Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Snowflakes vs a sign at Berkley. Talk about first world problemos.

And guys, the thing with Coulter is pretty simple. Berk takes over 300 million dollars in fed funds every year. I think that Linda Sarsour is a vile, anti semitic, pro terror, pro genital mutilation, generational welfare hag who comes from a long lineage of first cousins marrying, but she speaks on college campuses all the time. BC of Free Speech. At least Ann works for her money. We have professional protesters now who make more than Barack Obama at his Wall Street speeches. That's not exactly grass roots. Nutty NY Sen Gillibrand gave Sarsour an award the other day ffs.

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/04...t-loses-video/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I want some of whatever mark is on.
    Common sense? I don't think you can buy it online

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Because they're engaging in activity that also happens to be illegal - or punishable by law, in other words - and they'd rather the authorities remained unaware of their identities for fear of potential adverse repercussions in the future? Just a guess...

Funnily enough, the most severe university campus attacks upon free speech rights in the contemporary US are against individuals and groups who are critical of Israeli policy in Palestine, but few conservatives have bothered to raise objections to such attacks on behalf of proponents of the Palestinian cause for some reason...

Anyhow, would this be regular-Fox-News-mouthpiece, frequent-speaker-at-conservative-conferences, Universal-Press-Syndicate-columnist and author-of-a-dozen-best-seller-books-printed-and-sold-by-major-publishers Ann Coulter that you're talking about? It's unfortunate that the event couldn't be accommodated over security fears (because the exchange of ideas and views is generally a healthy thing for any society), but let's not pretend Ann Coulter is a poor, voiceless soul on the powerless margins of US society here. She's also, irrespective of what she has claimed*, not actually entitled to the provision of a platform by anyone, never mind a university.

As far as I understand, it was Coulter herself who cancelled her speech. The Berkeley College Republicans had originally invited her to speak but had failed to consult with the university in respect of event security first. As a result, police were not able to offer advice on the most appropriate time and venue.

Alex Bollinger has conveniently summarised the consequences of this (in a much more rigorous and circumspect summary than your dubious portrayal, I might add) for LGBTQ Nation:

The university's response is also worth re-posting here:

The free speech of privileged conservatives is dying a death, you say? I'm afraid I'm not convinced. What is it exactly that you feel Coulter is deprived from spouting in the public arena?

As an interesting aside, wasn't Coulter recently condemning American footballer Colin Kaepernick for his conscientious refusal to stand for the US anthem (a means by which Kaepernick was exercising his right to free expression)? She went as far as calling for his suspension from the NFL and requested that he either like it or lump it. "I think it’s outrageous. He’s making a lot of money off this country. If he doesn’t like it I’m with Donald Trump, he can go to another country", said the outraged... erm, is "snowflake" the word I'm looking for here? I guess Kaepernick just didn't share with her the "correct" sort of politics...

In fact, as you probably well know, many conservatives like the hypocritical Coulter will moan of "political correctness gone mad" when their bigotry and ignorance is scrutinised and challenged, but that phrase is really just a pitiful device utilised to try and discredit or police what is often-valid criticism (an exercising of free speech in itself) of their lazy, inaccurate and offensive opinions. So, not the greatest of free speech advocates after all then, is she?

On the other hand, Noam Chomsky is always worth investing time in if you want to read or listen to a serious commentator of actual academic repute on matters relating to the protection and/or regulation of freedom of expression:

*She deludedly claimed: "Even the most lefty, Coulter-hating judge would probably have had to order Berkeley to let me speak."
    Danny, you have made some influential comments about football in your time, but you are sadly lacking when it comes to events in today's America.
    Regarding Kapernick, ask yourself how you would feel if say Robbie Brady or James McClean sat down for or wore clothing to protest during the Irish national anthem at the next international at the Aviva. Not only would they be booed off the stage they would also be sanctioned by FIFA.
    How different is it when someone like Anne Coulter calls for sanction s for a similar transgression.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Ann Coulter once called the President a "retard" and refused to apolgise after, but Colin Kapernick kneeling during a song to protest endemic racism is taking freedom of speech too far.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Well said Danny. The far-right myth-making over "attacks" on freedom of speech on college campus' is beyond irritating, as is the general "snowflake" narrative.

I had to smile at Trump's tax plan. How exactly is he planning to get that past a deficit obsessed Republican congress?
    Myth making over attacks on freedom of speech? You're seriously questioning the attacks on freedom of speech? Have you been living in a cave for the last year?
    Have you seen the amount of students looking for 'safe spaces' at their schools and heckling anyone they don't agree with. And professors failing students who don't think the way they want them to. And clubs at schools which ostracize conservative students. No there's no attack whatsoever on freedom of speech.

And Trump's tax plan. Why did you have to smile about it? He's trying to get a more comprehensive plan for everyone including the common man. Tax rate down (first $24,000 free of tax and corporate tax down from 35% to 15%). What on God's green earth is wrong with that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Ann Coulter once called the President a "retard" and refused to apolgise after, but Colin Kapernick kneeling during a song to protest endemic racism is taking freedom of speech too far.
    Do you have an opinion you'd like to share on H Clinton. Did you ever ask yourself if someone was looking to be up front and honest with the public, would they hide a server in their basement? Or if the same someone was looking to be up front and honest with the public would they destroy 33,000 e mails after being told by the FBI that they wanted to examine them (many people seem to forget that Trump said he would release his taxes once those e mails were released)? And why would the staff of that same someone all ask for immunity beforehand in case they were called to testify? Appears to me that had D Trump not been elected last November, we would have had a real up front and honest Democrat in the White House.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Danny, you have made some influential comments about football in your time, but you are sadly lacking when it comes to events in today's America.
    Well, don't hold back now on pulling me up on something specific - anything even - if you think my understanding or interpretation is lacking.

Regarding Kapernick, ask yourself how you would feel if say Robbie Brady or James McClean sat down for or wore clothing to protest during the Irish national anthem at the next international at the Aviva. Not only would they be booed off the stage they would also be sanctioned by FIFA.
    How different is it when someone like Anne Coulter calls for sanction s for a similar transgression.
    I certainly wouldn't be calling for official sanctioning by the FAI, UEFA or FIFA, nor would I be calling for their expulsion from what is also their country.

It's a totally different context, but Derry City and Bohemians were contesting the FAI Cup final at the RDS in 2008 and Sammy Morrow, a Protestant from Limavady was named in Derry's starting line-up. Before the game, the two teams formed a line along the red carpet for the pre-match formalities. With Amhrán na bhFiann about to commence, both sides turned sideways to face the Irish tricolour behind a goal at one end of the stadium, as is protocol in football settings when our national anthem is played. The only player not to turn – he stood out like a sore thumb – was Sammy Morrow. Instead, he remained standing quietly and out-of-sync facing towards the supporters in the main stand as the anthem played. He stood starkly at odds with the 21 other players in line with him, but he had every right to opt out of paying deference to an anthem with which he might not have felt culturally comfortable. It was entirely his business; no big deal.

Out of interest, on what basis would or could McClean or Brady actually be sanctioned by FIFA in your hypothetical scenario?

Anyway, isn't that all besides the point? You're really just trying to deflect from the fact that Coulter is, quite evidently, a total hypocrite. She purports to champion free speech and claims to loathe the "oppressiveness" of "political correctness", yet she has no time whatsoever for defending expression when a particular example (such as Kaepernick's anthem stance) offends her sensitivities and fails to meet her personal standard of what is politically tolerable, acceptable or appropriate. In fact, she goes as far as calling for the suppression of such expression via official sanction and asks that Kaepernick departs the country simply because he has expressed a viewpoint with which she happens to disagree. That she can even take herself seriously in light of such blatant double standards is ludicrous; it's not even funny. In fact, you yourself were cursing the supposed "death of free speech" only a few posts ago, but now you too appear to be trying to justify official sanction as a means of penalising and suppressing relatively harmless expression just because you regard it to be inappropriate. Where's your self-awareness?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If Robbie Brady sat down during the national anthem I imagine a few people would be a bit upset but then everyone would get on with their lives because there's far more important **** going on.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts

And Trump's tax plan. Why did you have to smile about it? He's trying to get a more comprehensive plan for everyone including the common man. Tax rate down (first $24,000 free of tax and corporate tax down from 35% to 15%). What on God's green earth is wrong with that
    Because it will create a gigantic deficit, and the Republicans in Congress have made a crusade out of doing the exact opposite? Which, you know, I thought I made clear in the very post you quoted? For a guy quick to throw insults (and then whinge about "mindless comments" from others) you seem to read other posts rather selectively yourself.

Do you have an opinion you'd like to share on H Clinton. Did you ever ask yourself if someone was looking to be up front and honest with the public, would they hide a server in their basement? Or if the same someone was looking to be up front and honest with the public would they destroy 33,000 e mails after being told by the FBI that they wanted to examine them (many people seem to forget that Trump said he would release his taxes once those e mails were released)? And why would the staff of that same someone all ask for immunity beforehand in case they were called to testify? Appears to me that had D Trump not been elected last November, we would have had a real up front and honest Democrat in the White House.
    That's an impressive swerve away from my comments on Coulter, even for a Trump supporter. No, I won't offer a comment on Hilary Clinton in this instance just so you pivot the conversation towards a direction of your preference when it gets uncomfortable for you, just as you apparently won't offer a comment on Coulter's hypocrisy. Indeed, I think there's little else I could say to you that I would reasonably deem productive.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I've no idea what Hillary Clinton has to do with this particular discussion either. A truly bizarre attempt at deflection.

Have you seen the amount of students looking for 'safe spaces' at their schools and heckling anyone they don't agree with.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but safe spaces are spaces where voluntary participants, who may feel marginalised by mainstream society, mutually consent to the provision of a collective space in order to facilitate discussions about their experiences and sense of marginalisation without fear of harassment or abuse, no? I have never knowingly participated in a space designated as such on a university campus, but, as far as I'm aware, nobody is forced to participate, nor is anyone entitled to participation.

Also, isn't heckling a common feature of many life situations? Heckling has always been so, for as long as humans with the ability to roar and shout have existed. The deployment of heckling as a weapon of intimidation is not merely confined to usage by "liberal" students on university campuses in the modern day. Doesn't Trump heckle and abuse reporters, for example?

And aren't you also guilty of a contradiction in your complaints above? You object to the provision or establishment of safe spaces for students - presumably because they're places that will be free of heckling, abuse, ridiculing, taunting, baiting and inflammatory comments, whilst I'm guessing you'd prefer a verbal free-for-all - but then you claim to object to heckling of students by other students in the very same sentence. Like Trump and Coulter, you seem to be all over the place.

And professors failing students who don't think the way they want them to.
    Any examples of professors failing students who don't think the way the professors want them to think?

And clubs at schools which ostracize conservative students.
    Any examples of clubs at schools ostracising conservative students because of their views?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    And professors failing students who don't think the way they want them to.
    Calling BS on this one. Like DI, I'm looking for names please. A lengthy list to prove that this is a norm. I fail students from time to time, as do all academics, and always because the students have failed to show their work meets standards laid down in the course rubric. Anything else and I fall foul of internal and external validation - because my grading is assessed as well.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 29/04/2017 at 11:36 AM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Calling BS on this one. Like DI, I'm looking for names please. A lengthy list to prove that this is a norm. I fail students from time to time, as do all academics, and always because the students have failed to show their work meets standards laid down in the course rubric. Anything else and I fall foul of internal and external validation - because my grading is assessed as well.
    Ah, I see. You're the problem. Maybe spent a little less time failing students because of your liberal agenda and a bit more time creating imaginary wealth on the stock market, ​professor.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Darwin, Charles - A minus. (Good effort, articulate - but it's spend not spent. The promotion to professor is appreciated, but I'm merely a doctor. Facts are important.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go break some snowflake hearts with D minus grades and subliminally insert 'the markets are God'/'Trump is the devil' messages into my feedback.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 30/04/2017 at 3:07 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    UK police "offended" Muslims with this Ad.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    This is great too. Murderer speaks at swanky college and berates student who asks about it.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/27/co..._medium=Social

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Snowflakes accuse 2 journalists of making "White Power" sign at WH.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-membe...164630333.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    UK police "offended" Muslims with this Ad.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    What, a screenshot of Ann Coulter's twitter feed? I'd be offended too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    This thread is entitled "Trump". Get it back to Trump or I'm closing it. It's already becoming a breeding ground for /r/The_Donald level ignorance, and this ain't Reddit. Clean it up or I'll chuck the lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So he sacks Comey... Nothing to see here folks.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ite-house-live
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Comey was clearly one of the losers and haters Mr Donald warned us about.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast