Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limerick v Drogheda

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    It has always amused me that every single word I put into the public domain gets scrutinised to the nth degree, while others get away with absolute murder and never get called on it.

All about who your friends are I guess.

Looking forward to a busy couple of weeks ahead, with a plethora of big junior fixtures and three massive Limerick Soccer Live broadcasts. Thanks to those who've checked it out thus far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    That is indeed the point I was making.

As for referring to Duggan as "the only natural holding midfielder" in the squad, that was extremely poor phrasing on my part.

I was responding to a quite ridiculous suggestion that Duggan should be dropped in favour of Bastien Hery, thus weakening further an already defensively-unsound central midfield.

Shane is of course best used in a runner/box-to-box role. But, he is the player in the squad most capable of performing holding duties; certainly infinitely more capable than the likes of Hery, which is the point I was trying to make on that occasion.
    Well then you were answering a suggestion that wasn't made because I didn't say Duggan should be dropped.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    It has always amused me that every single word I put into the public domain gets scrutinised to the nth degree, while others get away with absolute murder and never get called on it.

All about who your friends are I guess.
    With respect, I don't think anybody else plugs and links to their own material as much as you do. You are pretty much inviting scrutiny of it.

And I've read your analyses elsewhere and disagreed with some of what you said, but never expressed it here or elsewhere.

If you are trying to make a go of it as a journalist or whatever, good luck to you. Keep up the reports and all that. Journalists need very thick skins so you might be better off paying no attention to the comments on an anonymous* message board.

*anonymous for the most part - I only know the real life identity of a handful of posters on here, and you are not one of them.
    Last edited by osarusan; 12/04/2017 at 9:23 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    AlanOB's Law:As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a vague reference to real-life junior league shenanigans becomes 1.

Edit: No offence meant to anyone, honest. Just a little rolly-eyed over the constant back and forth over Alan's comments.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 12/04/2017 at 9:35 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    everyone bow down to this journalist's superior knowledge of football and for those that question this almighty god will feel the wrath from this "journalist" with a hard hitting personal response using sophisticated words to demonstrate his intelliegence and creating a siege mentally of everyone is against me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Everyone's entitled to their etc etc
    We've been over this ground before

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    So are people thinking same team as Pats or change it up a bit?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Thought we picked a team with max work rate last week. This week we are at home against a team we are perceived as supposed to beat. Might call for a slightly different setup but I suspect we will play it safe and put a similar 11 on the field.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Stick with the same. Show the players that if you put in a performance you keep your place.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Got to be happy with that lads.

Has our style of play changed a lot, particularly what the back four are being instructed to do and when ?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post

Has our style of play changed a lot, particularly what the back four are being instructed to do and when ?
    From tonight's game we are playing the ball from the back only when it is on. When we were playing it around defence tonight it was a bit higher up the pitch rather than right in front of the goals. Our fullbacks seem to be pushed much higher up with Kelly getting great change down the right wing.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post

Excellent performance cork Monday hopefully we get a half decent crowd anything over 1000 would be great.

Ya you can see the players are not messing around with the ball at the back as much if there getting pressed it gets played long to Tosi or up the line which is proper order we still try to play out but not a stupidly like before also there is alot more bodies getting into the box which is another thing that has changed a few weeks ago Tosi was by himself .

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    First game I've been able to see in a while,great performance, great atmosphere. great all around.

Obviously helped that we were able to deal two hammer blows within seven minutes. For the first, I had literally just turned and said to my father "Drogs aren't covering the back post", and then Limerick pulled an excellent corner drill and Tosi was able to head home at the backpost. Then four minutes later Ogbene did great work and Mulhall got the lucky deflection and Limerick had the perfect start.

We were all over them. Every time Lynch or Ogbene went at them from either flank, Drogs were struggling. They left so much space all over the field. Tosi was taking down every ball played to him and laying them off brilliantly- did he fail to win any headers in the first half? -and causing Drogs problems at every turn. Very strong at the back throughout, especially Williams. And just generally, Limerick seemed to be fighting for every ball ina way that Drogheda just weren't.

In the first half alone, there was a bunch of chances to double the lead (at least). Three penalty shouts. The first looked like a clear raised arm for a handball, the second Ogbene was barged in the bank while going forward, the third, I didn't see clearly so can't comment, but was told was another clear handball shout. Tosi went round the keeper after a defensive calamity, but McGuiness recovered very well to deny him. Lots of great flank play, lots of great through ball, just frustrating that no third was added before HT. Drogheda took the sting Out of the game in the last 15 minutes ofthe first half, and should have got one back with that deflected effort in the last 5 minutes.

It was a matter of time before Limerick killed it, and Ogbene did so much good work to get a well deserved goal, losing the ball in the buildup, winning it back, and finishing sublimely. Some kudos should also be given to the defense in the run-up to it though, passing the ball around at the back for a while. Some of the crowd was getting a bit hysterical about it, but as far as I could see they were just waiting for the gap to appear, and never seemed to be in much trouble. Story of the game really.

Limerick should have added a few in the second. Hit the bar twice, forced McGuiness into good saves a few times. It could really have been 7-0 if Limerick had been more ruthless in front of goal. Once that third was scored it became a training exercise.

Hard to evaluate the different parts of the pitch, other than to say how confident and comfortable everyone seemed. Clarke very steady in the goal, only one save of note to make. Williams dominant at the back, dealing with everything easily. Robson very impressive. Duggan controlling things in the middle, Hery impressing in his time. Ogbene well worth MOTM, Drogheda has to resort to kicking at him to try and stop him.

Drogs were awful. Offered very little going forward, easily picked apart at the back. It’s a far cry from the 2-2 all last season in the same ground. Can someone remind me why Thornton got so much abuse? Anyway,judging by what I saw tonight, very little faith that they can avoid going straight back down. Counted 40 or so away fans, long trip back up after that.

4th tonight, we can start thinking of Europe again. On the basis of what I saw tonight, it’s not all that far out of reach. Three goals, should have had more, clean sheet. Can’t ask much more.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 15/04/2017 at 11:29 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Good effort by the lads, nice football at times too. Got off to a perfect start and Drogheda never started....If that was a fair representation of them, they will be relegated. Never pressed and if you give us space we look very good. Let's not get too excited, we are 5 points from 11th place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I think most have summed it up really well about the passing it at the back we haven't switched to rushing it out or just hoofing it while at the same time we have gotten rid of the overdoing it, good balance with it last two games and Willie deserves credit for that. Far too often after games like this one its all about Drogs being poor and make no mistake they were but I don't think credit should be taken from our lads either after an utterly dominant performance for the most part. Don't forget Bohs and Harps are poor too and things were a hell of a lot different against those two.

Good performances from most if not all tbh and even though it came with a slice of luck I was thrilled to see Mulhall get one can't help but really pull for such an honest hard working lad. The little changes Willie has made have made a huge difference to some players too in the last two games Tosi,Ogbene and Tommy Robson in particular have seemed much improved, Ogbene and Robson tormented their full back all game. Personally thought Tosi was excellent his winning headers and flick ons were brilliant and he should have had more than the one goal in all honesty he was quite clearly good enough from seeing him in pre season its just a matter of using him properly and getting bodies around him which we didn't do under Martin. Now I am sure we will see more games where he is out of it like some recently but hoping to see a lot more like the last 2.
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 16/04/2017 at 8:19 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Far too often after games like this one its all about Drogs being poor and make no mistake they were but I don't think credit should be taken from our lads either after an utterly dominant performance for the most part. Don't forget Bohs and Harps are poor too and things were a hell of a lot different against those two.
    This is what I was thinking also. At least we are testing teams defensively, which we never really did at all against Bohs and Harps (turns out Bohs are pretty rubbish defensively). Same with Pats last week, in the first half at least - get a decent attacking platform and make them defend, see how good they are. Not only that, but if you are testing a team defensively, they'll be that bit less likely to commit players in attack too. We saw that under Russell against Bray too, but we are creating much much more now.

Mulhall did well again, and I think his energy and closing down freed up Lynch also. He's another physical guy who can win headers too, so defences have something else to consider besides Tosi. Drogheda played into our hands by giving our full backs and wingers so much space, and we did well to exploit it. Sean Kelly in particular got to the end line numerous times.

In a way it's a pity we have Cork tomorrow (unless we win!). I'd prefer the team to still feel positivity and momentum going into the Galway game, and Cork might take the wind out of our sails a bit. I'd have no problem with a load of subs playing tomorrow, for this reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    This is what I was thinking also. At least we are testing teams defensively, which we never really did at all against Bohs and Harps (turns out Bohs are pretty rubbish defensively). Same with Pats last week, in the first half at least - get a decent attacking platform and make them defend, see how good they are. Not only that, but if you are testing a team defensively, they'll be that bit less likely to commit players in attack too. We saw that under Russell against Bray too, but we are creating much much more now.

Mulhall did well again, and I think his energy and closing down freed up Lynch also. He's another physical guy who can win headers too, so defences have something else to consider besides Tosi. Drogheda played into our hands by giving our full backs and wingers so much space, and we did well to exploit it. Sean Kelly in particular got to the end line numerous times.

In a way it's a pity we have Cork tomorrow (unless we win!). I'd prefer the team to still feel positivity and momentum going into the Galway game, and Cork might take the wind out of our sails a bit. I'd have no problem with a load of subs playing tomorrow, for this reason.
    I'd honestly go as close as we can to resting the entire 11 Galway Friday far far more important.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Brilliant moment just after Ogbene goal when Freddy stood up and applauded the ball from B.Clarke and got a thumbs up back. Great to see.

Anyone know what happened Freddy btw, wore a protective mask during the warm up?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EL_Limerick View Post
    Brilliant moment just after Ogbene goal when Freddy stood up and applauded the ball from B.Clarke and got a thumbs up back. Great to see.

Anyone know what happened Freddy btw, wore a protective mask during the warm up?
    Collision in training broke his nose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast