Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Iceland - Tuesday, 28th March 2017 - Friendly 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not sure what MON is supposed to do about it tbh. He can make more players, but it'll be 18 years before that impacts the senior team.
    Robbie Keane debuted at 17 so possibly even sooner. Cannot fault MON so far but sometimes I wonder just how much effort is really going on behind the scenes to get someone on board. Maybe we need to put an add on the paper. Strikers to apply.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Too bad Sean McGinty and Liam McAlinden have not seemed to come up the pike. Both at least 6' tall and both only 23.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not sure what MON is supposed to do about it tbh. He can make more players, but it'll be 18 years before that impacts the senior team.
    the MON Stud Farm has a nice ring to it.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    30 and two 34 years old SkStu.
    Walters is only 33 dammit! Stop adding years. (same birthday as me but I've retired)

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The only bright moment in the game really was when O'Dowda went on a forward run, it kind of work up an understandably sleepy crowd.
    He is at Bristol City, not sure if he is pullling up trees there though.

O'Kane started that move with a firm pass, later he made one which was rather too firm, although maybe O Dowda could have got on the end of it
    if he anticpated it.

Seems pointless paying crossing into the box when our strikers are too short to have a chance of getting on the end of anything, which indeed the didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    So it is perhaps interesting that perhap for the first time in the hsotory of Irish football we dominated posession.

Needlessly to say we lost.

Hence the lesson is if you are crap at football don't try to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I just realised the weird think about O'Kane is he passes the ball forward!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    He makes forward passes all the time, sometimes he gets slapped for them!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    The strikers issue is a problem. The consensus seems to be that Doyle should have been named in his last squad, but who on earth should we be picking in his place? Maybe time to try setting up cups of coffee with Patrick Bamford, Will Keane and Scott Hogan again!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    we have Long, Walters and Murphy to be fair - theres goals in that trio. And some other options (Pilkington, Sheridan spring to mind) available at senior and youth levels. I don't quite think we are as desperate as being made out. The issue is around creativity and the absence of creative spark in the middle three when we are down Hoolohan. Brady may grow into such a role for us. I don't think it is alarm bells quite yet.
    30 and two 34 years old SkStu. We are in trouble very soon if MON doesn't solve it.
    Just thought I'd weigh in on the striker issue - while there is certainly cause for concern, with three main strikers unlikely to play through the next qualifying campaign, there have been some recent developments that have given cause for some optimism for the future. Admittedly we had high hopes that the likes of Mikey Drennan, Terry Dixon, Sean Maguire and Aiden O'Brien would make the breakthrough but right now we have about close to a dozen options worth looking at over the next couple of years, and that's assuming neither Hogan nor Jutkiewicz comes on board:

- Firstly we should look at options who will definitely be available for the next campaign and while the names David McGoldrick, Adam Rooney and Cillian Sheridan don't set the pulse racing, they are all decent, experienced strikers capable of scoring goals and Rooney in particular would be handy to have in the event of a penalty shoot-out
    - Will Keane expressed a strong desire to be picked just before a long-term injury interrupted his efforts to establish himself at Hull - his progress next season should be monitored
    - 19-year-old Gerry McDonagh got a few goals earlier this season on loan for Wrexham and got his first league goal on loan at Cambridge - he also has a decent scoring record at underage level at his parent club, Nottingham Forest. He will hopefully be playing at a higher level within the next couple of seasons
    - We have two underage forwards at Everton - Courtney Duffus and Sam Byrne. Hopefully they can get decent loan moves next season and give us a chance to evaluate their chances
    - Reece Grego-Cox seemed to have slipped off the radar a little, with a so-so loan period at Newport, where he failed to register a goal and picked up an injury. However he then returned to QPR and promptly scored five goals in two games for their U-23s
    - After a period where his career seemed to be going nowhere, Sean Maguire's outstanding scoring record at Cork City will hopefully lead him following Horgan, Boyle, Forrester and Towell in getting a shot in England
    - Ronan Hale had an excellent scoring record for Birmingham's U-18s and has moved up to their U-23s
    - I guess the young striker we're watching most closely is probably Glen McAuley with sixteen goals for Liverpool's U-18s this season (plus one for the National U-17s in the elite round recently)
    - However the goalscoring star of qualifying for the U-17s is surely Aaron Connolly, with seven goals in six games (some of them crackers). On top of that he's got three in his first two games for Brighton's U23s
    - Our other two strikers in the U-17s, Rowan Roache and Adam Idah, both look useful: Roache has already featured for Blackpool's first team; Idah, who only turned 16 a few weeks ago, got four goals in the qualifying campaign and will surely be moving on from College Corinthians soon, especially if he impresses in the finals.
    - Two young lads in Southampton's U-18s, Jonathan Afolabi and Michael Obafemi, seem to be doing well, with Afolabi already after scoring for their U-23s

Of course it's possible that none of these lads will make the breakthrough to high-level professional football but with this number coming through it's also possible that five or six will make it and that by the time the qualifiers for Euro 2024 (or even World Cup 2022) roll around, we'll be saying "whatever happened to that striker crisis we were all so worried about?".

That is, if our forays into AI haven't led to the Machines taking over by then

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Another problem we have is how uncreative we are without someone like Hoolahan. Even worse is that people seem to forget that he will be 36 by the time we/if we qualify for the World Cup. We need someone coming through there too.
    I think we need to get away from the view that we can only be creative with hoolahan in the team. its the mindset of the management and by extension the players that we need to change. we need to risk a little more in the oppositions half and be less inclined to go long all the time. its just too predictable. we were creative against both france and Italy in the euros when hoolahan didn't start so why not again?

the north don't have more creative players than us on paper but play much better football from what I have seen

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Just thought I'd weigh in on the striker issue - while there is certainly cause for concern, with three main strikers unlikely to play through the next qualifying campaign, there have been some recent developments that have given cause for some optimism for the future. Admittedly we had high hopes that the likes of Mikey Drennan, Terry Dixon, Sean Maguire and Aiden O'Brien would make the breakthrough but right now we have about close to a dozen options worth looking at over the next couple of years, and that's assuming neither Hogan nor Jutkiewicz comes on board...
    Preston's Callum Robinson is another striker whose eligibility has been confirmed. Whether or not he'd be keen to make a switch from the FA to the FAI is another matter, but there's a possibility there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    On Westwood, I was watching him needless to say behind the goal. He had the wall organised but then it was moved back about 3 yards to the line the ref had drawn and he shouted a few instructions but no one listened and he gave up. They did move a taller player to the middle of the wall and a smaller one to the left I think. Much and all as I hate to admit it, he was flatfooted when it nestled in the net. I was surprised he didn't save it. On the positive side his distribution was better than Randolph and he fed the ball out to the full backs far more often than Randolph.

As to the game itself, we had a team which never played together before so I am neither shocked at the result nor at the performance. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd.

What did we learn, if we can learn anything from one game:

- (a) McGeady, who many wanted to start against Wales, is still the McGeady we love and who frustrates us. The standard in the Championship is dire (trust me) and a series of good games for Preston does not mean he is a new man. That said, he is one of the few Irish players who get us on our feet, only to sit down again. I still think he can produce that bit of magic so worth a squad place.
    - (b) Hourihane - very reluctant to judge him on one game but did not have a great game and always took the easy option. Maybe with more experience, more confidence will come. Possible blame in the goal. Worth a squad place.
    - (c) Doyle: it told us that he is not the player he once was and alas that injury he got playing for us really knocked him back. Not worth a squad place.
    + (d) Horgan put in some excellent crosses but with no natural striker they were wasted.
    + (e) Continued tactic of pretending to take a short corner which draws two defenders away for our one man. Surprised everyone doesn't do this.
    - (f) A lot of people were attending an international for the first time. You can imagine their thoughts on what they saw.
    + (g) Austria only drew at home to Finland. No world beaters either.
    - (h) McLean was ineffective in the role given to him. + You have to admire his energy and determination.
    - (i) Looks like we have to rely on a 34 year old playing in the second tier of English football for our inspiration and whom the management were originally ambivalent about.
    - (j) What has happened to the Jeff Hendrick of the Euros ?

+++ We're joint top of the group with our main competitors still to come to us. We need to practice big time on set pieces because with the retirement of Robbie chances from open play will be at a premium.
    Great post. Just in relation to Westwood, I don't think there's any question but he was caught flat footed. I guess the two sides of the debate are whether or not Hourihane ducking exempts him from blame, for being caught flat footed, or whether he should have still recovered to make the save in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, I agree that KW himself felt he could have done better. I saw it in his body language too. He started going the right way but just stopped - but maybe in anticipation of a deflection. Had he continued he'd have made a decent save.
    Well I think he knew if he continued the way he was going he would have saved it, so there's going to be an obvious frustration with himself. That's not to say when he watched it back later he wouldn't have be more annoyed with Hourihane than himself. I certainly would have been.

I agree about the nitpicking though. We're in a decent position with goalkeepers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Great post. Just in relation to Westwood, I don't think there's any question but he was caught flat footed. I guess the two sides of the debate are whether or not Hourihane ducking exempts him from blame, for being caught flat footed, or whether he should have still recovered to make the save in any case.
    Was Westwood definitely caught flat-footed? I'm not sure. He's on the move across the goal right from the moment Magnússon kicks the ball.

Westwood just doesn't complete his dive for some reason. Maybe, as Stutts said above, he was anticipating a possible deflection and so didn't commit to a dive as a result. That's not necessarily to say he'd have managed to save it anyway had he dived. It all happened very quickly.

Incidentally, does Westwood bless himself just as Magnússon begins his run-up?

I still think Hourihane staying grounded and ducking his head out of the way is unforgivable. In my opinion, he must accept primary responsibility for the concession of the goal. The free-kick was hit low and ended up in the far corner from where Westwood had positioned himself; that was the side of the goal that was supposed to have been covered by the wall whilst Westwood was covering the other side. If the ball goes over a jumping wall and in, I don't think anyone would be holding anyone to blame; we'd just acknowledge it was a perfectly-placed free-kick that gave the keeper no chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think he stops because he can't see the flight of the ball until it's past the wall, therefore instinctively expecting it to hit the wall, as it should have. If Magnusson had got the trajectory he wanted it would have been visible to Westwood earlier and he probably would have got across to save it, as he wouldn't have paused and it wasn't very powerfully struck. When I say he was flat-footed, I mean once he stops he's unable to recover his momentum to get across. We really need to get to the bottom of this.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    How on earth can Westwood be given any blame for the Iceland goal?? The goal came because of Egan's silly foul and then all because Hourihane and Hendrick were too lazy to jump off the ground to stop the ball. Their failure to jump meant that Magnusson stuck the ball right in the corner. What goalkeeper was going to save that?
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 30/03/2017 at 1:27 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    How on earth can Westwood be given any blame for the Iceland goal?? The goal came because of Egan's silly foul and then all because Hourihane and Hendrick were too lazy to jump off the ground to stop the ball. Their failure to jump meant that Magnusson stuck the ball right in the corner. What goalkeeper was going to save that?
    The ridiculous over analysis is the problem. It was a good goal. Hourihane and Hendrick don't have to jump, sometimes you gamble they are going to hit it under the wall. Free kick in a dangerous position, they scored. End of story.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What goalkeeper was going to save that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I am glad Randolph agrees with me because he wouldn't have saved it either.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 30/03/2017 at 1:57 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    As the commentator said, it was a brilliant strike by the kid.
    The first comment under that You Tube video that Danny posted Ireland vs Iceland 0-1 ALL GOALS & HIGHLIGHTS,
    "Highlights? how can an Irish offside be a highlight?"
    As funny as that sounds to some ears, that should be the matter of concern from that game.

That was the only alleged Irish highlight
    However, it wasn't even an Irish highlight, it was a highlight of good defending
    Last edited by geysir; 30/03/2017 at 3:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast