Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Russell gone from Limerick

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts

Martin Russell gone from Limerick

From an outsiders view it seems slightly harsh but from following a lot of Limerick folk on twitter a long time coming it seemed. Club have released a statement.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Statement that also contains Martin Russell's statement

Limerick Football Club and Martin Russell have today parted company by mutual consent. Chairman Pat O’Sullivan and Marin Russell have released the following statements:

“The board and Martin had a meeting this morning. Following a discussion we mutually agreed to go our separate ways. The board and Martin subsequently met the players to inform them of Martin’s departure.

All at Limerick FC wish to thank Martin for his tremendous contribution to the club’s development since joining in 2014, and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for his hard work and commitment throughout that time.

His role in winning the First Division last year in such spectacular fashion, as well as reaching the final of the EA Sports Cup, will not be forgotten and secures his place in our club’s history. He will always be warmly welcomed back to the Markets Field.” – Pat O’Sullivan."

“Following a meeting this morning the Club and I have mutually and amicably decided to part-company. I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to Pat O’Sullivan for the opportunity to have managed Limerick Football Club. I would also like to wish everyone at the club, players and staff, the very best for the future in driving the club forward to achieve their goals” – Martin Russell.

There will be no further comment until a new appointment is made.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Viewed him as a complete chancer to not that surprised. Disappointed though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Pat O'Sullivan is always animated, but that has changed to absolute fury this season. I sit near him in the stand, and he has been so angry (which everybody in the ground can hear).

Completely unprofessional behaviour on his part, but it shows his frustration with Russell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Perhaps Pat O'Sullivan should manage the team himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Not at all surprised. While their budget problems in 2015 left him with little chance to put in a good performance early in the season they were still a seriously flawed team during their late season surge. The defending in that Sligo game was disgraceful and they almost went straight down.

He didn't learn from that last season and despite having one of the best/most dominant First Division teams ever they were still poor at the back and continued to concede goals. This season same story. Very tame performance against us on Friday and if you hadn't seen the advertising from Limerick during the week you could be forgiven for not realising it was a derby game, at least based on the Limerick performance.

They will be better off without him. Wish him luck though, I'm sure hes a good person and a good coach, but football is unforgiving and you have to balance idealism with pragmatism, all the best teams/managers realise this. Dundalk get a lot of plaudits for their football over the past few seasons but that was based on a solid defensive base, with their current goalkeepign problems and Boyles loss you can see they are struggling to get their performances back up to scratch early in the season. Cork City under Rico at our flowing best had the best defense in the league. Very few teams win the league by simply outscoring their defensive problems. I'm not suggesting Limerick have or should have aspirations to do that, but you can't play the way Limerick have done and expect to achieve much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Perhaps Pat O'Sullivan should manage the team himself.
    Eamon Cregan for the job imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I have to say on what I saw of Limerick when we beat 1-0 in early March, I really thought they were nailed on for a top 5 finish. It was a really tough game, but their results and performances have nose dived since.

Still seems a wee bit harsh sacking him when series 1 is just over half way completed, but the terrible 0-3 home defeat on Friday wouldn't have helped him.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Only one man for the job.
    He'll sort out the egg chasers and the sliothar slashers.

http://www.the42.ie/8-brilliant-quot...55053-Jun2013/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Russell's win rate with Limerick is 30% in 54 premier league games. With 3 going down this season that's too tight a margin to risk

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Would Trevor Crolly be a good fit for Limerick.
    Sad to see Russell go and I hope he gets a position in the league soon, as it is poorer without him for sure.
    Apparently it was a no-show on Friday and while looking from outside it seems the squad quality is not great, folding in a big match like that is unacceptable this early in season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Would Trevor Crolly be a good fit for Limerick.
    Sad to see Russell go and I hope he gets a position in the league soon, as it is poorer without him for sure.
    Apparently it was a no-show on Friday and while looking from outside it seems the squad quality is not great, folding in a big match like that is unacceptable this early in season.
    No offence but how in the name of god is the league poorer without Martin Russell.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Sean Connor driving to Limerick as we speak.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Im hearing Bucko (gas craic) and Doolin (dear sweet lord!!!)

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Sean Connor driving to Limerick as we speak.

Don't be daft - he's banned from driving

Keepers Ball is driving him down

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I think having a manager in the LoI that encourages his players to pass/build from the back is a good thing. Russell has been a victim of the short-sighted decision to relegate 25% of the teams this year, and the false perception(in my view) that the first division don't matter/is a disaster to be in. He did good work with UCD.

Now for the case against him.
    I understand fully why Pat shacked him, especially if there was a lack of effort the other night. In the season predictions i think put Russell's Limerick 2nd bottom. Also I recall a game v Derry in Jackman Park 2 year back; midweek early season, where Limerick mixed excellent passing movements with plainly farcical defending especially by the goalkeeper. I felt for the owner that evening who was standing 20 yards away from me, and who was wondering aloud how a young man couldn't kick/clear a ball more than 10 yards. Limerick lost the game 2-1.
    So understandable decision, but in a better structured league there would be room for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I think having a manager in the LoI that encourages his players to pass/build from the back is a good thing. Russell has been a victim of the short-sighted decision to relegate 25% of the teams this year, and the false perception(in my view) that the first division don't matter/is a disaster to be in. He did good work with UCD.

Now for the case against him.
    I understand fully why Pat shacked him, especially if there was a lack of effort the other night. In the season predictions i think put Russell's Limerick 2nd bottom. Also I recall a game v Derry in Jackman Park 2 year back; midweek early season, where Limerick mixed excellent passing movements with plainly farcical defending especially by the goalkeeper. I felt for the owner that evening who was standing 20 yards away from me, and who was wondering aloud how a young man couldn't kick/clear a ball more than 10 yards. Limerick lost the game 2-1.
    So understandable decision, but in a better structured league there would be room for him.
    Russell encouraging passing from the back at all costs has been a huge problem it cost us goals last season and it cost us 3 already this season getting caught in possession he refused to change i know for a fact the chairman who usually sits 2 rows in front of me does be going absolutely nuts with that everyone can see what is going to happen.
    Corks first goal you'll see tonight on MNS when we got caught again passing it around the back pat o Sullivan absolutely lost it IMO that was moment he thought enough is enough happening every week Russell doesn't seem to change to fix it.
    Also imo our best midfielder Hery on the bench last two games another bizarre decision supporters in the stand were asking the chairman was he injured couldn't understand why he was dropped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    The problem with trying to play from the back is that it's difficult. As we've seen with Pats, you need good players and mistakes can be punished. It's far easier to be "pragmatic" and go for safety first. Bucko and Russell are cut from a similar cloth I think, though Liam has been far more successful. I for one hope we continue to play as Bucko wants, but having said that, there is a balance to be struck and if you are constantly leaking goals then something has to give.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fully agree Pay O'Sullivan vocal utterances in Bray last Saturday week were unacceptable.He singled out Turner for particular attention & his foul language is not what you expect from someone of his position. Russell's sacking was a knee jerk reaction & where to now. Was this planned and who is in line to succeed. Hardly an ideal situation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Seems an incredibly harsh decision and rash by the board. You do need to ask why not replace Russell at the end of last season when the new man had a full preseason.
    Hopefully for their sakes that they have a replacement lined up.
    BTW what are limerick fans expectations for this season. Is it maintaining their pd status? Top half finish or Europe in a top 3? In reality limerick are probably on target to stay in the pd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast