Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LIttle things that annoy you about the league.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Famous Fried Chicken League was there during the 80's I think? Newstalk were sponsors for a year too between Airtricity and Eircom I believe.
    There was no main title sponsor that year (09); Newstalk, Irish Daily Star and eircom were "partners".
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Newstalk def not sponsors, ATFC correct on that, only partners. I remember the name ok, and it was definitely late 90's possibly only for one season, but the name was 'the Harp Lager FAI National League'

Without google here is a stab from memory of previous sponsors.

Earliest I can recall was from 1976 - Bass League of Ireland, only remember that from seeing old Dundalk programmes as we won the league that season, not sure how long the sponsor ran for.

Early 80's KFC, then later Pat Grace came on board, then Opel picked it up from around 1985/86, most will recall Board Gais, from early 90's ran for a fair while, well up to 96, Harp maybe one year, then Eircom for possibly 10, then Airtricity, now for SSE Airtricity.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Famous Fried Chicken League was there during the 80's I think?
    First title sponsors that I remember? In the mid 80s.
    There was also Harp Lager (certainly a First Division sponsor anyway) from 96 to 99, when Eircom came on board; and Opel, on top of others mentioned

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Famous Fried Chicken League was there during the 80's I think? Newstalk were sponsors for a year too between Airtricity and Eircom I believe.

On that note, I actually think the First Division should have a separate title sponsor and sponsorship money to boost it a little bit.
    Thank you for making people on the train stare at me as I laughed out loud at the fried chicken league ..... then I realised you are serious ... I don't know which is funnier 😂😂😂😂😂 brilliant , we have a great league no doubt about that - certainly no bland yellow pack standard league offering here I love it, just love it.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Cork: Top Quality Away End
    Haven't been in a while but have the toilet facilities in the away end been improved? The last time I was there the cubicles were filthy and the urinals were basically open for everyone to see you taking a ****. The urinals were also covered in rubbish.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Haven't been in a while but have the toilet facilities in the away end been improved? The last time I was there the cubicles were filthy and the urinals were basically open for everyone to see you taking a ****. The urinals were also covered in rubbish.
    The smell in those urinals were so bad the last time I was there I had to **** outside them, genuinely nearly threw up with the smell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    This thread is just turning into the usual moanfest.
    SMH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I stupidly brought my daughter to a game in Turners Cross. Never again, the toilets were disgusting.

Not any more disgusting than 90% of the grounds I visit, but at least fans of those clubs don't have the cheek to brag about their ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    This thread is just turning into the usual moanfest.
    SMH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I stupidly brought my daughter to a game in Turners Cross. Never again, the toilets were disgusting.

Not any more disgusting than 90% of the grounds I visit, but at least fans of those clubs don't have the cheek to brag about their ground.
    again little things that would not cost an arm and a leg. how hard would it be to keep the toilets in decent order? you have a whole week between matchdays for someone to do it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Back on topic - the Irish Times coverage. First day of the season, their major piece was on Bohs financial difficulties. The actual reports of the games were almost like an afterthought - and they didn't send a photographer to any of the games. Don' think they bothered sending anyone to cover Dundalk's away matches in Europa League either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The away end in Turners Cross is the worst in the league. No one has ever seen a goal scored into the Joe Delaney stand from the St. Anne's End, it's impossible. And as for the toilets, disgusting. But what else would you expect from the contemptible shower that run cork city fc.

Top tip - just don't go into it. You'll always get a seat in one of the stands along either side of the pitch.

Other annoying things about the league -

1. The all for one attitude to Europe makes my toes curl. It's minnowism at its most pathetic. Every year in Europe I'm hoping for each and every Irish club to do a pats v zimbru. Because my team has nothing to gain from anything else.

2. The toilets in United Park - whoever is "running" drogheda should be made spend a week living in them. My wife opened the door of one once, I had to bring her to Orlando for a week after it.

3. The toilets in Tolka Park - see above.

4. Absolutely no oversight for officials - the only half competent one I can think of is mcloughlin. There's a good few - Connolly, butters, Grant for example that you just know when you see their names they are going to make a ******.of the game. Frustrating.

5. The hipster takeover of Bohs - "ya we're like totally into fairtrade hummus and anti fascism and craft beer and just generally being righteous chin stroking dudes" *cough* he who dare not be named *cough*

6. The garden centre behind the goals in the showgrounds. - For goodness sake but something there!

I have literally 100s more, if anyone is interested in crowdfunding my book, pm me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    1. The all for one attitude to Europe makes my toes curl. It's minnowism at its most pathetic. Every year in Europe I'm hoping for each and every Irish club to do a pats v zimbru. Because my team has nothing to gain from anything else.
    last years love in for scumdalk was particularly pathetic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    In fairness LTID is consistent for railing against such minnowism.

I had a similar approach to Spingal in Europe. And I enjoyed it somewhat. But now that they've bitten the bullet...

I think when Limerick get there though I could re-evaluate my "We're all in this together lads" stance.

Plus my team have been a bucket of shoite for so long I need something to cheer on.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    This^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I hate that TV games are on the same time as all other games. The target audience are at games when there is a gameon the air.

I say move a designated TV game to another date; say Monday night or Saturday afternoon. I go to most Galway United games but I'd like to watch TV games too but i can't do both at the same time. Unless, of course, I watch it on my phone ;0)
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    Fans misspelling other teams. So childish.

Usually a sign of minnowism.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

5. The hipster takeover of Bohs - "ya we're like totally into fairtrade hummus and anti fascism and craft beer and just generally being righteous chin stroking dudes" *cough* he who dare not be named *cough*
    Most of your points were valid, but the above points just make you sound like a bitter old timer railing against modern society.

I love supporting LOI teams in Europe, no matter who they are, and I love that there are always lots of other LOI jerseys in the crowd. And if Bohs are trying to market themselves as the hip, inclusive club, then I say more power to them.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to drink a craft beer and stroke my hipster beard.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    frankly any person who would want another team in their own league to fail in europe is sad and needs help. really is a case if i can't have it no one else can have it either.

25. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    For those with delusions/ambitions of winning the league or getting into Europe I can see why a windfall of cash for a rival would be something you'd be actively hoping wouldn't happen. As we've no chance of doing either for the foreseeable future I don't mind wishing them well. As long as it's not Athlone.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast