Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures 10/11 & 13th March 2017

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Davy O'Sullivan with an El Clasico hat trick tonight. What a man, LTFC legend.
    The man needs a statue outside the ground

2. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Agree with most comments above, Limerick are a decent side and moved the ball around very confidently in the first half. Dlk prob should have gone in front after 1 min but Limerick caused our defence plenty of problems in the first 45 and in the absence of O'Donnell, Shields & Mountney we were second best in the midfield for periods. It was a superb goal from McEleney, worth waiting for in Soccer Rep, but overall Limerick will be disappointed not to have taken something from the match based on their first half display.

If they continue putting in displays like tonight, there should be no reason why they can't challenge the top 4.

It certainly wasn't a vintage Dundalk display, but we'll take the 3 points. Extremely happy to get them.

Edit. Forgot to say Shane Duggan no 8 for Limerick had a good game, I was impressed by him, one of the lads at the match wad saying his dad Ger was a great player for them in the early 80's. I remember the name ok.
    Very good assessment of the game. Very even game, separated by a wonder strike from McEleney. Dundalk certainly aren't the team they were last season, but only Cork might stop them from a 4 in a row.

Very happy with how Limerick played, although we did struggle to create any clear cut chances. Top half is the minimum expected now. Also to back up the previous comment, Tommy Robson at left back is a serious player for Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    Happy with the performance last night of de blues. Thought Lee Jay, Duggan had good games but the stand out was Tommy Robson. My player of the year already. Great strike for the goal, but how in gods name did Harvey not give us a penalty in the first half?
    Our fitness has much improved on last season but its how we play against more agricultural teams in the coming weeks will define our season
    Myself and a few of the lads around me were checking the program to see who he was. Looks a fantastic player.

Looked a stonewall penalty to me but a mate behind the goal said it wasn't I suppose we'll find out on Monday night. Dundalk also had what looked a definite penalty turned down in second half so they evened out I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Dundalk also had what looked a definite penalty turned down in second half so they evened out I suppose.
    I must have missed that. What was the incident?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Tommy Robson is on loan from Sunderland. Was captain of their youths and got a start last season against watford in the premier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I think Dundalk fans are actually being a bit generous to us. We had a lot of the ball in the first half alright, but only across our back 4, and Dundalk were happy with that because when we tried to get it forward we'd lose it every time. We were desperately looking for space between Dundalk's lines, not in front of them, and that was how Clarke got dispossessed for the goal. Cracking strike too.

Still, we were still in it until the last kick, and had Dundalk under serious pressure at times, but never managed to fashion even on real goal-scoring opportunity. We did have a great shout for a penalty in the first half too after Tosi looked like he was bundled over going for a cross.

Lots of positives for us to take from the game, and away games to Dundalk won't be the ones that our season is judged on.
    Maybe on reflection, Limerick did have the ball down and passed it only at the back. They still did well.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Maybe on reflection, Limerick did have the ball down and passed it only at the back. They still did well.
    They passed it well in the middle third as well. It is the last third where they struggle.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    The man needs a statue outside the ground
    thats the first ever man to have scored in an el Classico derby! here here!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    thats the first ever man to have scored in an el Classico derby! here here!!
    All the rest been scoreless draws?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Let's just assume he meant to say first hat-trick, in that case it looks like they'll be erecting a statue to Athlone Town's Brian Duff so. 15/09/85. That's nice of them.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Brian Duff, now that's a blast from the past. I met him at a Dundalk event pre match last season, nice fella. He won fai cup with us in 1981, good service to Athlone too. Hardly anyone on here will remember but he was with another ex Dundalk player & that guy did something I think that has not been repeated since in a modern times fai cup final.

His name was John Archbald, older Dlk will know, good quiz question. 1981 cup final. Dlk v Sligo. Anyone ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Brian Duff, now that's a blast from the past. I met him at a Dundalk event pre match last season, nice fella. He won fai cup with us in 1981, good service to Athlone too. Hardly anyone on here will remember but he was with another ex Dundalk player & that guy did something I think that has not been repeated since in a modern times fai cup final.

His name was John Archbald, older Dlk will know, good quiz question. 1981 cup final. Dlk v Sligo. Anyone ?
    Hazy memory but did he score direct from a corner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    He did indeed, first goal that day, Mick Fairclough with the second. Funny thing, Archbald told me he knew with the wind that day he had a good chance of scoring direct.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    A blast from the past indeed, I remember him scoring twice for Galway(and gave a brilliant individual performance) in an exciting 3-2 win over Bohemians at Terryland. Don't remember how long Duff stayed at Galway for, maybe just the one season. A very good player, was at Liverpool in his younger days of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

Think he played with us also or was it his brother?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    Let's just assume he meant to say first hat-trick, in that case it looks like they'll be erecting a statue to Athlone Town's Brian Duff so. 15/09/85. That's nice of them.
    Yeah correct! Is that only the second time that there is a hat-trick in an el classic derby for the midlands?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I see Shelbourne got a last minute equaliser v Cobh yesterday. Good result for them away from home. Anybody go down to see that ? Anyone know why it was an afternoon kick off?
    ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Yeah correct! Is that only the second time that there is a hat-trick in an el classic derby for the midlands?
    Sounds like it, Duff's was the only one on our side at least.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    I see Shelbourne got a last minute equaliser v Cobh yesterday. Good result for them away from home. Anybody go down to see that ? Anyone know why it was an afternoon kick off?
    Was there ya shocking game no real goal chances apart from one early for shels. Goal they scored was very lucky deflected cross wrong footed cobh keeper and lobbed him. Theres something wrong with the floodlights im told thats why the game was on at 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    How did Sligo Pats play out? A game i'd have expected Pats to sneak a win. Tough start to the season for both

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast