Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Bohs (A)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Bohs (A)

Can Limerick break a six-game winless streak in Dalymount Park tomorrow night?

If you can't make it, tune into Limerick Soccer Live -- where I'll be joined by a returning Conor Molan -- to find out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Going by the first game I would think a draw at best was impressed with them at markets field but they have been up and down also , was impressed with our work rate v dundalk so hopefully keep that going anyway be good to see turner getting a start

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Excellent win tonight. With the exception of the period from the Bohemians goal to half-time, Limerick were dominant in most respects, think Bohs forced Hall into just two other saves. Bit of fortune to both goals, but we created a good few chances. It was scrappy at times - not helped by an appallingly officiating job from ref and linesmen - but a well-deserved and badly needed three points. Meant a lot to the players too, you could see it at the end. Some of the final balls and decision making re: passes in the final third needs serious work but this is a team that could conceivably challenge for the top 4 if the kinks were worked out. But the way the team contracted in the last part of the first half was seriously concerning. Real rabbit in the headlights feeling then, and McDonald seemed frozen on the sidelines just waiting for half-time. But come the second half it was all good again.

Ogbene terrorised them at times, he's an amazing talent. When he's running at defenders he is something else, and as has become typical, the opposition scythe into him eventually. It was a well-earned red, but we probably should have had our man - Williams was it? - sent off aswell shortly after.

Williams, Cotter, Duggan excellent also, Tosi did the job well upfront. Mulhall had a poor game though, seemed very off the pace tonight. Bohs were really poor I thought, for a home game against a team only just ahead of them in the league. Hope Cotter is OK, was a bit mystified the stretcher wasn't called for.

Actually have never stuck my head in Dalymount for a Limerick game before even though it's just down the road from where I am now. It really is a bit of a ruin, and the atmosphere from the home fans was terrible for the most part. There was some trouble with the stewards after the first Limerick goal right? Did they throw those two lads out for hugging Tosi or was there more to it?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fully deserved win. thought we were fully dominant. Ogbene really ran them ragged, if he could improve his finishing he'd be the real deal. Don't know what the bohs fans were complaining about, it was a blatant red.

I thought Hery was great, the match definitely suited him but thought he did great. Cotter I liked too though he did have a few distribution brain farts on occasion.

Beat Harps now and it sets the Bray match up nicely.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes, they threw out the two lads whoever they were. Thought it was completely OTT, they barely set foot on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Hery was my man of the match. Dozie also played very well and is a real talent. He could do with some protection though. It was a great win but concerning that we needed an own goal 8 minutes from time to beat an inferior team who played badly apart from a 15 minute spell before half time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Analysis of the game can be found here, and you can listen back to Limerick Soccer Live's broadcast here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Hi Alan, great commentary last night and good analysis as usual above. Are you covering Fridays game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Thanks.

Friday would only be possible if I stayed overnight on Thursday, and realistically that doesn't look like a possibility at the minute. Sorry!

Anything you would suggest to improve my output, while I have you? Glad you're enjoying it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Not really, your analysis is quite detailed and you don't hold back on criticism. Not sure where the problem lies with your signal dropping during games. Keep up the good work. Your a lot of people's link to games we can't make it to.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Bohs are absolute poison.

Four or five (at least) clearly not up to required standard.

The fact they're not certs for relegation this year is an indictment of the standard.

The amount of times a long diag cleared their winger by feet on the way out for a throw must have hit double figures

Pender was a big loss at right back, the little fella on instead of him wasn't able for ogbene so they were reduced to kicking him for the night (which reduced him to a bit of play acting aswell)

Their centre half's weren't able for Tosi in the air, would have done a lot more damage if someone a bit more strikery than mulhall was alongside him.

Hery and Duggan are different gravy to whatever ****e bohs have on their books in midfield but we'll have to cut our cloth against better teams.

Pros:

We actively looked too good for a team for the first time in a long time.

Hopefully new improved Bastien is a permanent thing with the new manager

We won a game!

Cons:

Having dominated the first half hour after conceding the equaliser we absolutely fell to pieces up to half time.

The boy Cotter isn't good enough. Did ok up to the equaliser. Lost from then until his unfortunate injury. His inclusion in the last two games made no sense on any football level. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back in training with the senior squad. I also hope I don't see him starting between now and the end of the season.

If we stick to 4 4 2 Lee Jay has nowhere to play.

Deep into stoppage time we get a free kick midway in the bohs half by the left touchline. Five seconds later Shaun Kelly is in a one on one race with the lanky fella from shels (Doyle??) and is forced to bundle him down to prevent a one on one with Freddie. Lucky to stay on the field and we were lucky bohs shat the free kick. How in the name of jaysus does that kind of ******ology happen at the end of a gàme? Everything that cost Martin Russell his job still on show, it needs to end soon.

Overall, encouraged, it's three points we wouldn't have gotten under Russell (They would have been too rough for us) but for a new manager a win against that bohs team is minimum requirement.

Similar rubbish coming up in ballybofey Friday night. Another three points please then the home game against Bray will give us an idea of where we're at.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The boy Cotter isn't good enough. Did ok up to the equaliser. Lost from then until his unfortunate injury. His inclusion in the last two games made no sense on any football level. I hope he recovers quickly and gets back in training with the senior squad. I also hope I don't see him starting between now and the end of the season.
    Not saying you are wrong, but I would say its very early to make such a definitive call on a young lad. Weren't you the same about O'Connor, fairly dismissive of his potential and his aspirations re his not re signing, next thing Leeds Utd have a punt on him. Not saying either will make it ultimately, but maybe you are not seeing something others are ? Others who earn their living making these kind of assessments also. Whether or not, I don't think any young fella just after getting in the eleven should be dismissed like that and particularly a CB, where experience is vital and often hard earned early on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    If they think he needs hard earned first team experience stick him on a two year and send him off to cobh or athlone.

He cleared the ball to a bohs players feet twice.

Robbie Williams is having to constantly coach him on the pitch.

We're a LoI Premier club with ambitions of a top six finish.

That kind of stuff can't be going on.

I'm not trying to slate the youngfella. I'm not saying he won't be good enough.

I'm saying that at the moment, for where the club have stated they want to be, in my opinion, he's not good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Well that's different, but were you expecting him to not have a bit of a learning curve ? Most young players need them, clearly he can't go on coughing up easy possession indefinitely

I remember the last time I watched Paudie for Limerick, it was v Shels and he headed two balls straight to the feet of the Shels midfielder hovering in shooting range, and you are right, better players will hurt you for that and it can't happen. The two headers would get you ate alive at any level of ball, yet and all Paudie was kept in the side to develop and he moved up, the same people, (largely) are presently seeing the same in Cotter it looks like. They are seeing something in him.

What's he like in other areas of his game ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Hands up I've only seen him play maybe nine or ten times max and only three or four at centre half but he's tall, very athletic, very rangy, decent with his feet, confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Well that's eight or nine more than me so far anyhow.

I just reacted to very harsh dismissive words on the lad, like he's a young fella after all in a tough game and fair play to him for making the first team at the highest level of Irish ball at his age and he is keeping one or maybe two out of the side as is already.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    He's a very good prospect. Only playing 2 years as a CB, is 18?, has been called up to train with the Irish under age and Kenny Cunningham has said he was impressed with him, that he has the attributes and attitude to improve and be a very good player.

I do feel he has been thrown in at the deep end a bit though. In a makeshift defence vs Cork and similarily against Dundalk.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Cotter maybe should have been introduced into central defence last season, when we were cruising to a title and he could have been coached during games. Now is not the time to do it.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a central defender to be honest, unless he bulks up a bit, as he's very slight, but maybe he'll just develop that way.

A half a season on loan as a central defender would be a good thing for him. I think he is a less reliable option than Whitehead at the moment, but I really hope we see a new centrehalf come in during the window.

As LTID mentioned, that last minute free-kick was the worst moment of the night. Robson and Ogbene tapped it a couple of times, lost it, and suddenly, with our back 4 nearly on the halfway line, Kelly is in real trouble 50 yards away. That was utterly awful, and really surprising that Robson would make such a decision.

A good performance and win. Yes, Bohs were muck, but there are a lot of muck teams this season, or teams that can be made to look like muck. We are one of those teams, but we can be one of the teams that makes other teams look like the muck they are.

Harps next. They are a team we should be beating. If we play they way we can, we are better than them. We have a pretty good idea of how Horgan will set up against us, hopefully McDonald is made aware of that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    We beat a poor and weakened Bohs team by virtue of a own goal 8 minutes from time. Anything could happen in Ballybophey including 3-0 to either side. Cotter will be a good player but Dave O'Connor or Tony Whitehead must start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    We beat a poor and weakened Bohs team by virtue of a own goal 8 minutes from time. Anything could happen in Ballybophey including 3-0 to either side. Cotter will be a good player but Dave O'Connor or Tony Whitehead must start.
    I know it doesn't matter really but I fully believe a higher scoreline would have been a fairer reflection on the game.