Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midweek fixtures

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk were fairly average tonight, never really posed a big enough threat to win the match, Derry were full value for the draw. This was Dundalk's first draw of the campaign and only the second home league game we didn't win.

Disappointing result but you have to take any positive, 3rd clean sheet in a row and favourites in the race for second!

McNamee and Low were very good for Derry in the middle of MF, we were poor there in the second half, never really got control of the match.

Good point made by Nesta99 above, if we finish 2nd, the 5 year record won't look too bad at all, with a return of 2-1-1-1-2.
    Yeah but continue that trend and you'll finish 11th next year. Which would be quite an achievement in a 10-team league.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Poor ould Limerick with nothing to play for except mid-table mediocrity?

Probably the 2 point gap to Rovers is just a bridge too far....
    Don't forget the chance to play in Scotland

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Don't forget the chance to play in Scotland
    Jeez your right. So next year top 4 for europe 5th and 6th for (sort of europe) and bottom 4 fighting the drop. No end of season nothing matches there. Plus in 1st devision top 5 or 6 trying to make promotion or play offs (assuming 2 up with a play off)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Bohs were atrocious for all except the 15 minutes before halftime and we were well worth the win.
    Yeah, we were very poor for first half an hour then dominated for 15.
    Even enough second half until Limerick went for the win 15 mins from time.Great last 15 from Ogdbene, also a good turn as panto villain.
    1360 at the game, not bad for a Tuesday night.Two massive games v Galway and Drogs coming up.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Well you just lost to us by a flattering 2 to 1 and best them 3 nil in limerick but no doubt you think they are a better team then rovers ))))
    I don't particularly rate either team, but I think it foolish to dismiss their chances of a top 4 finish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Fair enough you don't rate either team and while not particularly rating Dundalk this year I think it would be foolish of me to dismiss their chances either,,,,,,,, but then I never do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The best winning streak either Limerick or Rovers have managed so far is 2 games. Rovers best unbeaten streak is just 3 games. Limerick managed a 5 game streak with 2 wins and three draws. If either of them can put a streak of a handful of games together they could pull away from the other.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Yeah, we were very poor for first half an hour then dominated for 15.
    Even enough second half until Limerick went for the win 15 mins from time.Great last 15 from Ogdbene, also a good turn as panto villain.
    1360 at the game, not bad for a Tuesday night.Two massive games v Galway and Drogs coming up.

I thought we were the better team in the 2nd half also, though not as dominant as the first 30 minutes. I think you only had one real chance in the 2nd half - the blocked shot which injured our centre back. We looked fitter also - after we went 2-1 up, you didn't have much left in the tank.

Ogbene caused you a lot of trouble alright, nobody could keep pace with him, and he was flattened a good few times. I didn't think the red card was a straight red really, but you had a few more that could have been booked for fouls on him. The ref was very hesitant to show any cards for most of the game.
    Last edited by osarusan; 24/05/2017 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Fair enough you don't rate either team and while not particularly rating Dundalk this year I think it would be foolish of me to dismiss their chances either,,,,,,,, but then I never do.
    I have no idea why you are trying to say here. Whether or not you rate Dundalk and / or "dismiss their chances" has absolutely nothing to do with you apparently ruling Limerick out of challenging for a top 4 place

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Bohs did get one shot away in the second half, on a breakaway while Ogbene was down at the other end, Hall saved for a corner. Aside from that and the aforementioned blocked shot, I don't think they had another effort on target in the second half. Definitely a bit of a fitness issue: they had that free-kick in a very good position in the last moment and it barely got above groin level, and then they couldn't secure the rebound.

Ogbene was being fouled all over the place, and he was proper taken out for the red. Maybe not a straight red offence, but considering the referee seemed to have trouble finding his cards all night I wasn't too sympathetic. That being said, we were lucky not to have a defender sent off less than a minute later for what could possibly have been viewed as a "last man back" style cynical foul.

I think some of the home resentment towards Ogbene came from an incident down by the corner flag where he got a little shove and collapsed. The ref appeared to tell him off for play-acting, but no card was produced either.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I have no idea why you are trying to say here. Whether or not you rate Dundalk and / or "dismiss their chances" has absolutely nothing to do with you apparently ruling Limerick out of challenging for a top 4 place
    Jeezzzz for starters I wasn't dismissing Limerick I was giving my "opinion" that the Europa league was likely between rovers derry bray and Dundalk rather unantagonizing and uncontroversial I would have said.
    The same way people on here have given their "opinions" in the past that we were in a relegation battle and the worst rovers team ever...etc etc

My subtle (to subtle obviously) other point was that I don't disparage other teams as a rule unlike others............hint hint
    don't know why I bother leopards and spots etc etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Dundalk were fairly average tonight, never really posed a big enough threat to win the match, Derry were full value for the draw. This was Dundalk's first draw of the campaign and only the second home league game we didn't win.
    Dundalk had the better chances by far, and but for Gerard Doherty would have scored in the first half.
    Second half we came at Dundalk a lot more, and it worked for us. Benson cleared off the line for what would have been a great OG, and we'd have few other chances, but only one shot on-target, I think.

Dundalk, at times, showed some of the flare they had last season, but they just haven't replaced the quality that they lost. Pleased that we got the draw in the end, it's a game we'd have lost a month ago.
    An entertaining game, I thought, with mixed emotions at the end. Could have won it, but could easily have lost too. Few Dundalk fans we were chatting to thought we deserved a win, but that's probably overstating our efforts. A draw was fair enough.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Jeezzzz for starters I wasn't dismissing Limerick I was giving my "opinion" that the Europa league was likely between rovers derry bray and Dundalk rather unantagonizing and uncontroversial I would have said.
    The same way people on here have given their "opinions" in the past that we were in a relegation battle and the worst rovers team ever...etc etc

My subtle (to subtle obviously) other point was that I don't disparage other teams as a rule unlike others............hint hint
    don't know why I bother leopards and spots etc etc...
    I think I get it. You just ignored Limerick so you would not disparage them or be seen to dismiss their Europa League chances, but your opinion is that they cannot finish in the top four?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I doubt even the Limerick fans on here were as upset as you at the outrage of me thinking that rovers would finish ahead of them and that they weren't one of the likely favourites to qualify for Europe, its at least on a par with comments on here about ......... "worst Rovers team ever and that we are in a relegation battle....
    Anyway I give up, talking to you is like shouting into a big hole in the ground, I should know better.
    Continue with your Rovers obsession.
    Maybe Limerick will finish ahead of Rovers as well as drogs bohs harps pats galway and Sligo .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    What? Hes not obsessed with Rovers. Hes not even talking about Rovers. Hes calling you out for thinking Limerick have no chance to reach the top 4! Don't be so childish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I doubt even the Limerick fans on here were as upset as you at the outrage of me thinking that rovers would finish ahead of them and that they weren't one of the likely favourites to qualify for Europe, its at least on a par with comments on here about ......... "worst Rovers team ever and that we are in a relegation battle....
    Anyway I give up, talking to you is like shouting into a big hole in the ground, I should know better.
    Continue with your Rovers obsession.
    Maybe Limerick will finish ahead of Rovers as well as drogs bohs harps pats galway and Sligo .
    I am neither upset nor outraged, but amused at how blinkered you are.

I have no idea where either Limerick or Rovers will finish after another 18 games have been played, but currently sitting only 4 points off 4th spot they clearly have a chance of a top 4 finish

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Dundalk had the better chances by far, and but for Gerard Doherty would have scored in the first half.
    Ironically, Doherty wouldn't have been on the pitch if it was possible to retrospectively ban him for his outrageous dive on Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Good point made by Nesta99 above, if we finish 2nd, the 5 year record won't look too bad at all, with a return of 2-1-1-1-2.
    Certainly won't, but don't forget that it's only 4 years ago that Pats were Champions, and 5 for Sligo, the way this league is you can very seldom rest on your Laurels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I think we have a chance of top 4 but would be outsiders. I believe we will probably finish 6th. We are capable of drawing 1-1 with any team in the league except maybe Dundalk and Cork City.

A few new players in July and then who knows. However Cork and then Dundalk are still in a different league. Bray should get Europe if they can keep their first eleven on the pitch for the majority of the season. Catching both Derry City and Shamrock Rovers is too much. The Cup will probably go to one of the top 5 as well.

Even a trip to some godforsaken Scottish outpost in October 2018 would be something to look forward to. We never even got near a Setanta Cup tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I am neither upset nor outraged, but amused at how blinkered you are.

I have no idea where either Limerick or Rovers will finish after another 18 games have been played, but currently sitting only 4 points off 4th spot they clearly have a chance of a top 4 finish
    You are nothing if not boringly predictable, I have no idea why you would suggest I am blinkered to suggest the current top 5 have the best chance of qualifying for Europe, . of course Limerick have a chance as do Bohs who would have been ahead of Limerick if they had won last night. I just think that the current top 5 have a better chance.
    It is consistent with your Rovers obsession that you would see it as blinkered though.
    Go and have a drink I think you need one and worry about Dundalk for a change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast