Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 122

Thread: 2017 Predictions

  1. #61
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 771 Times in 443 Posts
    Naive rookie manager creating a level of expectation he will not be able to meet. saying that he expects to finish second .is very foolish.

  2. #62
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    883
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
    Naive rookie poster assuming that team manager new to the game is automatically going to fail.
    Let's see who's the foolish one come season's end eh.

  3. #63
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    27,832
    Thanks
    1,084
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Where does Bradley say he expects to finish second?

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #64
    International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Limerick City
    Posts
    6,480
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked 549 Times in 395 Posts
    He may as well have a bit of ambition and if he is willing to live by the sword then fair play to him.

  6. #65
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 771 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Naive rookie poster assuming that team manager new to the game is automatically going to fail.
    Let's see who's the foolish one come season's end eh.
    I'm interested to know what you deem success or failure for Rovers in relation to league place?

  7. #66
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    453
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Naive rookie manager creating a level of expectation he will not be able to meet. saying that he expects to finish second .is very foolish.
    Think that's a bit harsh I think "targeting" 3rd place is not the same as saying he expects to be second. To be fair to him what do prole expect him to say ...he's targeting 4th ?
    Or duck it completely and sat he has no target?

  8. #67
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    453
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Think that's a bit harsh I think "targeting" 3rd place is not the same as saying he expects to be second. To be fair to him what do prole expect him to say ...he's targeting 4th ?
    Or duck it completely and sat he has no target?
    Typo "targeting 2nd" place.

  9. #68
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 771 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Think that's a bit harsh I think "targeting" 3rd place is not the same as saying he expects to be second. To be fair to him what do prole expect him to say ...he's targeting 4th ?
    Or duck it completely and sat he has no target?
    A smarter, more savvy manager would talk about "improving on last year", being "more competitive", "challenging for honours", "we want to try to win every game", " we'll take it game by game and see where it takes us" etc.

    Despite you and Calcio Jack (who thinks that it is clear that Bradley is saying he expects to win the league!) jumping to his defence, these type of comments wont go down well with most Rovers fans:

    On one hand he is setting a high target (finishing ahead of Cork in 2nd place) while on the other hand he is being defeatist (not likely to finish ahead of Dundalk or win the league).

    Stephen Bradley may well succeed at Rovers (whatever success actual means at Rover these days) if he can be heard over the phalanx of coaches and the other entourage at the club - but I have my doubts. Giving mixed messages to supporters does not help

  10. #69
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    10,114
    Thanks
    1,349
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Am pretty sure no matter what he said there would still be fault found with it.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #70
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    453
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Am pretty sure no matter what he said there would still be fault found with it.

    True and I'd rather have a manager who was willing to step away from platitudes.

  13. #71
    Reserves Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    A smarter, more savvy manager would talk about "improving on last year", being "more competitive", "challenging for honours", "we want to try to win every game", " we'll take it game by game and see where it takes us" etc.

    Despite you and Calcio Jack (who thinks that it is clear that Bradley is saying he expects to win the league!) jumping to his defence, these type of comments wont go down well with most Rovers fans:

    On one hand he is setting a high target (finishing ahead of Cork in 2nd place) while on the other hand he is being defeatist (not likely to finish ahead of Dundalk or win the league).

    Stephen Bradley may well succeed at Rovers (whatever success actual means at Rover these days) if he can be heard over the phalanx of coaches and the other entourage at the club - but I have my doubts. Giving mixed messages to supporters does not help
    What Bradley has said has gone down exceptionally well with Rovers fans- also the major structural changes that have been implemented on and off the park are also going down very well- that is reflected in best season ticket sales in 5 years.
    So thanks for your opinions but the facts are as set out above.
    We're expecting to mount a major meaningful chellenge and the league is the target- the belief is that is a realistic and achievable target- come June that may not be the case but Bradley's being up front and straight in his comments which is much better than reverting to the cliche playbook you've suggested
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 10/02/2017 at 12:51 PM.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #72
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 771 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    What Bradley has said has gone down exceptionally well with Rovers fans-
    That's a relief

    I suppose I better stop fretting for you Rovers fans then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    We're expecting to mount a major meaningful chellenge and the league is the target- the belief is that is a realistic and achievable target-
    Psst - Bradley doesn't share your expectation:


    Stephen Bradley says
    “but to say that we will overtake them and win the league next year would be silly.

  16. #73
    Not Entirely Sure nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    8,962
    Thanks
    2,935
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,412 Posts
    Manager lowering expectations is a shock to people here? Did you all completely ignore Ollie Horgan last season?

  17. #74
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    27,832
    Thanks
    1,084
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Ezeikal - where does Bradley say he expects to finish second?

  18. #75
    Apprentice Jd2793's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Cork
    Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bray
    Pats
    Limerick
    Derry
    Sligo
    Galway
    Bohs
    Drogs
    Harps


    Waterford to win the FD also

  19. #76
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,864
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 771 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ezeikal - where does Bradley say he expects to finish second?

    I think Bradley was speaking at the eir Sports announcement of their live broadcast of the Dundalk V Shamrocks Rovers match

  20. #77
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    27,832
    Thanks
    1,084
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,193 Posts
    But you quoted the piece from the Irish Times - where he doesn't say that he expects to finish second - and used that to say that he does expect to finish second.

    I don't know why you're bringing Setanta into it now?

    Certainly, nowhere has it yet been shown that Bradley says he expects to come second.

  21. #78
    First Team oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    2,486
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 252 Times in 189 Posts
    77 posts on this so far, less than half are actual predictions but some are multiple posts by those who made predictions, in summary here is the current tally on league winners. I'm open to correction if I have miscounted any.

    Dundalk 18
    Cork 7
    Rovers 2

    For Cork fans and others who fancy a flutter on them, I still think there is a bit of value with the bookies.
    Last edited by oriel; 11/02/2017 at 7:59 PM.
    #Dundalk FC 3-in-a-row 2014-2016

  22. #79
    First Team Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Drogheda (shhhhh!!)
    Posts
    2,061
    Thanks
    585
    Thanked 459 Times in 289 Posts
    If Derry carry on their improvement under Sheils they have to be in the mix although playing home away from the Brandywell may have a negative impact.
    For me it is Dundalk top without bias of course. Cork 2nd again but with a much closer league in general. Derry then, we have yet to see what th new look Rovers can do. Sligo wont have the same slow start, Bray are going for broke but in fairness Harry Kenny has done a great job before they looked like splashing any cash. Galway, Drogheda, Limerick and Bohs will be fighting it out to avoid the cull. Pats should have at least a more consistant season but middle of the pack with a good cup run (how tims have changed!). Harps know how to scrap it out when needed even if Horgan will put them in the MSL somehow, if O'Connor's loan isnt extended in July they could get pulled in to the relegation scrap as I expect him to bag a good few. All in all it will be a much closer league in general, all the entertainment desired will be there with every game meaning something top and bottom. Dundalk are well capable of four in a row but as per the 3 last seasons the concern is firepower up front - lets hope Kilduff silences the doubters with a 20+ haul. Sava I hope is up to deputising too early season.

    Galway for EA Cup - have no idea what that is based on really.
    Sligo FAI Cup.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/02/2017 at 9:07 PM.

  23. #80
    Youth Team vinnie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    306
    Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bray
    Cork
    Sligo
    Derry
    St Pats
    Limerick
    Finn Harps
    Bohs
    Galway
    Drogheda

    Waterford
    Cobh
    Longford
    Wexford
    UCD
    Cabinteely
    Shels
    Athlone

    FAI Cup: Rovers
    League Cup: Derry
    Top Scorer: Michael O'Connor
    Sack race: Bucko

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 Predictions League: Series 2 - Results + Table
    By TheBoss in forum Predictions League
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06/03/2017, 8:14 PM
  2. 2017 Predictions League: Series 2 [3rd/4th March]
    By TheBoss in forum Predictions League
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 04/03/2017, 9:38 AM
  3. ET: Extratime.ie Weekly Predictions (Matchday 2 2017)
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/03/2017, 3:10 PM
  4. 2017 Predictions League: Series 1 - Results + Table
    By TheBoss in forum Predictions League
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26/02/2017, 6:59 PM
  5. 2017 Predictions Super Cup + Results
    By TheBoss in forum Predictions League
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19/02/2017, 1:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •