Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlone Again........Naturally

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Neither, but everyone loves a good scandal. Thats all i can say for now.
    I think we're on the same wavelength. Something new for LOI to deal with

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Listen to What's Happening At Athlone Town by Midlands Sport #np on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport...t-athlone-town

A piece on Midlands radio today

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    Clearly not. This is a club with a few hundred people going to games and not a penny to their name id say. Along comes a portugese guy for whatever reason willing to spend some cash and bring in players and all i see is people questioning it. Id be singing from the rooftop if i was an athlone fan. Its not real madrid were talking here. Sure get rid of him then and go back to been **** poor and shakeing buckets around the streets to survive.
    And there, my friend, is the answer to the fact that you don't get what the problem is here. If it needs to be explained to you any further, there's probably no point doing so - as you just won't get it.

Just ask yourself why someone with no connection at all to Ireland would want to put money into a club that is chaotic, poorly supported and has very limited potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    And there, my friend, is the answer to the fact that you don't get what the problem is here. If it needs to be explained to you any further, there's probably no point doing so - as you just won't get it.

Just ask yourself why someone with no connection at all to Ireland would want to put money into a club that is chaotic, poorly supported and has very limited potential.
    I think by "whatever reason" he meant what does it matter what the reason is............. how could the club be any worse off?.
    Who owns the ground btw ? if the club don't then its hard to see what the angle is for any investor?
    If the club does own the ground I suppose there is probably a property play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think by "whatever reason" he meant what does it matter what the reason is............. how could the club be any worse off?.
    Who owns the ground btw ? if the club don't then its hard to see what the angle is for any investor?
    If the club does own the ground I suppose there is probably a property play.
    Exactly. Who gives a sh1t what the reasons are. If its helping athlone to better themselves then who cares. To quote a famous actor...if ya got nothing you got nothing to lose. Ya get me.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    So if ISIS decided they fancied financing Sligo that'd be fine? Of course you have to question what your club is being used for.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    So if ISIS decided they fancied financing Sligo that'd be fine? Of course you have to question what your club is being used for.
    There's a few hoping they take out Robertson

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    ya thats a good comparison alright. maybe athlone should just go back to begging to survive. might be happier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    ya thats a good comparison alright. maybe athlone should just go back to begging to survive. might be happier.
    Many of us believe we can build a club from the ground up as a club without community is nothing.

13. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The point is we don't know anything about the investor or whether any questions have been asked about them, by Athlone or ideally by the FAI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Exactly. Who gives a sh1t what the reasons are. If its helping athlone to better themselves then who cares. To quote a famous actor...if ya got nothing you got nothing to lose. Ya get me.
    This is pretty naïve stuff tbh.

Athlone have a lot to lose. They could end up going bust, losing their ground and leaving senior football. That's the sort of thing that isn't unfeasible when a bunch of unknowns rock up at a club looking to splash money around 'for whatever reason'. You can be sure that if it all falls apart they'll be long gone and it'll be Athlone who'll be the worse off.

Irish (and indeed world) football is scattered with enough footballing corpses for people to not be blind about this sort of thing. I remember fans of teams like Gretna thinking everything was great and people were being rainclouds to raise issues.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 14/03/2017 at 1:14 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    This is pretty naïve stuff tbh.

Athlone have a lot to lose. They could end up going bust, losing their ground and leaving senior football. That's the sort of thing that isn't unfeasible when a bunch of unknowns rock up at a club looking to splash money around 'for whatever reason'. You can be sure that if it all falls apart they'll be long gone and it'll be Athlone who'll be the worse off.

Irish (and indeed world) football is scattered with enough footballing corpses for people to not be blind about this sort of thing. I remember fans of teams like Gretna thinking everything was great and people were being rainclouds to raise issues.
    That was a question I asked earlier ...Do Athlone own the ground .........if they do they have something to lose if they don't , then they have nothing to lose.
    Going bust didn't prevent Wexford or (there was another I'm sure ) taking their place in the league.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    That was a question I asked earlier ...Do Athlone own the ground .........if they do they have something to lose if they don't , then they have nothing to lose.
    Going bust didn't prevent Wexford or (there was another I'm sure ) taking their place in the league.
    Even if Athlone don't own the ground, they'd lose the lease on it if they went bust. And the owner might prefer to develop the site or use it for other purposes rather than let a 'new' version of Athlone lease it back - particularly if there was unpaid rent when they went bust.

Though what use is a ground without a club to play in it anyway ?

More senior clubs have come and gone in the city of Cork alone than their are teams in the LOI First Division currently FFS. That's just in one town, with a large population, where sport is generally well-supported. It is naïve in the extreme to think that there is nothing that could go wrong for Athlone here.

The Wexford situation was different, as Wallace (understanding both property and his own precarious finances) separated the stadium to protect it. There's still probably a good chance that Wexford will disappear from the senior game at some future point though - just like Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Drumcondra, Cork Hibernians, Cork United (twice), St James's Gate (twice), Dolphin, Brideville, Thurles Town, Newcastle West, Bray Unknowns, Cork Albert, Brooklyn, Dublin City, St Francis, Frankfort, Kildare County, Home Farm and its various guises, Sporting Fingal, Mervue United, Salthill Devon, and I could go on.... . Because Wexford haven't really developed a fanbase and a sustainable club to guarantee longer term survival. They could be the next Kilkenny, Monaghan or Kildare.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 14/03/2017 at 5:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Pleased to see the extensive due diligence was carried out. "We met with the new investors, we're not sure what they want".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Does anyone know the other clubs these investors are involved in? I saw a Lithuanian club who finished bottom of the league with a GD of about -140. It looks like they had a lot of Italian players drafted in for that season...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Does anyone know the other clubs these investors are involved in? I saw a Lithuanian club who finished bottom of the league with a GD of about -140. It looks like they had a lot of Italian players drafted in for that season...
    They first team operations manager was involved in FC Dainava in Lithuania. The manager was previously with Fatima, Sofia Farmer in some intermediate club in the north and FC Barreirense. You can check his record if you can call it that.

Not a lot of info on 1st team operations manager Marc Formeaux other than the disaster in Lithuania and that he is a player agent.. Also a denial that he is Eden Hazards agent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover View Post
    Also a denial that he is Eden Hazards agent.
    While the Hazard lads (I there may be 3 or possibly even 4 of them in the family who are all professional players) might have 1 or 2 advisors I'm fairly sure their father is their agent. The Father is a former professional himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Official Facebook page seems to be blocking people and removing posts now for asking questions and being critical of posts.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery Rover View Post
    Official Facebook page seems to be blocking people and removing posts now for asking questions and being critical of posts.
    Sounds like our admin has taken over it

26. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast