Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin Russell gone from Limerick

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    How are people aware of budgets...Is it hearsay or something that is disclosed in licensing or what?
    There is the standard that you should finish in the league according to your budget. Do you think are there any inconsistencies in LOI to this?
    The standard should hold in a perfect market for instance but I suspect a set amount of money might put a better team on the field in Dublin for instance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    How are people aware of budgets...Is it hearsay or something that is disclosed in licensing or what?
    There is the standard that you should finish in the league according to your budget. Do you think are there any inconsistencies in LOI to this?
    The standard should hold in a perfect market for instance but I suspect a set amount of money might put a better team on the field in Dublin for instance.
    Nobody knows 100% but I think enough people close to clubs would have a tough idea. It's a small league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    We 100% have a bigger budget than Derry and Pats and are very close to the same if not above Bray. Obviously not anywhere near Cork and Dundalk but he had a very very good budget.
    Close to Bray but not anywhere near Cork or Dundalk? Are Cork and Dundalks wage bills really that high that they're totally eclipsing what Bray are spending out this year?!

(I have a folder in my house with every budget figure to the cent.)
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Is the problem closer to home then Limerick fans think? Maybe there's a problem with the running of the club. With the reported money spent and with the final squad going into the season personally I see Cork, Dundalk, Derry, Rovers and Bray a distance ahead of them in terms of squad quality. Going into the season with the squad Limerick have imo they squad be happy to get mid table. Then build on it and push on for Europe. Getting promoted then trying to push on budget wise for top four and with four three going down is quite risky especially if it doesn't start out well. I think Limerick will stay up but don't see them anywhere near the Europe places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Close to Bray but not anywhere near Cork or Dundalk? Are Cork and Dundalks wage bills really that high that they're totally eclipsing what Bray are spending out this year?!

Bray I actually have no idea about they might be blowing us out of the water too what I do know for sure is we have bigger budget than Pats,Harps,Galway,Bohs,Drogs,Derry and Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Is the problem closer to home then Limerick fans think? Maybe there's a problem with the running of the club. With the reported money spent and with the final squad going into the season personally I see Cork, Dundalk, Derry, Rovers and Bray are distance ahead of them in terms of squad quality. Going into the season with the squad Limerick have imo they squad be happy to get mid table. Then build on it and push on for Europe. Getting promoted then trying to push on budget wise for top four and with four three going down is quite risky especially if it doesn't start out well. I think Limerick will stay up but don't see anywhere near the Europe places.
    Nobody expected us to be pushing Europe this season we expected to be safe in mid-table and away from any kind of relegation battle something that me and a hell of a lot of others didn't think would happen if Russell stayed. The reason our squad isn't great is because when given a decent budget Martin Russell had no idea at all what to do with it and others ended up having to finish the squad when they realised that his humming and hawing was gonna send us straight back down. Don't get me wrong there are other problems at Limerick at times but Russells sacking is on one man and thats him. An awful manager.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Ya I would agree we probably have in around the 3rd or 4th highest budget in the league and wouldn't be surprised if it's actually barely lower than the three higher.

There was definitely an issue around signings which a few fans pointed out when we still had trialists a week before the season started.

Time to move on now though and hope we get the right man. I think we need someone who knows this league and what it takes to win. Not someone trying to mould a brand of football into a team because it looks good. People have whinged about Cork hoofing the ball a lot but they are the ones near the top most years and now look to be favourites. That's purely because they know how to win games. Solid defensively and punish teams in attack.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 05/04/2017 at 10:48 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Put the figures up for everybody to have a look at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Just in case anyone wasn't sure of this, I was definitely joking about a folder full of budgets. I don't think that even exists in the FAI sometimes.

I've been told figures from a couple of clubs, and heard from a couple of players about offers from other clubs, but exactly how much of it you can trust is the other side of that.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Just in case anyone wasn't sure of this, I was definitely joking about a folder full of budgets. I don't think that even exists in the FAI sometimes.

I've been told figures from a couple of clubs, and heard from a couple of players about offers from other clubs, but exactly how much of it you can trust is the other side of that.
    i doubt it even exists at some clubs!

And I don't know how much you can trust what you hear from players at all. I remember a story about Limerick FC - this was a good few years ago. They made player A an offer of a certain amount. Don't know what it was, lets say it was a round number like €500 a week. The player verbally agreed to sign. Then the club contacted player B, looking to sign them. Player B contacted player A (player B must have heard he'd agreed to play for Limerick) asking how much he was getting. Player A gave a figure of significantly higher than what he'd agreed to play for, lets say €800 (out of vanity? Or whatever reason). Player B gets back to the club and says he'll sign but he wants €800. Club says they aren't going to pay anybody that amount of money this season. Player B says that he was talking to Player A, and that's what Player A is getting. Clubs says he's not, player B is suspicious, they can't agree on a figure, so thanks but no thanks Player B, then the club calls Player A and tells them the deal is off too.

The moral of all this is that the word on the street is that Limerick are offering mad money for players.

11. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Anyone who believes a fecking word a player tells them about contracts would want their head examined.

In general, most footballers will tell fans either exactly what they want to hear of else whatever best protects their own position.

There are exceptions of course.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Ya I would agree we probably have in around the 3rd or 4th highest budget in the league and wouldn't be surprised if it's actually barely lower than the three higher.
    Wha?

Limerick's budget could be the 3rd highest in the league and it might also be barely lower than the top 3 budgets?

So it could be lower than it actual is?

No wonder Russell got the mutual agreement thingy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Anyone who believes a fecking word a player tells them about contracts would want their head examined.

In general, most footballers will tell fans either exactly what they want to hear of else whatever best protects their own position.

There are exceptions of course.
    The only thing certain is anyone that leaves my team has only done it cos the other team is paying him way more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Wha?

Limerick's budget could be the 3rd highest in the league and it might also be barely lower than the top 3 budgets?

So it could be lower than it actual is?

No wonder Russell got the mutual agreement thingy
    Yup. As in we are probably 4th and the three above us wouldn't be much more.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Do Limerick fans expect to get a "sacking bounce" now. Research seems to suggest that over longrun i.e. 3 months or more there is not one, teams/players regress to the mean. Usually bad luck, injuries and loss of form of players result in a managers sacking, so when this ends results improve. But if you change the playing squad substantially this is a different situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Is the problem closer to home then Limerick fans think? Maybe there's a problem with the running of the club. With the reported money spent and with the final squad going into the season personally I see Cork, Dundalk, Derry, Rovers and Bray a distance ahead of them in terms of squad quality. Going into the season with the squad Limerick have imo they squad be happy to get mid table. Then build on it and push on for Europe. Getting promoted then trying to push on budget wise for top four and with four three going down is quite risky especially if it doesn't start out well. I think Limerick will stay up but don't see them anywhere near the Europe places.
    Jayus some awful English by me here 😂😂 What's new 🙄😂

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I don't expect a 'sacking bounce'. I'm hoping for a 'Cut your cloth to your measure and stop being so tactically naive bounce'.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Too early to judge yet, but a clean sheet must be welcome by Limerick fans, in relation to "sacking bounce". Keep an eye on Sligo tonight. Robert Ried had a graph up that indicated Russell was only 1 point behind predicted/expectation. Harsh to rid rid on that basis, but Pat Doolan says there were fundamental differences between Russell and the owner over direction of the club. Also Doolan says that Pat O Sullivan is a great admirer of Stephen Bardley; could be an option soon?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    It's easy to conclude that Russell was treated harshly when you look at just the table: one win and we're fifth, only a couple of results from 3rd potentially. But the issue went beyond points and position, and into the same things going wrong over and over again. No way Russell was going to have Limerick in the top 6 by the end.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    And as previoulsy mentioned as the season went on fans could see the same issues would cause the same problems and have us in trouble. The position we are in at the moment for me is down to how poor the league seems to be this year. Outside of Cork, Dundalk and maybe Derry it's really hard to see much to worry about in any other teams and everyone can beat each other.

Losing/Drawing at home is an issue for us and regardless of change of manager if we keep dropping points at home crowds will dip drastically.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123