Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCU Masters Project Idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

DCU Masters Project Idea

For my major project/dissertation from my masters in DCU, I have decided to focus on the Soccer Culture In Ireland .

I think this would make a fascinating feature.

I would like to answer questions such as why do thousands and thousands of Irish people flock off in their droves to England every weekend, when there is a League in Ireland which they could support.

Another thing that I could do is see how you once got 30,000-40,000 + going to games in the 60s and 70s, yet games now in 2017 only get 3,000- 4,000 at most, very often less in the case of many clubs.

I want to have a look at when an Irish consortium tried to bring Wimbledon and Premiership soccer to Ireland in the 1990s.

Basically, I also could ask the question, how and why have attendance figures at games dropped so drastically over time.

Finally for now, I could look at the future marketing and promotion of the League Of Ireland as a whole.

The Irish Supporters Network are an organisation I have been in touch with already in that regard.

Their main objectives include promoting the benefits and importance of Ireland's national soccer league.

The Irish Supporters Network have an event on in March , which I will be attending to make initial contact with some of the different League Of Ireland clubs and their supporters.

A link to the event is here:

[COLOR=#1155cc]http://irishsupportersnetwork.[/COLOR]ie/index.php/2017/02/23/towards-a-sustainable-league-event/

These are just very rough ideas. But based on my reading and research done so far, I think this could work and there are some brilliant areas to discuss.

So, I was just wondering if you would have any ideas for who I could take to on any of the above, or also if have any suggestions for areas I could cover on this topic not mentioned above ?

Or also in relation to the above, is there any people who you would think would be good interviewees ?
    Last edited by sheao; 08/03/2017 at 9:43 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Yep why its called soccer outside of Dublin AFAIK, growing up in Dublin we played football and or GAA, soccer as far as i knew was the american word for football. lo and behold move 28 miles down the Naas road and football is GAA and soccer is football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    You'll find "soccer" (and sometimes "Socker") in Irish newspapers as far back as 1901.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Never will be soccer as far as I'm concerned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Always been soccer for me. I never understand the knicker twisting over this.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    There's a lot of stuff there to cover. Too much I'd say, and I think there are elements that aren't really connected to each other.

I imagine you have some central research question or connected questions - what are they?

One that would cover most of what you've written is 'What has been the impact of British football on the League of Ireland?' but even that is a massive, unwieldy topic.
    Last edited by osarusan; 09/03/2017 at 9:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Soccer of football is just personal preference. I don't think there's anything more to it. I find myself saying soccer from time to time, and like Bonnie, don't get why people get so wound up over it.

People flock to England and Scotland down to it being historically embedded in Irish footballing society. People won't support football here until we've regular Champions League and Europa League entrants, bigger more fancy stadia, more widespread marketing, more exotic squad lists and recognisable faces from world football....and really, every club to win the Euromillions.

Attendance figures dropped as a result of the Sky Sports phenomenon. Nothing can compete with a marketing machine like it. The standard of the league dropped dramatically over a twenty year period through the 80's and 90's here too, and didn't grow with the rest of the European game. As Sky leagues grew, the Irish game was hindered. Football was available at the touch of a button on your television. The switch to Friday nights from Sunday afternoons hit young families, and a drastic change that didn't work. English football is full of young families attending. It's harder to take a young child to a game in Ireland kicking off at 8pm when they'd normally be getting ready for bed.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    There are numerous reasons why irish ppl support the PL instead of our own league, but I’ll try to briefly cover what I believe to be the main issues:

Style of Irish sporting fandom:
    Irish ppl are (and have always been) event junkies when it comes to sport. This is probably due to the influence of GAA fandom. GAA teams only have a handful of really big matches each year, so most supporters only go to see their team a handful of times a year. That’s always the way it’s been. This culture has been deeply ingrained for well over a century and influences how most Irish ppl follow most other sports too. Basically, most ppl don’t like the slog of a long season, with a lot of humdrum fixtures. We’d rather just go to a few important, glamorous, high-profile games each year. This trend is probably true in most countries but it’s definitely exaggerated in Ireland, compared to Britain, Germany or Spain for eg, where football/soccer has always been the main sport and following your team through a lengthy season was the natural way to support them.

Media exposure:
    As media exposure (especially television coverage) of British football teams increased in Ireland from the 60s/70s onwards, this coincided with a decline in the popularity of our own league. Ppl were drawn to the glory and glamour of successful British teams, which they hadn’t much exposure to previously. British teams were invariably richer and better than Irish teams so once Irish ppl had exposure to these British teams through the media they quickly made allegiances to a British side, at the expense of their local LOI side. Understandably, most ppl want to be associated with a team that is successful and glamorous so naturally most Irish football fans latched onto Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Arsenal, Leeds etc. This pattern still rings true to this day, as seen by the boom in Irish kids supporting Chelsea and Man City since they became majorly successful.
    It’s a vicious cycle. The more irish ppl are attracted to British football the more they are likely to support it financially, and the less likely they are to support our own league, so it inevitably falls further behind, mainly due to lack of funding. Nowadays, our league is so far behind the British league in terms of stadia, infrastructure, marketing, media exposure, etc, it’s unlikely we’ll ever get back to anything like the popularity that LOI soccer had back in its hay-day.
    In fact, we’ve come to a point now where the PL monster has brainwashed so many irish ppl that LOI supporters are looked upon as strange, if not downright ridiculed. I don’t think that Irish football fans hate the LOI though. I think deep down most of them realise that by following a foreign team (mostly through a Tv screen) they’re not experiencing true football fandom. But for a football supporter to give up following the PL so much and focus on the LOI requires a painful realisation that you’ve been wrongly supporting a foreign team for years , if not decades. Most ppl are too proud to admit this to themselves this so it’s easier to just stay on the hype train and ignore the struggling LOI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Soccer of football is just personal preference. I don't think there's anything more to it. I find myself saying soccer from time to time, and like Bonnie, don't get why people get so wound up over it.

People flock to England and Scotland down to it being historically embedded in Irish footballing society. People won't support football here until we've regular Champions League and Europa League entrants, bigger more fancy stadia, more widespread marketing, more exotic squad lists and recognisable faces from world football....and really, every club to win the Euromillions.

Attendance figures dropped as a result of the Sky Sports phenomenon. Nothing can compete with a marketing machine like it. The standard of the league dropped dramatically over a twenty year period through the 80's and 90's here too, and didn't grow with the rest of the European game. As Sky leagues grew, the Irish game was hindered. Football was available at the touch of a button on your television. The switch to Friday nights from Sunday afternoons hit young families, and a drastic change that didn't work. English football is full of young families attending. It's harder to take a young child to a game in Ireland kicking off at 8pm when they'd normally be getting ready for bed.
    The word 'soccer' has been used to describe the game almost since the game itself began in md-to-late 19th century England. It's an abbreviation of 'association', and was used alongside (and presumably modelled on) the abbreviation of rugby = 'rugger'.

It's somehow since then morphed into a word that is seen as wet and American - chiefly in England, which is where the word was ironically invented and first used. Wouldn't be a bad thing if it as reclaimed as just a normal word to describe the game. There are at least 6 different codes of 'football' around the world.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Irish ppl are (and have always been) event junkies when it comes to sport.
    I'm not sure this is true to be honest. Why was the LOI attracting large crowds to terrible grounds right up to the 1960s ?

As clichéd as it sounds, I think it's hard to separate out how Irish football treat their own league from other facets of our post-colonial mindset. It's the same way that up until U2 no Irish band could really make it outside Ireland without leaving Ireland. There is a sub-conscious belief in Ireland that we're actually not that good really, and that anything in and from Ireland is probably a bit more crap than things from other places are. Hence footballers, actors, musicians etc generally have to make it outside of Ireland for a lot of Irish people to take any notice of them (and then bullsh!t to everyone that they were into them when no-one else was). We need that outside validation before we'll believe that something from Ireland is good.

The Irish have the sort of sub-conscious confidence problem that a lot of countries that were colonies have, and which you don't find amongst other small countries like the Swedish or the Swiss. Thinking out own football clubs and league are crap and that the shiny version in England/Scotland is more worthy of our attention is just a symptom of that. Along with the wall-to-wall presence of English TV shows on Irish TV (particularly TV3), the relatively large sales English newspapers have in Ireland etc etc. Since English football became pumped into our homes regularly via TV from the late 1960s onwards, it's just led us to believe that our own version is inferior. Because, being Irish, it must be.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 13/03/2017 at 2:35 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The grounds weren't terrible in the 60's though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Sheao,

What's your discipline? Marketing, sports management, sociology...? Have you given any thought to your methodology? I know you've mentioned interviewees but there are many more ways of approaching this kind of research. I think you're going to have to narrow down your inquiry into something more manageable: you're covering a lot of ground there and I guess you have at most 20,000 words to do it in (minus about 7,500 for the intro, lit review and methodology chapters, so in practical terms something less than 10,000 for your original findings and analysis). There's great potential for some really valuable (and publishable) research if you can get a handle on it early doors. Hopefully you have a good supervisor you get on well with.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Technically true. It was just the whole Country was a terrible kip, so the stadia seemed fine in comparison.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Wishing you good luck with your project, and agree with above that there is potential for very interesting research. Is there any figures for how many 30,000 - 40,000 crowds there were during the golden age of the LoI and which stadiums accommodated these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Wishing you good luck with your project, and agree with above that there is potential for very interesting research. Is there any figures for how many 30,000 - 40,000 crowds there were during the golden age of the LoI and which stadiums accommodated these.
    30,000-40,000 is a gross over-exaggeration. Crowds were more like 15,000 around the grounds.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I'm not sure this is true to be honest. Why was the LOI attracting large crowds to terrible grounds right up to the 1960s ?

As clichéd as it sounds, I think it's hard to separate out how Irish football treat their own league from other facets of our post-colonial mindset. It's the same way that up until U2 no Irish band could really make it outside Ireland without leaving Ireland. There is a sub-conscious belief in Ireland that we're actually not that good really, and that anything in and from Ireland is probably a bit more crap than things from other places are. Hence footballers, actors, musicians etc generally have to make it outside of Ireland for a lot of Irish people to take any notice of them (and then bullsh!t to everyone that they were into them when no-one else was). We need that outside validation before we'll believe that something from Ireland is good.

The Irish have the sort of sub-conscious confidence problem that a lot of countries that were colonies have, and which you don't find amongst other small countries like the Swedish or the Swiss. Thinking out own football clubs and league are crap and that the shiny version in England/Scotland is more worthy of our attention is just a symptom of that. Along with the wall-to-wall presence of English TV shows on Irish TV (particularly TV3), the relatively large sales English newspapers have in Ireland etc etc. Since English football became pumped into our homes regularly via TV from the late 1960s onwards, it's just led us to believe that our own version is inferior. Because, being Irish, it must be.
    Ah here you can't compare the Ireland of the 60s to now.

There was literally nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon in the 60s there was no football on tv hell there was barely tv!

Honestly think it is the event junkie culture that means we will never have large attendances consistently over a 33 game season.

If there are end of season title and relegation playoffs I think they would be very well attended but over 33/36 games? No chance I'm afraid 😳

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Why was the LOI attracting large crowds to terrible grounds right up to the 1960s ?

Excellent point about our post-colonial mindset. I hadn't considered that, but it's definitely a big factor. It's important to note though that that could only take effect once the country had widespread access to British football, which mainly happened through the television boom from the late 60s onwards.

I do still think our "event junkie" mindset plays a part too. Barely 20k showed up to Lansdowne to see us play Georgia (in an important qualifier) a few yrs ago, yet half the lads in the country went to Poland/France for the sesh.

What a great, academic thread this is btw, love it!

Also, have we reliable attendances from the 60s? i can't imagine every team was getting anywhere near 30-40k. Would love to see the average league wide attendance from this time period.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    They were in the 70s though (and onwards), and was part of why most of the expensively paid aging English stars of the time didn't stick around for long.

Once the crowds went down, their was less money or incentive to maintain or improve them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Excellent point about our post-colonial mindset. I hadn't considered that, but it's definitely a big factor. It's important to note though that that could only take effect once the country had widespread access to British football, which mainly happened through the television boom from the late 60s onwards.

I do still think our "event junkie" mindset plays a part too. Barely 20k showed up to Lansdowne to see us play Georgia (in an important qualifier) a few yrs ago, yet half the lads in the country went to Poland/France for the sesh.

What a great, academic thread this is btw, love it!

Also, have we reliable attendances from the 60s? i can't imagine every team was getting anywhere near 30-40k. Would love to see the average league wide attendance from this time period.
    But WHY are the Irish event junkies ? Just because ?!

Or is it another expression of a national lack of self-confidence - whereby we ignore anything until it's proven to be good (usually through external validation) and then we all charge towards it en masse banging on about how great it is.

Like a good doctor would, I'd encourage you to dig deep to try to unearth the causes of phenomena, not just accept what could be a symptom as the cause itself.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The rugby provinces show that it is possible to build up a decent following across league games. Ulster had 16483 for their game against Zebre last weekend for example, and Connacht built crowds impressively even while they were still pretty rubbish.

It's not easy, and certainly a complex issue, but the event junkie thing can be overcome. Just keep making small improvements to the product, make people feel part of it and valued and slowly but surely we can build it up.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast