Obviously a shame to see any club like this.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    FAI statement:

Statement on Bray Wanderers FC

Bray Wanderers FC has provided the Football Association of Ireland with documentation which demonstrates that the club has secured sufficient funds for the remainder of the 2017 SSE Airtricity League season.

The FAI has been in ongoing communications with the club regarding its funding issues and would like to acknowledge the club's cooperation throughout the process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was the documentation in a suspiciously thick brown envelope?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Carrick on Shannon is more Sligo rovers friendly considering I worked there for years and even though Longford is closer to carrick than Sligo its the Connacht influence that works for them!
    Plus Sligo rovers go around and put posters up in businesses in carrick.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    People in Carrick have always looked more towards Sligo than Longford. Sligo is much bigger, is in the same province, and on the same train line as well.

Plus Sligo Rovers have been in the league a lot longer than Longford.

17. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It seems like forever since Bray did something mental. It's all gone quiet. Maybe even too quiet.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    They are asking City fans to buy tickets online in advance, which makes me wonder whats going on. They have never done that before. It could just be that they expect a large crowd and aren't really equipped to sell tickets quickly (as we found out on our last trip) or it could be something more sinister.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    They are asking City fans to buy tickets online in advance, which makes me wonder whats going on. They have never done that before. It could just be that they expect a large crowd and aren't really equipped to sell tickets quickly (as we found out on our last trip) or it could be something more sinister.
    They do that for EVERY game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinwanderer View Post
    They do that for EVERY game!
    Really? They didn't target us specifically last time around, or maybe our club wasn't retweeting it. If it were any other club I'd pay no notice to it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    People in Carrick have always looked more towards Sligo than Longford. Sligo is much bigger, is in the same province, and on the same train line as well.
    Longford don't seem to give a toss about promotion. The people calling the shots, not the fans. It's a bit sad to see a provincial club that has won a couple of trophies in the not too distant past and had a few European cameos, in a county that's unlikely to challenge in other spectator sports, with such (apparently self-inflicted) apathy towards it.

24. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Wouldn't disagree tbh, assuming you mean promotion in a marketing sense as opposed to playing as the latter has been a priority. It's been a while since I've had any insight as to how the club is run, I don't live in Longford and I don't get down to games often enough. When I was closer to it I saw what those involved had to do and had to give up, which I'll be honest makes it hard for me to slate those currently involved without the knowledge of what's happening. I will say that there are a lot of things that from the outside wouldn't require much investment that aren't being done such as posters, media etc.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast