Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI open investigation into Athlone

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    That's interesting thanks for that. Not good for Athlone.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    As if things weren't bad enough apparently Roddy is waiting in the wings to take over as manager and will bring in players of his own.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Look at it another way, such are the depths of ignominy that Athlone have been dragged down to, that Roddy and his crew on the horizon look like knights in shining armour.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Won't get the fans back regardless. Investor wants his players playing. He will leave if they don't. And athlone will die with the money.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Won't get the fans back regardless. Investor wants his players playing. He will leave if they don't. And athlone will die with the money.
    Do these cowboys own 100% of the club?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Do these cowboys own 100% of the club?
    Nobody knows what is going on.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Even with half the Athlone team trying their best to lose game after game, they still have more points than Shels.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    It sounds more like an "sponsorship" deal, as the club keeps all the board and positions, get money from this investors but with the condition to use a % of this money to pay the coaches or players they say without putting any publicity on the shirts and obviously to get back fixing some games.

Probably they dressed it as if they were going to make money with those players getting transferred or whatever, or they told the board the players were going to be so good that they would promote to Premier and get money from europe. Hard to understand what they said to make it credible but obviously other clubs didn't believe in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Unsurprisingly the English media is taking an interest. First time I've seen the suggestion that the initial investment was up on €500k though. To be perfectly honest I'd be surprised if they had to go that high. I still think they'll find it hard to nail anyone officially connected to Athlone.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/...-football.html
    Aha! ...they said "Irish FA". Before I started reading it I put a little bet on with myself that they'd refer to the FAI as "the Irish FA" because ...yknow ...all British papers refer to the governing body of Football in the Republic of Ireland as "the Irish FA". Then you read through and it's like, you're rooting for them, they're nearly there, they're gonna make it, they're gonna make it, they're make it then BOOM -there it is "the Irish FA".
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Emmet Malone discussed the matter on the Irish Times' business podcast yesterday (from 29m24s): https://soundcloud.com/irishtimes-bu...etting-scandal

Whilst, on the face of it, it might seem tempting to speculate or even assume that those players who, in the past, were involved in (multiple) matches abroad that have been under investigation by UEFA must be prime suspects for some wrongdoing or shady dealings here, Malone makes an interesting point:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    We have, for instance, amongst the Athlone team, a number of players who've come over in the close season and two of them have been involved in matches on 17 previous occasions where UEFA have investigated, but neither of them has ever been convicted of anything. One, a Romanian player, has been involved in four games previously that were investigated. Now, it's worth noting at this point that all of the Longford players will, after this, have a game against their name that was investigated. So, if you play in the Romanian league, which is a car-crash for proper betting, bribe-taking and everything - there are stories every day of the week and only last week, a major story broke about bribery for the television rights for the league and the association there - then it could well be that it's almost impossible to avoid having been involved in these cases.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Crooked Longford bastards. I always knew it.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The tagged on shame for Longford is their players won a game that the other players wanted to lose.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The tagged on shame for Longford is their players won a game that the other players wanted to lose.
    Eh? I can imagine it being shameful if we didn't win alright. Like Sligo and that Albanian crowd.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Eh? I can imagine it being shameful if we didn't win alright. Like Sligo and that Albanian crowd.
    Ouch!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Ok, definitely no tagged on shame to Longford's victory, just no glory to the bragging rights.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Roddy confirmed as manager

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Should stick that in the facepalm thread too. I have no reason to have any issue with the chap but then he never managed my club. He was always great craic when at games and his 'lifes a battle keep the faith' speech to Dundalk fans outside the Lilywhite Lounge in 2012 just before Monaghan closed up shop was quite appreciated at the time tbh. If not some odd joke the best of luck to him and Athlone Town and hopefully he will have the strength of character to keep these investors grubby paws off the playing squad bar paying their wages.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A smart choice; with Roddy as boss, the owners won't even need to go to the bother of match-fixing any more to ensure they lose every game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    John O'Sullivan with a very good piece on how the investigation at Athlone puts the spotlight back on the financial strains associated with simply trying to stay afloat in the league: http://www.the42.ie/athlone-town-joh...86603-May2017/

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan
    When any difficult child has an issue, they’ll look to their parent. Athlone have made it clear in their statements that the FAI knew exactly who was coming in to the club. If Athlone Town fans could use Google to determine the investors’ background, why couldn’t the Athlone Town board or the FAI?

The reality is likely to be that they were so desperate for the investment, so desperate to save the club, that they didn’t pause to ask the right questions. If we think Athlone are alone in this, we’re wrong. Pretty much every club is a couple of bad decisions away from going out of football.

We need to do better.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast