Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Irn Bru Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    That sounds logical, but isn't.

1) Celtic are a Scottish football club. You can't wish them away.

2) If we pretended they didn't exist then we'd be counting one less Scottish club in the rankings, which wouldn't be a level playing field.

3) If they didn't exist, another Scottish club would take their place in Europe. And in their absence, the league would probably be more balanced - and so other Scottish clubs would be in better shape.

4) If you took out the highest ranking LOI club from our UEFA ranking, our standing would reduce as well.

5) You can't credibly expect other countries to start tinkering with their own UEFA rankings and making excuses for us in an attempt to yardstick how the LOI compares to themselves.
    My point is that there is no gap between the top 5 or so Irish teams and everyone not named Celtic in the SPL. Maybe Rnagers will get back to that level in the next few years. Asking our teams to play St Johnstones U20s in a competitive fixture is insulting.

If Bray etc were invited into a competition against the SPL teams - even those outside of Europe that would be reasonable.

And if you took Celtic out of Scottish football (and Rangers if they get their act together) there would be much less money in Scottish football and they wouldn't have the stadia etc that they have.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    My point is that there is no gap between the top 5 or so Irish teams and everyone not named Celtic in the SPL. Maybe Rnagers will get back to that level in the next few years. Asking our teams to play St Johnstones U20s in a competitive fixture is insulting.
    You may well be right on that. But my point is - how can you say that for certain ? The only yardsticks available would, on paper, suggest Scottish football is in a better and stronger shape.

If Bray etc were invited into a competition against the SPL teams - even those outside of Europe that would be reasonable.
    I'm not convinced Bray or Limerick would be beating the likes of Hearts or even the newly promoted Hibs on a regular basis. Resources and facilities would suggest otherwise.

I think this whole discussion is just indicative of how those who support each league think it's stronger than the other, on the basis of no real comparative evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I'm using European football as a yardstick. Actual results. Our top teams are as good or better than Scottish teams - despite the advantage those Scottish teams have in coefficient driven by Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Why ?

Bray Wanderers travelling to face the mighty Crawley Town on a Tuesday night in November ? The glamour of it all....
    Obviously again it will never happen.

Just curious how LoI clubs would get on against League One opposition especially. There are clubs in that league that LoI clubs can learn a lot from right across a club's setup. Regular visits might spark fresh ideas and new thinking. It wouldn't be a bad thing for the league to have a closer link to the professional setup of the third tier across the water.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I find the invitation to this tournament an insult. I'm sure it'll be a great trip but this is how Scotland sees the LOI, about the level of their U20 teams. Glad we're not involved. Hope to **** Bray or Sligo win the thing.
    The competition is for Scottish League clubs. The SPL u20s are invitees too, as with the League of Wales and NI clubs. The top two clubs were invited from those leagues whereas it's the 5th and 6th placed clubs from the LoI.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Obviously again it will never happen.

Just curious how LoI clubs would get on against League One opposition especially. There are clubs in that league that LoI clubs can learn a lot from right across a club's setup. Regular visits might spark fresh ideas and new thinking. It wouldn't be a bad thing for the league to have a closer link to the professional setup of the third tier across the water.
    Off the field at least this is already happening, and the FAI have been good in facilitating it. LOI clubs had a marketing workshop at the weekend at which Millwall spoke (they won family club of the year last year with a tiny spend so had lots to offer). Earlier this year at the media officer workshop there were presentations by Aberdeen, TNS and Colchester.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I'd be gutted if Limerick were in this and got a home draw.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Sorry, was on my phone and went to edit my post to add this link but managed to delete it instead!
    http://braywanderersfc.ie/spfl-relea...u-cup-details/
    Last edited by Seagull; 21/06/2017 at 8:29 PM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    "The overall amount available for prize money is up by 9%, from £308,000 to £335,200", not bad..............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    At a minimum it will have 1 competative pre season fixture for Sligo and Bray. That the top 2 in the Irish league are in it is interesting with mid table LoI sides - dont the Irish League sides not have enough with their own domestic competitions Europe and this. Id see the attraction if a tie was in late June early July.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    At a minimum it will have 1 competative pre season fixture for Sligo and Bray. That the top 2 in the Irish league are in it is interesting with mid table LoI sides - dont the Irish League sides not have enough with their own domestic competitions Europe and this. Id see the attraction if a tie was in late June early July.
    1) They like the money.

2) Anything that links IL clubs closer to Scotland tends to be popular.

3) Anything that reminds everyone that IL clubs are part of the UK tends to be popular with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Fair comment! I was thinking that it showed air of inferiority complex - pull out of the Setanta Cup 'due to travel costs' and that IL sides generally not progressing (although they did when the prizemoney was very good early years). Not that long after they could play in Scotland, Wales and RoI and the teams from LoI are midtable as opposed to European qualifiers. But yup what you say fits the logic ok. Anyone think this comp could be expanded or the forerunner to Celtic league, if you pardon the term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    Sorry, was on my phone and went to edit my post to add this link but managed to delete it instead!
    http://braywanderersfc.ie/spfl-relea...u-cup-details/
    As luck would have it Bray and Sligo are down to play each other on the weekend they'll both start in the competition, if they get through a round Sligo-Bohs and Bray-Galway could be affected

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I would be very positive about this competition for LoI clubs. Some of the benefits have already been mentioned on here such as learning from clubs with a more professional structure. Also the 5k sterling for cost of overseas trip, plus tv coverage of the later stages of the competition are great incentives, and of course a very realistic test for both Bray and Sligo compared to euro competitions. Good work by the FAI to get us in it.
    ps I could also be a way to re-introduce LoI soccer to TG4, which sadly has gone big on rugger in recent years, leaving the soccer Gaels on the side.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I can see Firhill from the window of my flat, so I'm hoping Bray get an away draw against Partick Colts! Anywhere Central Belt-ish should be okay to make though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    LoI clubs seem to be performing quite well in Europe in comparison with SPL clubs, apart from Celtic. It'll be interesting to see how LoI midtable clubs from last season get on against lower league Scottish opponents.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Will Bray still be entering this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    Will Bray still be entering this?
    Pats next in line if they don't?
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    After a few years of of astricks not appearing and not major controversy we have the question marks over Athlone and now Bray. With Bray it doesnt look good in terms of this competition if teams entered get bumped out due to financial mismanagement. Wouldnt surprise me if the FAI introduce some sort of bond lodgements as participation for bot league and this cup or a central contract system paid for by the clubs but issued by the FAI as it reflects REALLY badly on them in a much wider audience when the SFA, never mind the Welsh and Nordies, are asking WTH as yiz at.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I see the draw has been made for the 1st Round here...

http://int.soccerway.com/national/sc...-round/r40492/

The 2nd round when the Irish & Welsh clubs enter takes place on the first weekend in September.

It also looks like Eir have the rights to the games.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast