Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2017

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Meanwhile, half the First Division (and some of the Premier too? Don't know is there a midweek round left) will only have game every other week pretty much till the end of the season. Utterly daft scheduling of the Cup this year.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Last 16 teams.

Cabinteely
    Shelbourne
    Shamrock Rovers
    Crumlin United
    Finn Harps
    Cobh Wanderers
    Athlone Town
    Bangor Celtic
    Cork City
    Longford Town
    Limerick
    Bluebell United
    Drogheda United
    Galway United
    St Pats Ath
    Dundalk
    Shelbourne away would be nice, for old times sake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    My dream draw home to Cabo.
    Either way one of my teams get through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Excellent game in Oriel tonight.Two fully committed sides going at each other hell for leather for most of the game.The best first half of football i've seen in a while in the LOI.
    Derry no pushover at all but we held our lines brilliantly when it was important for us to do so.Vemmelund was looking to score all match against his former side and was also excellent in his role at the heart of defence MOTM.
    Duffy is a brilliant player,nw if he can add goals(he scored one but should have had more) he's going to top class for us.Mountney showed he's still a force to be reckoned with.Stevie O was class.
    Really enjoyed that match.

Drogs in the next round please.(home or away)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Very good performance by Dundalk, second half was superb, Benson missed a sitter too, should really have been more. Derry had 2 good chances, one hit the bar, another prob should have scored in the second half, but overall it was relentless by Dundalk in the last 15, probably agree it was the best of the year so far.

Duffy was the standout player for me, he was electric down the left side, good crossing too and he earned his goal, unusual for Mountney to score even one never mind two, and the second was some effort, well worth a look tomorrow night. Vemmelund continues to impress at the back, seamless display and you get the impression he can get better too.

Derry definitely played their part in a good contest, it was by far from over at HT, only 1-0.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Anyone know when he draw for Round 2 - to be played in two weeks - is going to take place?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enruoblehs View Post
    Anyone know when he draw for Round 2 - to be played in two weeks - is going to take place?
    Soccer Republic tomorrow evening live on the RTE Player from 6:30pm.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Rather than focus endlessly on what Bradley says , you should reflect on how inarticulate Kenny is , he may be very successful as a manager but his interview skills are extremely poor.

It never ceases to amaze me how in a short one/two minute interview he can manage to pepper his comments with a litany of ".. you know.." , "..what l mean like you know.." ad nauseam and will regularly top and tail a single sentence with "..you know..".

And for the most part he never makes much sense as he comes across as being camera shy and it's almost like he's talking to himself - he could do himself a lot of good by going on a media skills training course, he's a smart guy and obviously leaves nothing to chance in preparing the team- pity he lets himself and by extension Dundalk down by being so poor on camera.

Anyway let's hope Dave Barry is never tasked with interviewing Kenny !!
    I agree that Stephen Kenny could significantly improve his media interview style and can come across as awkward and uncomfortable. This is particularly the case in short sound-byte type TV or radio interviews. I think part of this is related to his measured and considered approach to questions. It is rare that he will say something that was unintended.

He probable considers substance to be more important than style - his longer more in-depth radio interviews bear this out and he tends to communicate his philosophy, thoughts and ambitions in a very interesting and informative way.

Although I understand that your post is a classic "whataboutery" deflection, do you really expect others to ignore BradleyBalls foot-in-mouth comments, John Caulfield when he says really bizarre stuff, or Kenny Shiels' madcap statements?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Last 16 teams.

Cabinteely
    Shelbourne
    Shamrock Rovers
    Crumlin United
    Finn Harps
    Cobh Wanderers
    Athlone Town
    Bangor Celtic
    Cork City
    Longford Town
    Limerick
    Bluebell United
    Drogheda United
    Galway United
    St Pats Ath
    Dundalk
    Looking at that the only teams I wouldn't fancy us having a chance against are pats, cork, rovers or dundalk. Please give us a favourable draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    ...overall it was relentless by Dundalk in the last 15, probably agree it was the best of the year so far.
    Interesting that you'd rate that as the best this season.
    It was a vastly improved performance from Dundalk compared to our earlier games this season. I think 4-0 was a little bit harsh on us, but when you defend like that, you can't complain too much.
    I thought we were poor overall, Rogers had little bother him. It's not helped when we play midfielders at full back, but with our small squad, we have to deal with it.

You'd have to wonder why Dundalk haven't playing like that all season. There's real quality in that squad.
    We've them at home next Sunday now, it'll be intriguing to see how that goes.

Wee side note, loads of gardaí in and around the ground, more than earlier this season. Seemed a bit over the top. They even had dogs with them, though one was sleeping, which gave us a chuckle.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    It was a vastly improved performance from Dundalk compared to our earlier games this season. I think 4-0 was a little bit harsh on us, but when you defend like that, you can't complain too much.
    I thought we were poor overall, Rogers had little bother him. It's not helped when we play midfielders at full back, but with our small squad, we have to deal with it.

You'd have to wonder why Dundalk haven't playing like that all season. There's real quality in that squad.

Wee side note, loads of gardaí in and around the ground, more than earlier this season. Seemed a bit over the top. They even had dogs with them, though one was sleeping, which gave us a chuckle.
    Security always seems to be OTT at Oriel. We were held back for a ridiculous amount of time for our cup semi in 2015 and it only ended up causing trouble.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Security always seems to be OTT at Oriel. We were held back for a ridiculous amount of time for our cup semi in 2015 and it only ended up causing trouble.
    Surely it was the shortage of crisps and minerals?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Meanwhile, half the First Division (and some of the Premier too? Don't know is there a midweek round left) will only have game every other week pretty much till the end of the season. Utterly daft scheduling of the Cup this year.
    Not quite every other week. We've three free weekends between now and the end of the season.
    What would have made more sense would have been to schedule those cup weekends in with the international matches. That would make it easier for people to attend matches in Lansdowne and mean that people aren't missing club matches during international away games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I agree that Stephen Kenny could significantly improve his media interview style and can come across as awkward and uncomfortable. This is particularly the case in short sound-byte type TV or radio interviews. I think part of this is related to his measured and considered approach to questions. It is rare that he will say something that was unintended.

He probable considers substance to be more important than style - his longer more in-depth radio interviews bear this out and he tends to communicate his philosophy, thoughts and ambitions in a very interesting and informative way.

Although I understand that your post is a classic "whataboutery" deflection, do you really expect others to ignore BradleyBalls foot-in-mouth comments, John Caulfield when he says really bizarre stuff, or Kenny Shiels' madcap statements?
    I've no problem calling a manager out when they say stupid things (ive called out Kennywhine myself over the whinging about not getting penalties amongst other things) but any fair interpretation of what Bradley was saying there was that 2 or 3 goals would have changed the result of the game but it wouldn't have changed the performance which is fair enough in my view. I was at the game and the performance was good , finishing was poor and you have to isolate the two things , sometimes the ball just wont go in.
    Anyway no doubt you disagree.
    Good performance against Derry , they really are developing into our bogey team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Stephen Kenny cannot really change his speaking style. He is an awakward speaker and does hesitate a lot.

The only thing I would suggest is not to make any mention of the differential in penalties awarded compared with other clubs.

Other than that, Stephen Kenny is more than fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Stephen Kenny cannot really change his speaking style. He is an awakward speaker and does hesitate a lot.

The only thing I would suggest is not to make any mention of the differential in penalties awarded compared with other clubs.

Other than that, Stephen Kenny is more than fine.
    Completely fair point on speaking style, people can't change , imagine asking Roddy Collins to do a calm thoughtful constructive interview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Cobh Wanderers at home please
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    With Bray Derry Sligo and Bohs all gone already its shaping up to be a good year for a "minnow"
    If the draw throws up a few all Premier ties the last 8 could be very interesting.
    Roll on 6:30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    With Bray Derry Sligo and Bohs all gone already its shaping up to be a good year for a "minnow"
    Yeah Rovers might even manage to win it this year
    Here on a technicality.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

Overtime on a Sunday evening knowing there would be no trouble at all! There was always going to be loads gardai about! If trouble kicked off, it would still have taken them 2/3 minutes to get to it (even though it happens at same place anytime there is trouble)

I literally couldnt believe it when the 3rd goal went in, Derry fans started leaving the terrace only to return a minute later as they were not allowed out..

Sort of the same issue, when in Galway last week for League Cup match..Group of 3 lads from town who drove over went to get into that new bar behind the goals at HT for a drink and were not allowed in, 2 mins later myself and my mate both in Dundalk gear walked straight in!

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast