Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Galway turning a corner?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Galway turning a corner?

I can't help feel that us Drogs are facing Galway at a terrible time this weekend, their last two results have been rock solid. Before their Dundalk game I was chatting to some Drogs as we analysed the table and we reckoned that Galway had become the first team to occupy one of the bottom three relegation spots! How wrong where we!

So ... have recent recent results been a blip or are we seeing a sustainable resurgent Galway (has the real Galway stood up? Albeit a third of the way into the season) ...

As the exam papers say "please discuss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    We've had a little bit of luck in recent weeks but weren't getting that earlier in the season.
    Added to that we have had players coming back from injury, in particular Kevin Devaney and Gavan Holohan.
    We've only lost 1 of our last 9 games in all competitions, so I'd agree you're playing us at a bad time!
    If we win on Friday we'll likely be out of the bottom 3 having been written off by a lot of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Too many draws is our problem. Our win against Dundalk last week, was our first win in the League since...we played Dundalk at home last AUGUST.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Jeepers, that's a mad stat.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I can't help feel that us Drogs are facing Galway at a terrible time this weekend their last two results have been rock solid.
    We haven't been having a terrible season, we just couldn't get a win. The lads will surely be motivated to avenge the opening night defeat. I'm still sick over it.

Some were in hysterics about the situation, but the reality is, we beat Drogheda on Friday, in all likelihood we're not even in the relegation zone, with 1 round of games played. Then we have a Derry side who are still in disarray unfortunately, to play on Monday night, our game in hand.

We have Drogs on Friday, who I would be sick if we didn't beat. Pats are away to Bray, Harps are in Cork and Sligo don't play until Sat, against Limerick, who I would back to beat them. The new manager is likely light a fire under them after the embarrassing defeat our second string gave them yesterday, so maybe I should revise that prediction.

Then we have Derry at home on Monday night. I feel we'll have to make a few changes, as it's a busy month, but the Sligo win shows that there are players there that can come in and at the very least, do a job.

I'm not getting any ideas, but just to put it in perspective, we're only 8 points off 4th place.

Before their Dundalk game I was chatting to some Drogs as we analysed the table and we reckoned that Galway had become the first team to occupy one of the bottom three relegation spots! How wrong where we!
    I have backed and am still backing Harps and Drogs for bottom three. After that I dunno.

So ... have recent recent results been a blip or are we seeing a sustainable resurgent Galway (has the real Galway stood up? Albeit a third of the way into the season) ...
    We are a much better team that our points tally suggested. It just seemed that nothing went right for us, didn't take our chances and were a cert to gift teams a goal.

We scored in every home league game since the opener, but it was only when we scored twice, to cancel out giving a goal away that we picked up a win.

In general...

H v Drogs - Should have put them out of reach when we were on top.
    A v Harps - No idea how we didn't win.
    A v Bohs - Should have won. Supple should have gone for taking out Murray. At least he scored from the free, but should have been playing v 10 going into HT. Alex Byrne walked then with 20 mins left.
    A v Bray, McCabe almost caught the ball in his hands to bring it past the defender to score. Melody has the jersey pulled off him right in front of the ref in the box minutes later as he pulled to shoot. I think some Bray fans even agreed it was bizarre.

Got a bit of luck against Dundalk, which was needed to hold out. That was almost completely absent this season until now.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Great comments lads and very relevant points. It's does appear that Galway haven't been getting the "rub of the green" and it might be changing .... damn 😜 ... you couldn't just hold off a week or two longer could you

Well for those travelling - safe trip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Too many draws is our problem. Our win against Dundalk last week, was our first win in the League since...we played Dundalk at home last AUGUST.
    What a load of tosh - we beat Bohs and Harps after that win over Bohs
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."