Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Premier Division 2017-WE'RE BACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    My main gripe is it takes us 6 passes to do something that could have been done in one. Pass, pass, pass.....pressure.......hoof.
    It's infuriating or the amount of open players missed cos we are too busy making sure all the back 5 touch it first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard1 View Post
    Turner's substitution v Bohs was sarcastically cheered and applauded by the section of supporters in front of the press area in the stand, simple as. I can't believe people are on here denying that this happened. I heard a number of supporters commenting on it when leaving the ground. He did have a poor game along with a number of others but thats no way to treat a player, he needs encouragement from the supporters at the games and on forums like this. It was nice to see him bounce back with cross for Tosi's equaliser today.
    Not this again. This has been done to death all week. I was in that area of the stand as always and what your claiming did not happen. While we were disappointed with his performance booing or jeering our own did not happen. Those lads who lead the singing are extremely loyal to the club and know how important it is to back the team at all times. We are entitled on forums like this to criticise the club and individual players as supporters. It would be nice if going forward we could stick to the facts.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennycon View Post
    Give the man a chance few games into the season
    Aren,t you the guy slating managers on the junior forums and your on here commenting on a highly paid manager with a huge budget with his feet 3yrs under the table.stay where you belong you have,n a clue.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    My main gripe is it takes us 6 passes to do something that could have been done in one. Pass, pass, pass.....pressure.......hoof.
    Exactly this.

Something like this: Hall - Williams - Robson - Williams - Whitehead - Kelly - Whitehead - Hall - Williams - Long ball.

The long ball is no better at the end of all that than it would be at the start. All that hasn't improved things in any way. I get the idea behind probing for openings and all that, but we never find any openings. The best outcome is that it's a long ball. The worst outcome is that we give away possession or even goals.

And the thing is that if you put them under pressure, the cracks show. We had a free kick just inside our half after Robson had been fouled - balled played back to Williams, and across the line. Eventually Kelly (I think) was closed down for a throw in. From the throw in, more pointless passing, a mis-hit, a rushed clearance, and we are a goal down.

Just before that, we had a free kick inside their half. Williams went up, lots of players forward. Get it in the box? No way - free kick goes square to Whitehead who is immediately pressured and balloons a ball over everybody.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    To me if you are waiting for a crack/ gap to show then one of the defenders needs to either push forward into the space created or pass into the option that has opened up. We seem to be doing the part where we try move teams around but the important part of taking advantage of that is seriously missing.

To not lose to us you just need to hold your position and not make silly mistakes.

Some of our best chances today came from us breaking on harps and it was the same against Bohs, when space was available.

Zonal marking again today. One thing that stuck out to me is, zonal is fine IF the ball is well cleared first time. If the ball spills in the box or crossed immediately back in there is confusion everywhere as the players now have to go from their zone to actually picking a man to mark. That is much harder to do on the fly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Aren,t you the guy slating managers on the junior forums and your on here commenting on a highly paid manager with a huge budget with his feet 3yrs under the table.stay where you belong you have,n a clue.
    What school did you go too!!! Show me where I have slated a manager or managers, and the other forums are your present level by the sounds of things , getting back to soccer I hope the chairman gives him time, a centre half is needed asap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    What school did you go too!!! Show me where I have slated a manager or managers, and the other forums are your present level by the sounds of things , getting back to soccer I hope the chairman gives him time, a centre half is needed asap.
    3 years not enough time?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    3 years not enough time?
    3years enough time for what?? , stability, mid table table or win the league people have to be realistic and not get carried away and give the man a realistic target, winning the league is not a realistic target anytime soon in my opinion I would give Martin more time will he need to change the system with some of the defenders we have yes.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I would give Martin more time will he need to change the system with some of the defenders we have yes.
    The problem is that there's no reason to believe he will change the system. He didn't change it two years ago - we passed it across the back and got ourselves into trouble game after game, and it never changed at all, while picking up 6 points from a possible 63.

It's one thing to have a preferred way of playing, that's grand. But when you don't have the players to implement that system, you get ones that can, or you devise new tactics. Russell hasn't done either.

Players like Whitehead, and Paudie before him, are completely uncomfortable with what they are being asked to do.

Jofspring has it exactly right above. All this passing ends in a long ball anyway. That's the best outcome and could be achieved just as easily without a string of passes across the back. All the passing achieves is to increase the possibility of us getting in trouble.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/03/2017 at 9:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Anybody remember a fella called Stuart Taylor??

The style of play is eerily reminiscent of the end of his reign.

He was sacked after a hammering off cork if memory serves...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Jofspring has it exactly right above. All this passing ends in a long ball anyway. That's the best outcome and could be achieved just as easily without a string of passes across the back. All the passing achieves is to increase the possibility of us getting in trouble.
    At one stage yesterday Ian Turner (Who did ok when he came on!!) Shaun Kelly and someone else spent about four hours in front of the stand working a chance. The end result?? A nothing cross into the box... from Tony Whitehead..

It's nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    3years enough time for what?? , stability, mid table table or win the league people have to be realistic and not get carried away and give the man a realistic target, winning the league is not a realistic target anytime soon in my opinion I would give Martin more time will he need to change the system with some of the defenders we have yes.
    Who said anything about winning the league ever? Honestly now why bother coming on to somewhere to discuss things if you are just gonna talk absolute nonsense. 3 years is enough to know that he will never change his system and he will not cut out the same mistakes that have happened over and over again 3 years is enough to know he will never push us on to anything above mid table plodders. You say be realistic well imo realistically a team with the 5th or 6th biggest budget in the league should not be making teams like Bohs and Harps look comfortable in our own home ground and realistically a team playing two teams with probably half of less the budget should be getting more than one point from those two games and lastly realistically a manager that went 21 games without a win should have lost his job then and there.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Something needs to change fast or we'll be in trouble hard to see a point from next 2 away games and then cork who could go into that game having won every match we could be on for a hiding which could be the last straw for most people , you could see after a short time yesterday it was not working but we have no plan b change personnel with 30mins to go yes it was better but there seems to be a lack of drive and effort out there which is a worry , while ogbene and turner have ability we have to remember neither of them could get a proper run at cork last season turner was nowhere to be seen , Clarke seems to have lost some of the spark he had first time he was with us again struggled to get into the rovers team last season , I like whitehead as a defender but this playing around at the back is killing us and him lost confidence yesterday big time he's just not comfortable at doing it , can't understand why o connor is not starting made a difference when he came on yesterday , Duggan needs a break not playing well , Freddie has to be dropped simple as that too many mistakes last few games

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Anybody remember a fella called Stuart Taylor??

The style of play is eerily reminiscent of the end of his reign.

He was sacked after a hammering off cork if memory serves...
    Didn't he start on TV with a draw in Cork as well, which had people talking about us in the top four early on then too. Didn't play out that way though.

Where is he now anyway ?

Jofspring makes the key point here, agreed. If you knock it around to open spaces and work creative players onto the ball facing the opponents goal well into the middle third, all well and good. But if you end up knocking it long when set up to try to play, you are as well off to set up for that and hit that ball earlier. (Not that that's what I necessarily want to watch)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678