Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weekend April 21st Fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Which part?

No chance of Bradley being retained in the Academy when he is relieved of first team duties, or simply no chance that the board will make any changes at all?
    No chance of the board asking him to step down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Cobh Ramblers got their first home and away double over us since the closing stages of the 98/99 season. Interesting enough we didnt go up that year in Stephen Kennys first year in charge.

Cobh will be very close this year I think. They have a fierce young side out most of them 18 and 19 years old. We wont do anything this year. The turning point was Enda Curran hobbling and we were fierce slow in substituting him. It was around this period that Cobh got their first goal.

BTW Cobh programme is top notch. Well done to all involved in producing as there was serious reading in it. For the first time in years there will be a first division programme of the year awarded. Loads of colour which is great to see.
    Game could have gone either way up to the first goal, crowd was desperately disappointing, I guess the Munster game and and​ the Chelsea/spurs game affected the crowd. I don't know what more can be done to entice people in, the club for instance is very active in social media etc but a few more good results might get the floaters back.
    The programme is great alright, Michael Geasley, former programme​ of the year editor from years back is doing it again.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Cobh Ramblers got their first home and away double over us since the closing stages of the 98/99 season. Interesting enough we didnt go up that year in Stephen Kennys first year in charge.

Cobh will be very close this year I think. They have a fierce young side out most of them 18 and 19 years old. We wont do anything this year. The turning point was Enda Curran hobbling and we were fierce slow in substituting him. It was around this period that Cobh got their first goal.

BTW Cobh programme is top notch. Well done to all involved in producing as there was serious reading in it. For the first time in years there will be a first division programme of the year awarded. Loads of colour which is great to see.
    Cobh will be no where near, awful side. Pitch is a complete disgrace. Waterford will win what is the worst first division I've ever seen. CABO are the best team I've seen so far and that's simply because they were well organised and could defend. The bar isn't set too high

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Team judgements, from the guy who reckoned UCD would ship 5 or 6 against Longford.

To be relied on, for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Jeez I would have tought it was better than last year by miles.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Pipe down will ya and take a look at the table. Cobh are only one point behind Waterford at the minute. They have a decent squad put together and a manager who knows how to get the best out of them. They may not get promoted this year but they will give it a good shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Hendersons doing a fantastic job down there, if he had the resources of other clubs who know what he'd be able to achieve.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post

Longford
    Waterford
    Shels
    Cobh
    UCD
    Wexford
    CABO
    Athlone
    Lovely hurling!
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Hendersons doing a fantastic job down there, if he had the resources of other clubs who know what he'd be able to achieve.
    He can't be doing that well if they're as awful as you say they are.

Anyway, Rovers are hilarious. We might be crap but definitely the most fun Rovers team in years. Full of head the balls and as liable to lose 5-0 as win.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Does this years Cobh side contain many of last years team ? From all the turkey shoots that took place in the Markets Field last season, I remember thinking Cobh had something about them, young and in the end they got butchered but not without contributing to the game as a spectacle before this. A lot of visiting sides hardly registered their presence at all in matches. Fair play to them, delighted they are back and doing well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

Anyway, Rovers are hilarious. We might be crap but definitely the most fun Rovers team in years. Full of head the balls and as liable to lose 5-0 as win.
    As I said the standard of football in the first division is dreadful but to get them into the play offs last season and have them challenging this year even tho they've cut their budget is some going

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Does this years Cobh side contain many of last years team ? From all the turkey shoots that took place in the Markets Field last season, I remember thinking Cobh had something about them, young and in the end they got butchered but not without contributing to the game as a spectacle before this. A lot of visiting sides hardly registered their presence at all in matches. Fair play to them, delighted they are back and doing well.
    We lost three or four from last season, Shane O'Connor and Gary Comerford to Waterford, Kevin Mulcahy retired and we were never going to be able to keep Conor Ellis but a few of our 19's and one of our 17's have made the step up. We'll never match the resources of Waterford but as long as they keep plugging away who knows.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

agree with you there Charlie, think we will still qualify for Europe but will do it with more fun then last year under fenlon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Jaysus the way rovers fans keep revising their seasons objectives it could be realistically top half finish by end of series 2 and confirming pd status with 5 games to go.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Cork are absolutely favourites at the minute and obviously in a great position, 9 points is a huge lead,
    It’s a huge lead and added to that as well is that everyone below 3rd in the table are absolutely garbage so it will handy enough for Cork to keep winning

They were solid against us on Friday night without being spectacular but still won comfortably in the end without giving us any real chances.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    It’s a huge lead and added to that as well is that everyone below 3rd in the table are absolutely garbage so it will handy enough for Cork to keep winning

They were solid against us on Friday night without being spectacular but still won comfortably in the end without giving us any real chances.
    Heres the thing, we haven't been good away from home in any game really except for Limerick and they just didn't turn up that day. We were woejus against Rovers, and we were very poor in Dalymount. Apparently we werent great in Inchicore, and only played well in Drogheda once they went down to ten men. The Harps game we are happy enough due to the pithc/weather so won't read too much into that.

We weren't great away from home last year either but scored very few and so we would lose or draw in a lot of games. This year, at least so far, we have been taking our chances and winning 2 and 3 nothing. The question is will we continue being so good at punishing teams or will we revert to last season and start dropping points in these games as the season goes on.

The good news from a City point of view is that it shouldn't take more than 80 points to win the league. Even if we revert to last seasons away form and drop points regularly again then we may be off to a good enough start to make up for that. If we picked up 2 points per game for the rest of the season we'd finish with 76 points. That is roughly the equivalent of winning all our home games and drawing all our away games. Obviously you'd expect we would win a few and losee a few rather than draw them all, and we will drop points at home at some point but that gives you an idea of what it would take.

Dundalk won the league with 77 in 2016, 78 in 2016 and 74 in 2014. In order to reach 77 points this year Dundalk need another 56 points. Thats 2.4 points per game for the rest of the season. That is roughly equivalent to winning all their home games and picking up 2 points per game away from home - i.e. win half and draw half of their remaining 12 away games.

It's by no means in the bag, but we're off to a very good start which puts us in a string position for the remainder of the season. Winning on Friday would be incredible though. I don't think anyone thought we'd win every game in the first series. We still might not do that but its suddenly possible. I think the bookies would have us as favourites to do so at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Jaysus the way rovers fans keep revising their seasons objectives it could be realistically top half finish by end of series 2 and confirming pd status with 5 games to go.

How have I revised my expectations? I never said we would win the league this year but I do expect us to come back into it as the season go's on.
    We are the same distance behind Dundalk as you are behind Cork, I assume you haven't given up yet ?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Game could have gone either way up to the first goal, crowd was desperately disappointing, I guess the Munster game and and​ the Chelsea/spurs game affected the crowd. I don't know what more can be done to entice people in, the club for instance is very active in social media etc but a few more good results might get the floaters back.
    The programme is great alright, Michael Geasley, former programme​ of the year editor from years back is doing it again.
    yeah I remember reading that as I am a member of the Irish programme club. I have loads of old issues from 80s and 90s of our matches against ye and they were collectors items. Good to see him on board again.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Bradleys comment about them being able to catch Cork looks like quote of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Bradleys comment about them being able to catch Cork looks like quote of the season
    I loved his "So called big club" comment. Honestly that interview has been my highlight of the season so far, and we've won 10 games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast