Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish Challenge Cup

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Sounds like great craic.

Dunno how cheap it is for a club to travel to a match in, say, Elgin, but as a fan, I'd like us to be involved.

Don't know if there's any concerns this (and the U20 sides) could be denying small Scottish clubs a cup final out.
    Saw on Extratime there that Celtic's U20s were the only one to win a match, so wouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. Would be different if they started playing more players with first team experience, but then you'd wonder why they were playing senior players in an underage team. Men's football is a different game and you'd expect any decent lower league team to beat kids.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Having watched Hearts V Hibs at the weekend id strongly disagree they standard is any better than here. The Scottish league is often one big game of head tennis
    Teams who are good at head tennis could beat ours though. I remember a few NI teams winning the Setanta Cup doing exactly that. Obviously they wouldn't beat Dundalk or Cork bashing the ball up, but anyone below that could be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Involvement in that fizzy drink cup could mean major disruption of fixtures towards the end of the season.

Last year, 1st Round 2/3 Aug, 2nd Round a fortnight later, 3rd early Sep, 4th early Oct and QFs beginning of Nov. All matches go to ET & P if needed, so no replays, at least!

But player contract implications, also, assuming things go well on-field.

That schedule is far more intrusive than CL or Europa, isn't it? Especially at the tail end of a season with three relegations and no play-off ...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    I'll doubtless be proven wrong on this, but I bet Sligo Rovers will be drawn away in their first game.

I'd say a lot of Scottish sides wouldn't look forward to the idea of getting to the west of Ireland for a game - especially the non-league or Second Division sides based in the middle of nowhere - so the draw will magic out a home fixture against Sligo.

I wonder if a deal is/will be done re travel costs for whatever team(s) are involved ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    One Irish team at home and one away. Did same with the Northern and Welsh teams last year. Also, Irish and Welsh teams don't enter until 3rd or 4th round i I remember correctly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    First of this season's semi finals currently live on BBC Alba, Dundee Utd 3-1 up on QOS. 2nd semi between St Mirren and New Saints also live on Alba tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12