Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 111

Thread: LOI Club History Discussion

  1. #1
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    852
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 69 Times in 49 Posts

    LOI Club History Discussion

    Maybe a small problem LoI clubs have in getting more fans is that their team names are not inclusive/grounded in locality enough. I would rather have the original Galway Rovers than the current Utd for example. Do the City in Corks name exclude those in the county?
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ? Bit off topic but I think Bohs had an offer from some company, Phillips?, to change their same for a 10 year sponsorship deal in the 1970's before name on shirts was allowed, but they turned it down I think.

  2. #2
    First Team oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 252 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Maybe a small problem LoI clubs have in getting more fans is that their team names are not inclusive/grounded in locality enough. I would rather have the original Galway Rovers than the current Utd for example. Do the City in Corks name exclude those in the county?
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ? Bit off topic but I think Bohs had an offer from some company, Phillips?, to change their same for a 10 year sponsorship deal in the 1970's before name on shirts was allowed, but they turned it down I think.
    I`m pretty sure Cork United won 3 in a row league titles in the 40's.
    #Dundalk FC 3-in-a-row 2014-2016

  3. #3
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 343 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Maybe a small problem LoI clubs have in getting more fans is that their team names are not inclusive/grounded in locality enough. I would rather have the original Galway Rovers than the current Utd for example. Do the City in Corks name exclude those in the county?
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ? Bit off topic but I think Bohs had an offer from some company, Phillips?, to change their same for a 10 year sponsorship deal in the 1970's before name on shirts was allowed, but they turned it down I think.
    Dublin United were founder member 1921. Followed by Shelbourne United in 1922 (not the same club as Shelbourne FC)

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #4
    No-mark has-been stann's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Here. Or there.
    Posts
    2,768
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 145 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ?
    Ha, beaten to the punch!
    Yep, Dublin United played the first two seasons of the Free State League, and Shelbourne United also took part in the second and third seasons, that's in addition to the original Shelbourne FC.
    And of course there was the Reds United alter-ego of Shels for one season in the mid-30s, and as stated above the first Cork United, which was a League side for most of the '40s.
    Last edited by stann; 07/02/2017 at 3:34 PM. Reason: pipped
    more bass

  6. #5
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    852
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Thanks folks for the info on the Dublin, Cork and Shelbourne Uniteds, I will have to find out more about them clubs sometime. Of course the name is only a small/tiny part of what attracts fans to go support a team, but there is a strong county loyalty is Ireland(despite them being a British imposition) and along with county colours I think clubs should use them in order to create an identity. Would Wexford change from the pink to the yellow bellies, Cork go red etc.

    I was abroad during most of the Dublin City project, so don't have great knowledge of what went on, but in terms of name and colours the guy seemed to have an interesting concept. I remember reading that he was hoping that tourists would purchase the replica jerseys in Corrolls shops etc and it would be a good revenue stream for the team. Also Dubs might know, but was their a story a while back that the GAA unhappy with Leinster rugger crowd trying to latch on to their popularity by bringing out similar jerseys to theirs.

  7. #6
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    2,975
    Thanks
    199
    Thanked 376 Times in 252 Posts
    Once wearing a Limerick jersey to five a side in Dublin, I received a puzzled query along the lines of "Why not green?". I'll admit I have wondered on occasion if something like that might help attach locals more to a side, but at the end of day I like that Limerick FC have their own colors unique of the GAA team and Munster.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  8. #7
    First Team oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 252 Times in 189 Posts
    So in the modern era, well going back maybe since the 70's, who was the first of the then LOI clubs to be called 'United'

    I've decided not to google, from memory I do recall Galway Rovers in oriel park around 1980, almost sure Waterford only changed to United around 82, they definitely won their leagues as Waterford in the incredible era from mid 60's to early 70's. Limerick, tough one, almost sure they were Limerick FC in the 1977 cup final v Dlk, but United when they won the league in 1980. Drogs, another tough one, I just about recall 'Drogheda FC' so I think United might have been around 1980-81 also.

    Have I missed any club that went from 'FC' to 'United' around this era? I still don't know who was the first for this era to be called United, I think it's Limerick.

    Ps just remembered Limerick traded as City around 85/86 ??? decent side too, they wore yellow & green. I remember a superb MF battle one season between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Lynch. 2-2 draw. If that result is true, I need to seriously get a life.
    #Dundalk FC 3-in-a-row 2014-2016

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #8
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 343 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    So in the modern era, well going back maybe since the 70's, who was the first of the then LOI clubs to be called 'United'

    I've decided not to google, from memory I do recall Galway Rovers in oriel park around 1980, almost sure Waterford only changed to United around 82, they definitely won their leagues as Waterford in the incredible era from mid 60's to early 70's. Limerick, tough one, almost sure they were Limerick FC in the 1977 cup final v Dlk, but United when they won the league in 1980. Drogs, another tough one, I just about recall 'Drogheda FC' so I think United might have been around 1980-81 also.

    Have I missed any club that went from 'FC' to 'United' around this era? I still don't know who was the first for this era to be called United, I think it's Limerick.

    Ps just remembered Limerick traded as City around 85/86 ??? decent side too, they wore yellow & green. I remember a superb MF battle one season between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Lynch. 2-2 draw. If that result is true, I need to seriously get a life.
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think. For my own entertainment as much as anything else here's all the Uniteds:
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Shelbourne United 1922-24
    Reds United 1935-36
    Cork United version 1 1939-48 (ex Fordsons/Cork/Cork City (first version), replaced by Cork Ath etc)
    Evergreen United 1951-59 (then Cork Celtic)
    Drogheda United 1963 to date
    Cork United version 2 1979-82 (ex Albert Rovers/Cork Alberts, replaced Cork Celtic etc)
    Limerick United 1979-83 (ex Limerick, then City/FC/37 etc)
    Galway United 1982 to date (ex Galway Rovers)
    Waterford United 1983-2016 (ex Waterford)
    Monaghan United 1985-2012
    Newcastle United 1985-6 (then renamed Newcastlewest)

    All of which reminds me of my favourite Irish pub conversation .... someone says 'I support United' I say 'Galway or Waterford?'
    Last edited by seand; 08/02/2017 at 11:12 AM.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #9
    Reserves
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Turners Cross - I wish!
    Posts
    567
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think. For my own entertainment as much as anything else here's all the Uniteds:
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Shelbourne United 1922-24
    Reds United 1935-36
    Cork United version 1 1939-48 (ex Fordsons/Cork/Cork City (first version), replaced by Cork Ath etc)
    Drogheda United 1963 to date
    Cork United version 2 1979-82 (ex Albert Rovers/Cork Alberts, replaced Cork Celtic etc)
    Limerick United 1979-83 (ex Limerick, then City/FC/37 etc)
    Galway United 1982 to date (ex Galway Rovers)
    Waterford United 1983-2016 (ex Waterford)
    Monaghan United 1985-2012
    Newcastle United 1985-6 (then renamed Newcastlewest)

    All of which reminds me of my favourite Irish pub conversation .... someone says 'I support United' I say 'Galway or Waterford?'
    Don't forget Evergreen United, later Cork Celtic.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

  13. #10
    Youth Team ciaraa's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think.
    It was Drogheda FC for the cup final against Limerick. Not too sure when the United bit came on board but it wasn't long after that.

  14. #11
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 343 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Don't forget Evergreen United, later Cork Celtic.
    Ah come on, you can't expect me to remember ALL the Cork clubs ;-)

  15. #12
    First Team oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 252 Times in 189 Posts
    Drogs were definitely 'FC' from when they joined in the early 60's, and this was right up the late 70's I think.
    #Dundalk FC 3-in-a-row 2014-2016

  16. #13
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Maynooth
    Posts
    1,139
    Thanks
    279
    Thanked 343 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    It was Drogheda FC for the cup final against Limerick. Not too sure when the United bit came on board but it wasn't long after that.
    They were United before the 71 cup final v Limerick anyway, or contemporary programmes and newspapers were way ahead of the game! Limerick Leader online archive of papers from 1971 refers to Drogheda United with respect to 71 cup final. I thought they changed to United when joining the league or just before when applying to join. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by seand; 08/02/2017 at 11:10 AM.

  17. #14
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 48 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think. For my own entertainment as much as anything else here's all the Uniteds:
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Shelbourne United 1922-24
    Reds United 1935-36
    Cork United version 1 1939-48 (ex Fordsons/Cork/Cork City (first version), replaced by Cork Ath etc)
    Evergreen United 1951-59 (then Cork Celtic)
    Drogheda United 1963 to date
    Cork United version 2 1979-82 (ex Albert Rovers/Cork Alberts, replaced Cork Celtic etc)
    Limerick United 1979-83 (ex Limerick, then City/FC/37 etc)
    Galway United 1982 to date (ex Galway Rovers)
    Waterford United 1983-2016 (ex Waterford)
    Monaghan United 1985-2012
    Newcastle United 1985-6 (then renamed Newcastlewest)

    All of which reminds me of my favourite Irish pub conversation .... someone says 'I support United' I say 'Galway or Waterford?'
    Don't forget the latest addition either = Mervue United !

  18. #15
    Reserves
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Turners Cross - I wish!
    Posts
    567
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Ah come on, you can't expect me to remember ALL the Cork clubs ;-)
    Sure we've only had 2 Cork Uniteds and 1 Evergreen United - how hard can that be? :-)
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

  19. #16
    First Team Partizan's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    RSC
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 54 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Don't forget the latest addition either = Mervue United !
    Ah! Mervue, how could we not forget thee.


  20. Thanks From:


  21. #17
    First Team Partizan's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    RSC
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 54 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    It was Drogheda FC for the cup final against Limerick. Not too sure when the United bit came on board but it wasn't long after that.
    Isn't the current DUFC (1975) an amalgamation of two clubs, Drogheda FC (1962) and a non league Drogheda United (1919)?

  22. #18
    Reserves
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 141 Times in 82 Posts
    Very DEFINITELY, Drogheda became Drogheda United in 1975.

  23. #19
    Seasoned Pro holidaysong's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dublin 2
    Posts
    3,922
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts
    Any Lilywhites remember that we were down as 'Dundalk United' on an away game match programme either last year or the one before?

    That counts, right?

  24. #20
    Reserves Yossarian's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    606
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 141 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Any Lilywhites remember that we were down as 'Dundalk United' on an away game match programme either last year or the one before?
    I recall "Dundalk United" being announced as Pats opponents over the tannoy once or twice in Inchicore.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Finn Harps open a new chapter in the club’s history
    By happydays97 in forum Finn Harps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15/05/2008, 12:54 AM
  2. Club History
    By historynut in forum Monaghan United
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19/02/2008, 1:18 PM
  3. Forthcoming Club History Book
    By historynut in forum Finn Harps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14/02/2008, 5:15 PM
  4. Early Club History
    By historynut in forum Galway United
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06/04/2007, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •