Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 down ! Your opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Brilliant win for Galway up at Harps on Friday.
    I felt Harps were pretty poor defensively but they've still been able to spring a surprise result here and there and probably will do again.
    Limerick need to find some form and fast. As well as losing they're actually getting badly beaten and all of sudden our GD is better than theirs which could prove crucial.
    Sligo are now the side who can't win games... Two ok draws in their last 2 games but they've ended up losing ground on everyone apart from Drogheda and Limerick.
    As for ourselves in the last 4 games we've beaten Limerick, Drogheda and Harps and given Cork a fright. Now we've games against mid/top half teams coming up... Rovers-Bohs-Derry... If we can carry our form and get 4-points or more from those games it should set us up well for the run-in.

2. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    If we loose away to harps on Friday we are going down & if Sligo loose at home to Pats on Saturday they are going down too. If we & Sligo win then we are both back in the pack & have fighting chance of staying up.
    I know this is a petty point to be making, but the word is LOSE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Brilliant win for Galway up at Harps on Friday.
    I felt Harps were pretty poor defensively but they've still been able to spring a surprise result here and there and probably will do again.
    Limerick need to find some form and fast. As well as losing they're actually getting badly beaten and all of sudden our GD is better than theirs which could prove crucial.
    Sligo are now the side who can't win games... Two ok draws in their last 2 games but they've ended up losing ground on everyone apart from Drogheda and Limerick.
    As for ourselves in the last 4 games we've beaten Limerick, Drogheda and Harps and given Cork a fright. Now we've games against mid/top half teams coming up... Rovers-Bohs-Derry... If we can carry our form and get 4-points or more from those games it should set us up well for the run-in.
    Harps were awful defensively on Friday, but partly due to some strange decision by Ollie to play four players out of position. Centre half at right back, right back in centre mid, left back at centre half and centre mid at left back. Crazy really. Total lack of balance. As I said already, easily our worst performance of the season.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    It was a great win for Galway alright.
    Though can't really understand why Galway let one of their best players go, similarly Limerick let go their most experienced defender.?
    I think Galway will get 3 points from their next 3 games and will be back in trouble.Limerick are in free fall. Those 2 and Drogs for the drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Still think 3 down is crazy. Would like Galway and Sligo to both stay up as I think they have something to offer the top Division. Limerick too, if it comes to it. However, it's every man for himself in the bottom 6.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just hope Pats go down. Deserve to after voting for 3 to be relegated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Though can't really understand why Galway let one of their best players go
    Not ideal for sure. What's being said is it was for the long-term future of the club. Unfortunately that's the reality of our finances, he'd have left for free at the end of the season. Apparently he got a 2 1/2 year deal so I'm sure he was keen to make the move too.
    In saying that we only have 1 clean sheet all season so it's not as if he was keeping things together for us. Our problems this season have been at the other end of the pitch. Since being pushed further forward Gavan Holohan has 5 goals in 3 games with others weighing in too.
    I fancy our chances of staying up but it's going to go right down to the wire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Though can't really understand why Galway let one of their best players go
    What would you do if you were United - offered money to cover a third of your debt for a player who could leave for nothing in 3 months?
    What you you do if you were Grace - offered a 52- week contract for 30 months that doubles your wages plus accommodation, as opposed to a 36- week contract that leaves you without a job at the end of October?
    No brainer from both perspectives this side of the Shannon. Plus, as JC says, Grace was a mainstay in a defence that kept 1 clean sheet all season. Letting Grace go won't define our season, putting the ball in the net will.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    What would you do if you were United - offered money to cover a third of your debt for a player who could leave for nothing in 3 months?
    What you you do if you were Grace - offered a 52- week contract for 30 months that doubles your wages plus accommodation, as opposed to a 36- week contract that leaves you without a job at the end of October?
    No brainer from both perspectives this side of the Shannon. Plus, as JC says, Grace was a mainstay in a defence that kept 1 clean sheet all season. Letting Grace go won't define our season, putting the ball in the net will.
    Just asking!.
    Rovers bought LG for a third of your debt?
    Must be a record LOI fee depending how your debt is calculated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Must be a record LOI fee depending how your debt is calculated?
    Have no idea of the ins and outs of our debt but things seem a good bit better than the Leeson days of '09/'10. Even if he went for 30 K (arbitrary figure), that's still a fair amount of debt that we had accrued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    You let a key player go when you are in the middle of a relegation battle with no time to bring in replacements. You may have paid off some debts for now, but what about the ones you accrue when relegated? If you stay up then fair play it will have worked out, but teams worry too much about getting a fee. You have to factor in the value of keeping the player and winning games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    We had him for 24 games and still found ourselves in the bottom 3 - people getting their knickers in a twist 'just because'. No point in keeping the player in the hope of staying up, and then becoming unsustainable/untenable. Better to address the debt and put your faith in the other 21 lads in the squad while also ensuring you'll have a club to support again next season

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Those are fair points to make, but as good as he was in defence, out struggle with goals until recently has been our biggest weakness but Holohan is on fire at the moment, and Murray got a brace also the other evening. For sure it's a risk selling LG but if he was gonna go on a free anyway, it seems as if it was a tough decision to make but one that had to be taken (if it works out,as you say).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Still think 3 down is crazy. Would like Galway and Sligo to both stay up as I think they have something to offer the top Division. Limerick too, if it comes to it. However, it's every man for himself in the bottom 6.
    It's hard to decide who I'd like to stay up. For purposes of geography, I'd go for Harps, Sligo and Galway. But that would mean losing Pats, leaving only two Dublin clubs. It might sound strange to ask, but is that too little?

At this stage, Drogheda look to be gone, can't see them leaving bottom spot at this point. That leaves four points between 7th and 11th spot. Mad. Harps's game in hand is against Cork, so we can probably discount that. Limerick's is at home to Shamrock Rovers, difficult.
    It's utterly fascinating to watch, but if I'd to put a bet on, I'd go Drogheda, Sligo and Limerick to drop down.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Sligo
    Harps
    Drogs

Ever the pessimist but our defence is shambolic at times and will probably be our downfall, reckon pat's and limerick have enough quality to stay out of it and think it will be tight between Galway and Sligo to avoid the last relegation place

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB11 View Post
    Limerick have enough quality to stay out of it
    The grass is always greener where the dogs are sh*tting syndrome there. Whatever bit of quality still adorns our eleven presently is looking at those making up the numbers around them with frustration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Complete lottery now who stays up and who goes down after tonight.
    Pats back in it, Limerick in it, Harps, Sligo, Drogs and Galway all potentially going down.

Drogs definitely gone, after that it's anyones guess.

From Harps point of view, the Sligo game in a fortnights time is massive, win that and I think we're staying up. Lose and we have Rovers, Dundalk and Derry coming after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Our next 2 games are away to Harps and Galway. If we only get 1 point from them we're gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Same as our whole season on Friday, played very well in one half and left 2 points behind us. Still a draw not the worst result until we find out Harps have won.
    On paper we have the easiest run-in but need to start winning games.
    We have home games against Derry, Sligo, Pat's and Dundalk (last day of season) and away trips to Bray and Limerick.

I think we'll need 10 points to survive, that would bring us to 36 and with our GD we'll finish above anyone else who is level on points with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I think it's only a matter of time before Drogheda are mathematically relegated.

The other 2 are a bit more up in the air but with 6 games left you'd almost be inclined to say Galway are going to find it near impossible to stay up. 10 points from the last 6 is a big ask, although 4 of those games are at home. If they don't beat Sligo I fully expect them to be relegated.

Sligo will be looking at their next 2 games as cup finals. They really can't afford to lose either.

Harps next game is huge, Sligo at home. Win that and we're 5 points clear with 5 games left. If we don't win that, it's hard to see where the points will come from in the next 3 games (Rovers away, Dundalk home and Derry away).

Pats will be smarting from the Dundalk spanking. After they hammered up in Inchicore I fully expected them to move comfortably to safety. They have a tough run in with Rovers, Bohs, Cork and Derry. The Limerick and Galway games will be massive and they'll be looking at getting something from the likes of Bohs.

Limerick are in free fall. Looked like world beaters first half against Harps, conceded against the run of play and missed pen. After that I never felt like Harps were in danger. Limerick fans must be worried about the teams mentality after that.

Can't call it yet but if Harps were to beat Sligo, I'd say the bottom 3 as it stands will go down. Sligo beat Harps and I'd fear for our safety. I think it's that big of a match.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast