Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOI Fixtures April 7th and 8th

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Shambolic organising by Cork last night allowing youngsters interfere with the rte during their half-time segment. You would not see this carry-on at a gaa club match on tg4.
    Great professionalism display by Peter Collins and team however. Impressed with Declan Devine's contributions, Dan Murray will improve I am sure.
    While the young lads shouldn't have been allowed to walk past the cameras, you do indeed get that at gaa grounds all the time. I see it ever week when intercounty players are being interviewed on pitch after the match

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Jackson's and Villa rose both walking distance from the ground and Kees is a little further away in Stranorlar but again a handy dander over the town,all have decent bars and food options.There's a couple of okish pubs in town,Pat Bonner's,Barrett's is where you'll find Harps fans and Heeneys is not bad it does decent grub as well.
    If you're looking for a night out after I'd suggest staying in Letterkenny again plenty of hotel options but Letterkenny would be 20/25 minutes drive from Finn Park, hope that helps.
    Cheers Joey - appreciated

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    While the young lads shouldn't have been allowed to walk past the cameras, you do indeed get that at gaa grounds all the time. I see it ever week when intercounty players are being interviewed on pitch after the match
    Indeed, see here - a TG4 interview of Mayo's Tom Parsons (with people in the background cheering, waving and even a kid in his da's arms mock-shooting himself in the head with a toy gun, ha) after his county beat Tyrone in Omagh - from just the other weekend: https://www.facebook.com/HumansofGAA...9570827828345/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Yeah, good summary. The second came at a time i thought we might cave in, and instead it was game over.

Couple of superb saves from Clarke too.
    Yeah, one superb save in particular from Clarkie in the second half, from an Ian Birmingham shot. How w didn't score from a couple of those goalmouth scrambles in still a mystery to me the following morning. Alex O'Hanlon practically ended up sitting on the ball at one stage when it looked easier to score. Going to be a tough season for us, no doubt about it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Overall it was a poor quality game - but from a very early stage it was clear that there was only one likely outcome. Harps were physical and had plenty of effort but were simply not at the races and it was in the dying embers of the match that Harps had their solitary shot on target.

A 3 or 4 goal win would not have flattered
    Excuse me. Harps had two shots on target. There was a weak effort in the first half. We were denied a completely stonewall penalty by Paul Tuite who had a nightmare game. Vemmelund should have been sent off and Harps were not the only physical side by any means, Dundalk gave every bit as good as they got.

Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    When I was walking into the match with my father and my five year old daughter,there was two "kids" who couldn't handle their drink being held by gardai,was no bad atmosphere etc just a couple of idiots who probably had a few too many cans on the bus.
    Bus load of teenagers all caused trouble in the town. Around 10-15 of them stopped by the Gardai using fake ID's in a pub on the main street. Took 5 cops to separate them all beating the heads of each other outside the door.

There was a few lads arrested later on outside the shop next to the ground. It was definitely isolated to this one bus load of lads though, not one of them seemed to have any bit of Dundalk FC attire on them either.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Jackson's and Villa rose both walking distance from the ground and Kees is a little further away in Stranorlar but again a handy dander over the town,all have decent bars and food options.There's a couple of okish pubs in town,Pat Bonner's,Barrett's is where you'll find Harps fans and Heeneys is not bad it does decent grub as well.
    If you're looking for a night out after I'd suggest staying in Letterkenny again plenty of hotel options but Letterkenny would be 20/25 minutes drive from Finn Park, hope that helps.
    Cheers for that. Couple of us are thinking of doing an overnight for our game up there.

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post

Corks bubble will burst soon enou4 although they did look good tonight even against a seriously weakened Derry team .
    We've not played well yet. Maybe 30 mins here and there. Bohs, Pats and Bray finish off this series for us, and we start Series 2 with Harps, Galway, Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers.

We've had serious injuries too. Bolger, Beattie, Campion, Dunleavy all absent or just back on the bench from injury in the case of Beattie. John Kavanagh has had injury issues too. It's all about squad depth. Still issues in central defence in terms of quality and cover, and if Maguire got injured then we're ****ed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Carey View Post
    We've not played well yet. Maybe 30 mins here and there. Bohs, Pats and Bray finish off this series for us, and we start Series 2 with Harps, Galway, Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers.

We've had serious injuries too. Bolger, Beattie, Campion, Dunleavy all absent or just back on the bench from injury in the case of Beattie. John Kavanagh has had injury issues too. It's all about squad depth. Still issues in central defence in terms of quality and cover, and if Maguire got injured then we're ****ed.

The really positive thing for Cork is that they haven't really clicked yet. Even in games where they are poor, like in Tallaght, they are getting three points.

There is always the risk that Maguire will want away in the summer but, unlike Bradley, I don't think Cork are a one man team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    A lot of suspicions of offside surrounding Dundalks second goal last night..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Cheers for that. Couple of us are thinking of doing an overnight for our game up there.

I'd def stay in Balybofey guys, you don't want to be driving 30 mins at 10pm or so. Good few of us stayed in Jacksons hotel last year, perfect spot and very reasonably priced, nice beer garden too, 10 min walk to the match. Balybofey might be small, but it has a nice feel to it, nice few pubs around.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    The one certainty is that we won't maintain the 100% record all season. Some of our fans need to get a bit of a grip I feel. It can turn very, very quickly. One game at a time, and the next one is Bohs. A game we're well capable of winning.
    Agreed. I'd be surprised if we won the whole first series. Its certainly possible, but football never goes the way you expect it. I'll be delighted if we can get to 9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    A lot of suspicions of offside surrounding Dundalks second goal last night..

Good photo, but it will depend on where McMillan and the defender was when the ball was played in. We'll see it on Mon night. Heard Harps denied what looked a more than decent pen shout though?
    Last edited by oriel; 08/04/2017 at 7:34 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The really positive thing for Cork is that they haven't really clicked yet. Even in games where they are poor, like in Tallaght, they are getting three points.

There is always the risk that Maguire will want away in the summer but, unlike Bradley, I don't think Cork are a one man team.
    Not using it as an excuse, but the weather in the two away games to Harps and Rovers was shocking. Two huge wins there under the conditions. We must be favourites to win 11/11 in Series 1. Though the next 3 games are difficult, and everyone will be out to stop the run now. If we somehow do, the start to Series 2 looks very favourable to keep the run going.

Home twice to Dundalk, Derry and Bray is good for us - those 3 look like the 3 challengers.

With almost 12,000 through the gate in the past two home games, Caulfield might be able to add to the squad in July.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Just watching the game back there, Adrian eames reckoned we were singing "stand up for the champions" quite clearly weren't.

Think our timing was a bit off for our minutes applause in the 5th minute, was actually in the 7th.

Got a bit lucky with the second goal, should've been a free to derry in the build up.

Very pleasing to get 3 goals. We weren't up to much in the first half but certainly upped it in the second.

On the road now next 3 games, away to Limerick in the EA sports cup in between 2 trips to Dublin

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Good photo, but it will depend on where McMillan and the defender was when the ball was played it.
    "Good photo" is very polite!

It is a technically very adept picture alright. But it tells us literally nothing about the offside.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Will wait for the video, but it all went very quickly, so I'd be surprised if McMillan was able to steal a couple of yards so fast.

We were indeed denied one of the most blatant penaltys you'd see all year. Given a free out, for which I still can't get my head around. Tuite gave the free from 20 yards away and the linesman didn't flag at all.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He's two yards behind the last man.

That's less than a second. Less again if the Harps defence were running out. Very easy done.

The photo shows literally nothing other than a good finish.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He's two yards behind the last man.

That's less than a second. Less again if the Harps defence were running out. Very easy done.

The photo shows literally nothing other than a good finish.
    I would tend to disagree. From the photo, there's a number of things:

1) It doesn't show a good finish. If you were to guess where the ball is going to go, you'd say it'll bounce off his shin and over the defence the wrong direction.

2) The linesman is a good 3 or 4 yards behind the last man and trying to catch up. He'd never have caught any offside in any case.

3) The position of Gartland suggests that people were running in, and not out.

4) Kilian Cantwell is well behind the rest of his defence and most likely the cause of an offside not given.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I would tend to disagree. From the photo, there's a number of things:

1) It doesn't show a good finish. If you were to guess where the ball is going to go, you'd say it'll bounce off his shin and over the defence the wrong direction.

2) The linesman is a good 3 or 4 yards behind the last man and trying to catch up. He'd never have caught any offside in any case.

3) The position of Gartland suggests that people were running in, and not out.

4) Kilian Cantwell is well behind the rest of his defence and most likely the cause of an offside not given.
    You can argue all these things and more but the simple fact is that this still photo proves nothing unless it includes McMillan and the player passing the ball at the moment the ball is passed.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    After all the compelling evidence and balanced observation from Nigel, I have revised my view to reflect the realisation
    that Harps were robbed and were fully deserving of a 3 goal victory

28. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast