Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOCCER REPUBLIC 11pm!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    The time slot could be better but what do you expect from RTE ?
    I would be surprised if RTÉ even make it for much longer. I don't know when the deal is up but they will drop it the minute they can.
    Not giving out about the team that produces it as such, a lot of what is wrong with it is a symptom of them having to do it with no money and probably a limited window to do things.

I enjoy the highlights but the analysis is woeful
    There was 6 games to look at from the weekend. 2 minutes of footage from Limerick v Galway. No analysis.

completely missed the main highlights of the match.
    Matches are often misrepresented in what was shown and how it is characterised by the pundit that watched the tape back, if they even did. You'd wonder sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    For me, there's a whole multitude of problems with Soccer Republic. For the best part, the production itself is top class. Take nothing from the team behind the scenes, I think the large problems lie with the analysts and the way it's presented.

1. Analysis is completely woeful. The feature game where they stop and highlight players needs scrapped. It's brutal and watching grown men struggle with technology and stumble over their words is pure car-crash television.

2. Not giving equal coverage to teams. It's been said here before, they just don't know enough about the teams they're analysing. Asking Dan Murray to comment on a game between Drogheda and Finn Harps when he's watched two minutes of footage, and possibly read two paragraphs in a national newspaper is just asking for poor commentary.

3. 'Commentary'. Adrian Eames 'commentating' from Dalymount Park. Ger Canning commentating on 'Dundork'. Just describe what happened in the game and stop trying to make it sound like you were there. It's bloody awful.

4. Peter Collins. The guy tries hard. I've no doubt that he genuinely enjoys the football, but he's a brutal presenter and about 90% of his jokes are terrible.

A few suggestions.

From the start, since MNS, people have called for no gimmicks. It's not Sky Sports, get rid of the touchscreen analysis. Just talk about the games. Cut the feature game by a few minutes and give everyone else a bit of a look too.

Either go along and actually commentate or don't bother at all. If you want to copy Match of the Day, send along a commentator and actually have them commentate on the games alongside the camera. Either that, or have a local reporter who was at the game cover the voice-over notes. RTE or Airtricity League website should be sending reporters to the games anyway to cover them.

Give the analysts a decent bit of footage to go over. They should be looking at 10-15 minutes of key moments from the games pre-editing at least. And while they're at it, if they're going to analyse footage, have them analyse key points of the game...sometimes even goals are left out.

Someone go and bundle Con Murphy into the back seat and force him back onto the sofa. If not, give the gig to Joanne Cantwell. Soccer Republic was enjoyable during the Olympics and Euros last year when Cantwell sat in temporarily.

Finally, change the feckin day it's on. Monday night, 3 full days after games finish, is beyond terrible. It would be okay if clubs were allowed to show their own highlights, but not letting anyone watch back any footage from games due to this agreement with RTE and then having to wait 3 days is ridiculous. Even a Sunday night at 10pm is far more suitable than 11pm Monday night.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 26/04/2017 at 1:42 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Someone else said it but there is no reason why they can't put it up on the player on Saturday evening, Advertisers still get their adverts.. whats the problem?
    Other than having to get the people in on a Saturday to do the editing and commentary....

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    For me, there's a whole multitude of problems with Soccer Republic. For the best part, the production itself is top class. Take nothing from the team behind the scenes, I think the large problems lie with the analysts and the way it's presented.

1. Analysis is completely woeful. The feature game where they stop and highlight players needs scrapped. It's brutal and watching grown men struggle with technology and stumble over their words is pure car-crash television.

2. Not giving equal coverage to teams. It's been said here before, they just don't know enough about the teams they're analysing. Asking Dan Murray to comment on a game between Drogheda and Finn Harps when he's watched two minutes of footage, and possibly read two paragraphs in a national newspaper is just asking for poor commentary.

3. 'Commentary'. Adrian Eames 'commentating' from Dalymount Park. Ger Canning commentating on 'Dundork'. Just describe what happened in the game and stop trying to make it sound like you were there. It's bloody awful.

4. Peter Collins. The guy tries hard. I've no doubt that he genuinely enjoys the football, but he's a brutal presenter and about 90% of his jokes are terrible.

A few suggestions.

From the start, since MNS, people have called for no gimmicks. It's not Sky Sports, get rid of the touchscreen analysis. Just talk about the games. Cut the feature game by a few minutes and give everyone else a bit of a look too.

Either go along and actually commentate or don't bother at all. If you want to copy Match of the Day, send along a commentator and actually have them commentate on the games alongside the camera. Either that, or have a local reporter who was at the game cover the voice-over notes. RTE or Airtricity League website should be sending reporters to the games anyway to cover them.

Give the analysts a decent bit of footage to go over. They should be looking at 10-15 minutes of key moments from the games pre-editing at least. And while they're at it, if they're going to analyse footage, have them analyse key points of the game...sometimes even goals are left out.

Someone go and bundle Con Murphy into the back seat and force him back onto the sofa. If not, give the gig to Joanne Cantwell. Soccer Republic was enjoyable during the Olympics and Euros last year when Cantwell sat in temporarily.

Finally, change the feckin day it's on. Monday night, 3 full days after games finish, is beyond terrible. It would be okay if clubs were allowed to show their own highlights, but not letting anyone watch back any footage from games due to this agreement with RTE and then having to wait 3 days is ridiculous. Even a Sunday night at 10pm is far more suitable than 11pm Monday night.
    considerin Eir TVs superb live package than RTES its an awful pity that Eir isnt chosen to show the highlights.. They already use Extratimes regional team for roundups of other teams. Whats the issue?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

A few suggestions.

considerin Eir TVs superb live package than RTES its an awful pity that Eir isnt chosen to show the highlights.. They already use Extratimes regional team for roundups of other teams. Whats the issue?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Some very good points there but I must say I much prefer the fake commentary then someone doing a voice over with "and then Dundalk scored their fourth goal against a terrible (insert team defending awful here) defence" before the build up for the goal even starts.

Seeing as Limerick and ourselves play on Saturday nights would think Sunday would realistically be the earliest they could produce it by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I think we are behind the trend when it comes to broadcasting our league. League of Ireland fans are constantly complaining about lack of coverage from RTE or the FAI. It's a waste of time moaning and expecting someone else to promote our "product" at this stage. Really the clubs should come together and produce their own preview show with interviews, insights, and even a quick round up of the previous weekends goals and broadcast it live on YouTube, Facebook, or other sites every Thursday night.* The costs of making such a show are very little between 20 clubs. It's the direction media and coverage has been going the past few years. If you look at all the "alternative media" sites away from the mainstream, some will broadcast live on YouTube for 15 minutes then you have to subscribe* to view the rest of the show something like €50 a year...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

A few suggestions.

As for "FABIO" O'Brien commenting on his mate "Bradser" on the weekly Shamrock Rovers discussion last night🙈

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    My god Dave Barry is agony to listen to. "ya know, ya know, ya know sure"

And Rowling at Sligo looked to have one of the worst performances of all time against Dundalk.
    Last edited by osarusan; 15/05/2017 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Thought he was the best right back in the league last season. And the worst this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Who was the lunatic roaring during the coverage of the Harps game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Who was the lunatic roaring during the coverage of the Harps game?
    Guess?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Ahhhhhhh

Was thinking I didn't spot him in Oriel alright. Marie Crowe will be doing an interview with him soon enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Ahhhhhhh

Was thinking I didn't spot him in Oriel alright. Marie Crowe will be doing an interview with him soon enough
    It was Ollie Horgan. I don't know why he'd have been in Oriel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Ahhhhhhh

If you're referring to Tom, well he was in Oriel. I was talking, or rather listening, to him in the bar after the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yeah I'm referring to Tom - was Ollie Horgan in the commentary box. He's never that clear on the commentry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Yeah I'm referring to Tom - was Ollie Horgan in the commentary box. He's never that clear on the commentry.
    He was about three foot away from the camera. Touchline ban for being sent off against Bohs.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quite funny how they were cutting N'Do when he was doing his reasonings, I don't think they will call him again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    In fairness, I think there was a collective "what in the feck is he talking about?" when he tried to defend Gannons challenge on Sean Houston for Harps denied penalty shout.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast