Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Found this today while browsing. Kind of challenges the popular narrative.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ar...form=hootsuite

Now, it turns out Robart might not know as much as he let on. Last summer, the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and the National Interest analyzed public sources of information, seeking to learn more about people convicted of terror-related offenses. The Justice Department provided the subcommittee with a list of 580 people who were convicted — not just arrested, but tried and convicted — of terror-related offenses between Sept. 11, 2001 and Dec. 31, 2014.

The subcommittee investigated further and found that at least 380 of the 580 were foreign-born and that an additional 129 were of unknown origin. Of the 380, there were representatives — at least 60 — from all of the countries on the Trump executive order list. And with 129 unknowns, there might be more, as well.

In addition, since the Senate list was compiled, there have been others involved in terrorism in the United States from the seven countries. One highly-publicized example was the case of Abdul Artan, a Somali refugee who last November wounded 11 people with a machete during an attack on the campus of Ohio State University. In fairness to Judge Robart, Artan was shot and killed by police — not arrested — so perhaps the judge didn't count him.
    Last edited by SkStu; 07/02/2017 at 2:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    60 convictions over the course of 13 years,and no American killed at the hands of terror related activity in that time from the 7 banned countries.

So the justification for a ban is zero deaths and an average of 4.6 convictions per year.

On the face of it US Immigration did a good job keeping Americans safe over that period - I wonder how 4.6 convictions per year for those 7 countries stands up v convictions of Irish people, Canadian etc.

I don't know about you - but that seems a bit heavy handed to me, kind of confirms the popular narrative also - the judge was incorrect in his assertion mind you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Typical liberal loony thinking! ^^

Many media sites publishing info on the many terrorist attacks that have been carried out over the last number of years. It's surprising how easy it has been for Trump to get the media to defeat their own narrative.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Something is different about Trump than previous incumbents that inspires such unprecedented protests. It's as if he embodies deep troublesome echoes of Nazism, the McCarthy witchhunt era and the civil rights era of KKK like generated fear against Black Americans having their civil rights and having them protected.
    And anyone who objects to Trump is labelled a "lefty", they obviously haven't met our Joe Higgins
    "Left" must be the most abused term in american english.

So far Trump has adopted positions he loudly mocked his "crooked" political rivals about and done an about turn.
    He's stocked his cabinet with six top donors,
    tapped 2 ex Goldman Sachs employees to lead the economic policy,
    family business overlapping,
    and didn't prosecute crooked Hilary.

Generally free market economy calls for a centralised state system to maintain order and it follows there's a huge shift called the "great moving right show" to develop the repressive apparatus.
    For example in Thatcher's time it was the
    POTA - the first big instrument to normalise the politics of repression in Britain.
    The Contempt of Court Act 1981(reporting ban on trials - in the national interest )
    The Employment Acts 1980/2 (trade union repression)
    etc etc. the list just goes on and on

In the US, the catch all is the Patriot Act, literally quote national security (no case need be argued or scrutinised) and it's off to the isolation tank, indefinitely. The president can quote national security as justification for any order. Then there is the Dept of Homeland Security with 240,000 employees and a budget of >$40bn p/a.
    In the US, the bathroom holds an infinitely greater threat of lethal terror than the refugee does.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Think being labelled a "lefty liberal" is quite the opposite of an insult tbh. Most like the tag. A vast array of Americans in general have a deep irrational fear of anything "left", as if its the first step to communism.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I was more referring to an abuse of the term "left" when being used to label a democrat, than the democrat being abused by being labelled a lefty

The "lefty liberal" tag is another tag altogether, Only in America!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I had never watched this Sat Night Live thing on US tv station NBC but since Trump came along I never miss it. The program's available on their website, open viewing.
    In the beginning I thought it was all SNL content but then somebody told me they had adverts about every 15 minutes. In my defense, I find it difficult to separate the real content from the parody in certain parts of the world.

edit, I see that SNL is geoblocked if you don't use some method to de-geoblock.
    Last edited by geysir; 09/02/2017 at 5:23 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    60 convictions over the course of 13 years,and no American killed at the hands of terror related activity in that time from the 7 banned countries.

So the justification for a ban is zero deaths and an average of 4.6 convictions per year.

On the face of it US Immigration did a good job keeping Americans safe over that period - I wonder how 4.6 convictions per year for those 7 countries stands up v convictions of Irish people, Canadian etc.

I don't know about you - but that seems a bit heavy handed to me, kind of confirms the popular narrative also - the judge was incorrect in his assertion mind you.
    You're shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to challenging a Trump belch with considered facts.
    That Washington Examiner rag couldn't even challenge a flat earth National Enquirer headline.
    Apparently, that there's a one in 4 billion chance of a real real American getting a toenail broken by a "muslim terrorist" is a false news item propagated by really really bad people, according to Trump. In an explanation to his electorate, Trump stated
    “radical Islamic” terrorist attacks are “not even being reported” by the “very, very dishonest press.”

In an Irish political landscape, Trump would probably tick most of the boxes of the creationist DUP, considering the depth of paranoia/fear/suspicion and conspiracy theories, being such a large part of their political appeal.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Court upholds stay on Muslim Ban.

Trump responds with - "see you in court".

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Trump responds with - "see you in court...and buy my daughter's clothes".
    Fixed that for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I had never watched this Sat Night Live thing on US tv station NBC but since Trump came along I never miss it. The program's available on their website, open viewing.
    SNL was on a major downward spiral the last few years, Trump is a gift to them.

Alec Balwin's Trump is brilliant, and Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer is the funniest thing I've seen on there in years. Rosie O'Donnell is now angling for a slot as Steve Bannon, egged on by users from Reddit, have a look at her profile pic on Twitter today. (O'Donnell has feuded with Trump for years now.)

Baldwin is hosting SNL this week, it's likely to be a corker.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts

Trump responds with - "see you in court".
    'Oh no, not court,' say judges.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Honestly, how is this in anyway productive? The tactics being employed by the left and the Dems are far more worrying and damaging to the country than anything Trump has done so far. Left wing extremism is as vile as it's right wing equivalent.

https://twitter.com/abc7news/status/830078974889959429

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Honestly, how is this in anyway productive? The tactics being employed by the left and the Dems are far more worrying and damaging to the country than anything Trump has done so far. Left wing extremism is as vile as it's right wing equivalent.

https://twitter.com/abc7news/status/830078974889959429
    In fairness it's about as productive as giving De Vos that job in the first place.

You'd wonder why people feel so strongly about the likes of De Vos wouldn't you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Trump refers to Sen. Warren as Pocahontas during a Senators meeting. Disgusting.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...meeting-234909

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Trump refers to Sen. Warren as Pocahontas during a Senators meeting. Disgusting.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...meeting-234909
    Damn right - it's Fauxcahontas. He needs to get this stuff right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Why the pro-Frump rhetoric?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    In fairness it's about as productive as giving De Vos that job in the first place.

You'd wonder why people feel so strongly about the likes of De Vos wouldn't you?
    I think it will be far less harmful than Obama picking Clinton as his Secretary of State.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    This is why:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    SkSku is having understandable trouble forgiving the Obama administration for the Fraggle Rock Massacre.

25. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast