Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Club History Discussion

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

LOI Club History Discussion

Maybe a small problem LoI clubs have in getting more fans is that their team names are not inclusive/grounded in locality enough. I would rather have the original Galway Rovers than the current Utd for example. Do the City in Corks name exclude those in the county?
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ? Bit off topic but I think Bohs had an offer from some company, Phillips?, to change their same for a 10 year sponsorship deal in the 1970's before name on shirts was allowed, but they turned it down I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Maybe a small problem LoI clubs have in getting more fans is that their team names are not inclusive/grounded in locality enough. I would rather have the original Galway Rovers than the current Utd for example. Do the City in Corks name exclude those in the county?
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ? Bit off topic but I think Bohs had an offer from some company, Phillips?, to change their same for a 10 year sponsorship deal in the 1970's before name on shirts was allowed, but they turned it down I think.
    I`m pretty sure Cork United won 3 in a row league titles in the 40's.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Dublin United were founder member 1921. Followed by Shelbourne United in 1922 (not the same club as Shelbourne FC)

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Could some of the stats lads on here tell us who and what year we had the first United club in the loI ?
    Ha, beaten to the punch!
    Yep, Dublin United played the first two seasons of the Free State League, and Shelbourne United also took part in the second and third seasons, that's in addition to the original Shelbourne FC.
    And of course there was the Reds United alter-ego of Shels for one season in the mid-30s, and as stated above the first Cork United, which was a League side for most of the '40s.
    Last edited by stann; 07/02/2017 at 4:34 PM. Reason: pipped
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Thanks folks for the info on the Dublin, Cork and Shelbourne Uniteds, I will have to find out more about them clubs sometime. Of course the name is only a small/tiny part of what attracts fans to go support a team, but there is a strong county loyalty is Ireland(despite them being a British imposition) and along with county colours I think clubs should use them in order to create an identity. Would Wexford change from the pink to the yellow bellies, Cork go red etc.

I was abroad during most of the Dublin City project, so don't have great knowledge of what went on, but in terms of name and colours the guy seemed to have an interesting concept. I remember reading that he was hoping that tourists would purchase the replica jerseys in Corrolls shops etc and it would be a good revenue stream for the team. Also Dubs might know, but was their a story a while back that the GAA unhappy with Leinster rugger crowd trying to latch on to their popularity by bringing out similar jerseys to theirs.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Once wearing a Limerick jersey to five a side in Dublin, I received a puzzled query along the lines of "Why not green?". I'll admit I have wondered on occasion if something like that might help attach locals more to a side, but at the end of day I like that Limerick FC have their own colors unique of the GAA team and Munster.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    So in the modern era, well going back maybe since the 70's, who was the first of the then LOI clubs to be called 'United'

I've decided not to google, from memory I do recall Galway Rovers in oriel park around 1980, almost sure Waterford only changed to United around 82, they definitely won their leagues as Waterford in the incredible era from mid 60's to early 70's. Limerick, tough one, almost sure they were Limerick FC in the 1977 cup final v Dlk, but United when they won the league in 1980. Drogs, another tough one, I just about recall 'Drogheda FC' so I think United might have been around 1980-81 also.

Have I missed any club that went from 'FC' to 'United' around this era? I still don't know who was the first for this era to be called United, I think it's Limerick.

Ps just remembered Limerick traded as City around 85/86 ??? decent side too, they wore yellow & green. I remember a superb MF battle one season between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Lynch. 2-2 draw. If that result is true, I need to seriously get a life.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    So in the modern era, well going back maybe since the 70's, who was the first of the then LOI clubs to be called 'United'

I've decided not to google, from memory I do recall Galway Rovers in oriel park around 1980, almost sure Waterford only changed to United around 82, they definitely won their leagues as Waterford in the incredible era from mid 60's to early 70's. Limerick, tough one, almost sure they were Limerick FC in the 1977 cup final v Dlk, but United when they won the league in 1980. Drogs, another tough one, I just about recall 'Drogheda FC' so I think United might have been around 1980-81 also.

Have I missed any club that went from 'FC' to 'United' around this era? I still don't know who was the first for this era to be called United, I think it's Limerick.

Ps just remembered Limerick traded as City around 85/86 ??? decent side too, they wore yellow & green. I remember a superb MF battle one season between Barry Kehoe and Tommy Lynch. 2-2 draw. If that result is true, I need to seriously get a life.
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think. For my own entertainment as much as anything else here's all the Uniteds:
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Shelbourne United 1922-24
    Reds United 1935-36
    Cork United version 1 1939-48 (ex Fordsons/Cork/Cork City (first version), replaced by Cork Ath etc)
    Evergreen United 1951-59 (then Cork Celtic)
    Drogheda United 1963 to date
    Cork United version 2 1979-82 (ex Albert Rovers/Cork Alberts, replaced Cork Celtic etc)
    Limerick United 1979-83 (ex Limerick, then City/FC/37 etc)
    Galway United 1982 to date (ex Galway Rovers)
    Waterford United 1983-2016 (ex Waterford)
    Monaghan United 1985-2012
    Newcastle United 1985-6 (then renamed Newcastlewest)

All of which reminds me of my favourite Irish pub conversation .... someone says 'I support United' I say 'Galway or Waterford?'
    Last edited by seand; 08/02/2017 at 12:12 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think. For my own entertainment as much as anything else here's all the Uniteds:
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Reds United 1935-36
    Cork United version 1 1939-48 (ex Fordsons/Cork/Cork City (first version), replaced by Cork Ath etc)
    Cork United version 2 1979-82 (ex Albert Rovers/Cork Alberts, replaced Cork Celtic etc)

All of which reminds me of my favourite Irish pub conversation .... someone says 'I support United' I say 'Galway or Waterford?'
    Don't forget Evergreen United, later Cork Celtic.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    We're going WAY off topic here, but Drogs have been United since they joined the league, I think.
    It was Drogheda FC for the cup final against Limerick. Not too sure when the United bit came on board but it wasn't long after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Don't forget Evergreen United, later Cork Celtic.
    Ah come on, you can't expect me to remember ALL the Cork clubs ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Drogs were definitely 'FC' from when they joined in the early 60's, and this was right up the late 70's I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    It was Drogheda FC for the cup final against Limerick. Not too sure when the United bit came on board but it wasn't long after that.
    They were United before the 71 cup final v Limerick anyway, or contemporary programmes and newspapers were way ahead of the game! Limerick Leader online archive of papers from 1971 refers to Drogheda United with respect to 71 cup final. I thought they changed to United when joining the league or just before when applying to join. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by seand; 08/02/2017 at 12:10 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Dublin United 1921-23
    Reds United 1935-36
    Evergreen United 1951-59 (then Cork Celtic)

Don't forget the latest addition either = Mervue United !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Ah come on, you can't expect me to remember ALL the Cork clubs ;-)
    Sure we've only had 2 Cork Uniteds and 1 Evergreen United - how hard can that be? :-)
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Don't forget the latest addition either = Mervue United !
    Ah! Mervue, how could we not forget thee.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    Isn't the current DUFC (1975) an amalgamation of two clubs, Drogheda FC (1962) and a non league Drogheda United (1919)?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Very DEFINITELY, Drogheda became Drogheda United in 1975.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Any Lilywhites remember that we were down as 'Dundalk United' on an away game match programme either last year or the one before?

That counts, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Any Lilywhites remember that we were down as 'Dundalk United' on an away game match programme either last year or the one before?
    I recall "Dundalk United" being announced as Pats opponents over the tannoy once or twice in Inchicore.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast