Thread: LOI Club History Discussion

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/040...-leave-ground/

Any idea of what they mean about not being able to develop Milltown in to a soccer ground?
    No idea what they mean there? Only thing I can think of is a typo and they mean into anything but a soccer ground due to zoning or something

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/040...-leave-ground/

Any idea of what they mean about not being able to develop Milltown in to a soccer ground?
    Think it's just a bad copy. The Jesuits owned the ground on stipulation it would only be used as a soccer ground. They sold it to the Kilcoynes on the understanding that that would continue, but clearly didn't get any guarantees considering what happened next. Bit trusting of the Jesuits, but hopefully a valuable lessons there for all the other folks who own grounds in trust around the country. I'd genuinely hate to see Dundalk or Sligo or anyone else lose their home to greedy developers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Yeah I am indeed. Considering I wasn't born at the time not too big a crime but I'm pretty red faced just now, I just knew that was a replay, Rovers won the cup and mick Byrne scored in Milltown so not too bad, 2 replays seems ridiculous. Anyway I'd still take a 1-0 tonight.
    It wasn't 2 replays. It was more ridiculous then that. It was a two legged affair where away goals (or penalties) weren't considered after the two legs. (as an aside we famously had 3 replays against Cobh 4 years prior)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    It wasn't 2 replays. It was more ridiculous then that. It was a two legged affair where away goals (or penalties) weren't considered after the two legs. (as an aside we famously had 3 replays against Cobh 4 years prior)
    Yeah I know I realised that after reading Fridays programme the news reports I read had said it was a replay that then needed another replay. Journalism in this country. I see your ridiculous fact though and raise you this. For that semi final the fai told the rovers supporters club, they produced the programmes after kilcoyne decided they weren't worth the effort, there was a £200 charge to produce programs for it so the supporters club decided not to produce any because it would cost too much. The FAI though took £200 from the gate receipts anyway despite no programme being made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    There was a programme produced for the last game at Milltown. It wasn't the regular issue but a larger format more like a newsletter. I really doubt there were FAI fines at the time for not producing programmes. Some clubs were hit and miss at the time for issues.

Milltown could easily have been developed into a decent football ground but was worth considerably more for housing. I believe the Jesuits were naive but
    couldn't have sold the ground for development without a massive outcry and backlash against the Catholic Church even in 1987. The Kilcoynes clearly made a massive profit on the deal - almost £1 million I believe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain01 View Post
    There was a programme produced for the last game at Milltown. It wasn't the regular issue but a larger format more like a newsletter. I really doubt there were FAI fines at the time for not producing programmes. Some clubs were hit and miss at the time for issues.

Milltown could easily have been developed into a decent football ground but was worth considerably more for housing. I believe the Jesuits were naive but
    couldn't have sold the ground for development without a massive outcry and backlash against the Catholic Church even in 1987. The Kilcoynes clearly made a massive profit on the deal - almost £1 million I believe.
    It wasn't a fine. According to the programme write up the FAI were 'franchising' out the FAI semi finals and as part of that clubs had to pay £200 for the right to produce match programmes. The Kilcoynes couldn't be bothered making programmes so gave up a while before that at which point the rovers supporters club began producing them. They didn't have the funds to justify the £200 plus all the other costs for the programmes so did as you said a newspaper style thing for the match. The FAI though took the £200 off the gate anyway.

Is there any way to post photos and I'll put the article up. I can't seem to add photos for some reason, might be because I'm on my phone
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 20/04/2017 at 7:23 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Interesting. I wasn't aware the FAI charge(d) to produce programmes for semi finals. Obviously the money involved increased significantly from 1985 to 1987. The Galway v Limerick replay in Athlone in 1985 was the most recent neutral venue game hosted by the FAI and they didn't bother producing a programme. I can think of maybe 5 years from 1971-1985 when the FAI produced semi final programmes. Even when they did issue they normally didn't bother for replays eg 1980 & 1985. Otherwise nothing was produced except the odd club issue such as Cork Hibs 1973. I can't recall who did the 1974 Harps v Athlone issue but pretty sure it wasn't the FAI.

Indeed when Limerick produced an unauthorised programme for the semi final v Drogheda in 1977 (nothing else done) they were allowed produce the official issue for the replay. Unfortunately I couldn't persuade my father to drive to Dublin for a 3rd time (and him miss work and me school) for the 2nd replay and I've never seen a programme for it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    According to the article it was post 85 they started this "franchising" so that would make sense timescale wise.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I don't know if this would be the right thread but if anybody has seen the movie sing street on the wall in one of the kids rooms are some posters of shamrock rovers teams, including what looks like (they're slightly out of focus) the team from the last season, maybe game?, at Milltown. Quite a cool LOI Easter egg.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I don't know if this would be the right thread but if anybody has seen the movie sing street on the wall in one of the kids rooms are some posters of shamrock rovers teams, including what looks like (they're slightly out of focus) the team from the last season, maybe game?, at Milltown. Quite a cool LOI Easter egg.
    Wow great spot. Saw it in the cinema last year. Didn't notice that. Terrific movie tho. Drive it like ya stole it!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Wow great spot. Saw it in the cinema last year. Didn't notice that. Terrific movie tho. Drive it like ya stole it!
    Yeah class film. Love seeing subtle little LOI references in things.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456