Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: National Underage Leagues and LOI underage

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobhlad View Post
    Rovers announce partnership with Corduff FC https://www.facebook.com/cordufffc/p...066767/?type=3
    Thats an interesting one. I wonder why corduff.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Corduff is probably the biggest club outside the traditional powerhouses and presumably were more open to a deal than those other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Corduff generally lose there better players to Kevins so I guess they would rather line themselves up with Rovers.
    Good move from rovers as well blanchardstown is huge and we might get some support from over there

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    would've thought Templeogue would have been the front runners but maybe theyre too close and having Corduff means bigger catchment area
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 27/04/2017 at 10:08 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Clubs aren't limited to one link-up - Pats have Crumlin and Belvedere afaik.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Using loopholes to get around having a proper academy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Using loopholes to get around having a proper academy.
    Rovers have teams from u8/9's up to u19's plus a younger kids academy, I'd call that a proper academy. This link up is just having first option on more players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Clubs aren't limited to one link-up - Pats have Crumlin and Belvedere afaik.
    Yeah true they could still link up with templeogue or there's a lot of very good schoolboy clubs around south west Dublin to potentially link with too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ideally all the local teams like Maelruans, Firhouse, Marks, Templeogue would all feed into Rovers and the same be the case for other clubs, but I suppose the way schoolboy football is so concentrated on certain teams it is bound to be a bit piecemeal like this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-35661812.html
    Robinson talking about the academy if anyone is interested.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    With the Kennedy Cup being on it got me wondering. Will players with LOI clubs be able to play in that when that age group gets going? Everyone I know that played in it in years gone by loved playing in it, it'd be a shame for kids to miss the opportunity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    With the Kennedy Cup being on it got me wondering. Will players with LOI clubs be able to play in that when that age group gets going? Everyone I know that played in it in years gone by loved playing in it, it'd be a shame for kids to miss the opportunity.
    That would be asking for trouble. It would just **** off juvenile leagues. Kids playing underage LOI are already playing at a high level. The Kennedy Cup gives kids not in that system a chance to measure themselves against others at that level. The cup format is born out of a necessity that doesn't exist with underage LOI.

I'm surprised at the amount of progress that has been made with implementing underage national leagues and the amount of apparent cooperation from the SFAI. There's no need to go out of our way to **** them off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Waterford recently announced a number of partnerships with junior clubs in the south of the country.

- Two Mile Boris/St. Kevin's FC http://www.waterfordfc.ie/twomileborrisclubpartnership/
    - Ferrybank http://www.waterfordfc.ie/ferrybankclubpartnership/
    - Clonmel Town http://www.waterfordfc.ie/clonmelclubpartnership/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I played in it as a kid. It was no better than any other underage tournament to me, like the Foyle cup or Milk cup etc.

I have to agree with gufcfan, the main reason why those tournaments are so important is because we never had a proper country-wide structure of the best kids consistently playing against the best kids each week, so the Kennedy cup was the closest we had. Now that we'll have the LOI underage leagues, the Kennedy cup should still go ahead, but it will become a chance for the best kids playing with regional league teams to be scouted by the LOI clubs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I played in it as a kid. It was no better than any other underage tournament to me, like the Foyle cup or Milk cup etc.

I have to agree with gufcfan, the main reason why those tournaments are so important is because we never had a proper country-wide structure of the best kids consistently playing against the best kids each week, so the Kennedy cup was the closest we had. Now that we'll have the LOI underage leagues, the Kennedy cup should still go ahead, but it will become a chance for the best kids playing with regional league teams to be scouted by the LOI clubs.
    Yeah I think that's why the lads I know enjoyed it so much because it was the best vs the best which I guess isn't an issue if you're already playing in the national league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Waterford recently announced a number of partnerships with junior clubs in the south of the country.

- Two Mile Boris/St. Kevin's FC http://www.waterfordfc.ie/twomileborrisclubpartnership/
    - Ferrybank http://www.waterfordfc.ie/ferrybankclubpartnership/
    - Clonmel Town http://www.waterfordfc.ie/clonmelclubpartnership/
    Another club added to the partnership today.
    - Thomastown United AFC http://www.waterfordfc.ie/thomastownclubpartnership/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Another club added to the partnership today.
    - Thomastown United AFC http://www.waterfordfc.ie/thomastownclubpartnership/
    Do you have an idea what criteria Waterford FC are using to go into partnership with certain Schoolboy clubs in the South East. I wonder do these Schoolboy clubs have big representations with their counties in the Kennedy Cup. I assume the many clubs that haven't been selected for partnership can still recommend players directly to Waterford Fc if they think they have potential to play at LOI U15 level?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    The idea of LOI clubs doing deals with specific juvenile clubs doesn't sit well with me. This is just perpetuating one of the problems with Irish football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    The idea of LOI clubs doing deals with specific juvenile clubs doesn't sit well with me. This is just perpetuating one of the problems with Irish football.
    As far as i know most of the deals are only 3-5 year deals so maybe the thinking is get the trusted method on board for the teething process then when its proven to work go out on your own. Also some deals with clubs vary a lot, you get the range of bray and joeys basically merging to some clubs just doing training sessions together and playing friendly's so the LOI teams get their foot in the door in the players minds so they trust them to go there instead of other LOI clubs or England.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I think it's necessary, at least for a short while. LOI clubs have never been in the minds of our best young players so the LOI clubs need to make these mergers to start getting their face out there and into the consciousness of the most talented kids in the country

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast