Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend April 21st Fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    There a couple of clear divides in the league now. Obviously we have a large gap to Dundalk and Bray, but those two have opened up a 7 point lead on Limerick in 4th. Granted they have a game in hand to be played Monday so that could be shortened. At the moment then you have 4 points between Limerick in 4th and Pats in 9th, and just 6 between Limerick and Sligo in 11th. Galway will be happy with the point tonight but they need a couple of wins soon or they will be cut adrift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    We were absolutely god-awful in the first-half, much improved in second-half but still had a few scary moments. Draw was probably a fair result but we really need to get a win soon. And that won't happen with the side we started with tonight. Love Markets Field as a venue, a cracking spot.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Decent Bohs side in Oriel tonight. Simon was lively and the young Sule lad was very handy in the centre of the park.

There should be no relegation fears in Dalymount with that side.
    Yeah, Bohs had some good patches last night. Again made 2 or 3 really good chances, but without a proven fit centre forward we are struggling to score. Some nice football at times from us, that and the 4 euro pints of Harp in the club bar made the trip up worthwhile.
    I thought Duffy was the difference last night, made one scored one. He roasted Fitzgerald down the right in the first half

Not a great performance from Dundalk but no doubt they will improve. Hilarious baying for a penalty from the crowd each time they got into the Bohs box!

If Bohs can stay out of the bottom three until Dinny and Izzy are both back , we should be fine.
    Huge game against Harps next Friday, our biggest game of the season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Where to start, well firstly Bray are excellent, i saw them a couple of times during the later part of last season and they had really improved. Harry has brought them on again. They pushed up on Trevor Clarke nullifying the threat down that flank pretty much all night. they did look vulnerable in the 1st 20 mins to the ball over the top to Shaw but sorted that out when 1 of the center halve moved over to give cover the minute the ball was hit. The biggest thing that annoys me is the total lack movement or any of our players coming short for the ball when we have it and are trying to fashion an opening, there are also very little diagonal runs in front of the box seeking to get between or behind the oppos central defenders. Its all very static and lets be honest its hoofball. Individually apart from perhaps Webster who is struggling and that guy in blue that seems to get a game every week, (he is the worst sort of goalkeeper one that is ****e but thinks he is good, penalty all day long), we have good footballers, we also have good coaches but to my untrained eye the natural football instincts have been consistently coached out our players in the last few years and Rovers are a team that go on the pitch each week Playing with fear. The Club need to bring in an experienced number 2 who can give the manager the support and advice he needs, they also need to thin the bench of coaching staff. Manager, the number 2 and the doc. Oh and if any of you that played for us last night are looking in here stop running over to kiss the badge till you have earned it please, we will still be standing on the terraces long after you have left.
    Last edited by Kingswood Rover; 22/04/2017 at 8:53 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Fairly gutted about that result. I hate saying it, but 3-0 was very unfair. We were pretty good for the majority of the game and cork got very lucky breaks.

That cork side aint all that from what i've seen. 10 wins is impressive though, but they are fairly limited.

We are getting no luck at all. Last night wasnt an issue though, the results against limerick, harps and galway are the ones that have us in serious trouble.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    That cork side aint all that from what i've seen. 10 wins is impressive though, but they are fairly limited.
    We have had games where, the first half in particular, we haven't been great. But seem to come out better in the second.

We've learned to win despite not playing well and that is music to my ears and long may it continue as over the last few years we have dropped stupid points in games we should've been winning.

Unfortunately I'll miss the game next week, but bray will definitely come for the points the way they are playing, having already won away to dundalk and derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    and the 4 euro pints of Harp in the club bar made the trip up worthwhile..
    Great to hear, thats the stuff, noticed Bohs fans have cracked this move in recent years, go to the stand, get there early, skip down to the main bar, usually not a problem if in a small group. €4 a pint bargain.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    We have had games where, the first half in particular, we haven't been great. But seem to come out better in the second.

We've learned to win despite not playing well and that is music to my ears and long may it continue as over the last few years we have dropped stupid points in games we should've been winning.

Unfortunately I'll miss the game next week, but bray will definitely come for the points the way they are playing, having already won away to dundalk and derry.
    Cork v Bray would be a perfect game for RTE or EIR to show live. I don't think there are any live games next few weeks?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Where to start, well firstly Bray are excellent, i saw them a couple of times during the later part of last season and they had really improved. Harry has brought them on again. They pushed up on Trevor Clarke nullifying the threat down that flank pretty much all night. they did look vulnerable in the 1st 20 mins to the ball over the top to Shaw but sorted that out when 1 of the center halve moved over to give cover the minute the ball was hit. The biggest thing that annoys me is the total lack movement or any of our players coming short for the ball when we have it and are trying to fashion an opening, there are also very little diagonal runs in front of the box seeking to get between or behind the oppos central defenders. Its all very static and lets be honest its hoofball. Individually apart from perhaps Webster who is struggling and that guy in blue that seems to get a game every week, (he is the worst sort of goalkeeper one that is ****e but thinks he is good, penalty all day long), we have good footballers, we also have good coaches but to my untrained eye the natural football instincts have been consistently coached out our players in the last few years and Rovers are a team that go on the pitch each week Playing with fear. The Club need to bring in an experienced number 2 who can give the manager the support and advice he needs, they also need to thin the bench of coaching staff. Manager, the number 2 and the doc. Oh and if any of you that played for us last night are looking in here stop running over to kiss the badge till you have earned it please, we will still be standing on the terraces long after you have left.
    I am hearing that , if not beforehand, but certainly If you lose against Limerick next week , that a low key announcement will be made that Bradley will be focusing on the Roadstone Acadamy and the day to day management of the first team will assigned elsewhere.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    This week's tactical dissection, focusing on the meeting of Limerick FC and Galway United (click below)

Limerick 1-1 Galway United: Second-half change of shape earns point for winless Tribesmen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    The biggest thing that annoys me is the total lack movement or any of our players coming short for the ball when we have it and are trying to fashion an opening, there are also very little diagonal runs in front of the box seeking to get between or behind the oppos central defenders.
    Ronan Finn played that position very well for Dundalk last season. He was the link between the wide players and McMillan up front. Where is Bradley playing him?

Rovers have been unlucky with Corry breaking down but he was a very risky signing. A fit Corry would make a big difference to that team.

Are fans starting to doubt Bradley? It is always difficult to know whether to stick with a young manager or accept that he doesn't have it. At least with an experienced manager, you know that he has a track record of success even if he goes through a tough patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Bradley isn't related to a football manager. Hope Rovers stick with him for a long time. Alternatively, sack him and poach Harry Kenny. That would take Bray out of the running!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Bradley isn't related to a football manager. Hope Rovers stick with him for a long time. Alternatively, sack him and poach Harry Kenny. That would take Bray out of the running!
    We didn't even give Kenny an interview so doubt the Board will be sacking Bradley anytime soon and getting H in... unless Shane Robinson gives them permission .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    There a couple of clear divides in the league now. Obviously we have a large gap to Dundalk and Bray, but those two have opened up a 7 point lead on Limerick in 4th. Granted they have a game in hand to be played Monday so that could be shortened. At the moment then you have 4 points between Limerick in 4th and Pats in 9th, and just 6 between Limerick and Sligo in 11th. Galway will be happy with the point tonight but they need a couple of wins soon or they will be cut adrift.
    Cork are absolutely favourites at the minute and obviously in a great position, 9 points is a huge lead, and I'm almost sure we never managed to build up that type of lead during the past 3 years, although we did win it in the end by 11 and 7 points respectively last 2 seasons.

I do think they will win it this year, but it was interesting to read earlier a similar scene up north. Crusaders were 9 points ahead of Linfield in early Feb, and after today's penultimate games, Linfield are now 2 clear, only need a draw in the final game (albeit they are away to Cliftonville), they still might not do it, but they are in pole position for sure.

Probably the only good thing about 3 going down is the competitive edge to mid table teams now, and this should continue right into the final month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Complete robbery in Tolka tonight.

Battered for 85 minutes, Corbet on fire again, then up the pitch and smash in a superb late volley for the win.

Football is great all the same.
    A classic smash and grab. I hadn't been to Tolka in years. The size of the crowd astonished me even by Shelbourne standards. They're now at UCD levels of attendances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Cork are absolutely favourites at the minute and obviously in a great position, 9 points is a huge lead, and I'm almost sure we never managed to build up that type of lead during the past 3 years, although we did win it in the end by 11 and 7 points respectively last 2 seasons.

I do think they will win it this year, but it was interesting to read earlier a similar scene up north. Crusaders were 9 points ahead of Linfield in early Feb, and after today's penultimate games, Linfield are now 2 clear, only need a draw in the final game (albeit they are away to Cliftonville), they still might not do it, but they are in pole position for sure.

Probably the only good thing about 3 going down is the competitive edge to mid table teams now, and this should continue right into the final month.
    Sounds similar to the 2014 season, we reeled in a good lead, went ahead going into the last day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I am hearing that , if not beforehand, but certainly If you lose against Limerick next week , that a low key announcement will be made that Bradley will be focusing on the Roadstone Acadamy and the day to day management of the first team will assigned elsewhere.?
    Not a chance of that hsppening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    In 2014 i think Dundalk were max 7 points clear at the end of Aug, then lost 1-0 away to Pats, the odds to win the league were crazy too, went from something like 1/16 to 1/1 going into that last day, so just proves anything can happen.

El P was that the first time Cork went top that season, 2nd last weekend?

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Not a chance of that hsppening
    Which part?

No chance of Bradley being retained in the Academy when he is relieved of first team duties, or simply no chance that the board will make any changes at all?
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 23/04/2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: cart before the horse

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Cobh Ramblers got their first home and away double over us since the closing stages of the 98/99 season. Interesting enough we didnt go up that year in Stephen Kennys first year in charge.

Cobh will be very close this year I think. They have a fierce young side out most of them 18 and 19 years old. We wont do anything this year. The turning point was Enda Curran hobbling and we were fierce slow in substituting him. It was around this period that Cobh got their first goal.

BTW Cobh programme is top notch. Well done to all involved in producing as there was serious reading in it. For the first time in years there will be a first division programme of the year awarded. Loads of colour which is great to see.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast