Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If we can get LR/ the Aviva rocking early on I do fancy our chances - despite the injuries and suspension to Brady. Wales are on the ropes and we could KO them from the group. If the shoe was on the other foot they'd be clearly going for the jugular so am pleased to hear the kind of things coming out from the management and the players in last few days.

Bale is obviously a quality player but am hoping they deploy him primarily on the left because I'd back Coleman to look after him. I know he can play anywhere but we need to make sure if he does float and targets Ward then we double up.

Not often a top seed comes to a Dublin before the half way stage and already in trouble.... There must also be some kind of Euro 2016 hangover so there is a lot of pressure on them tonight. They did wilt under the expectation versus England last summer and were also lucky to beat our northern brothers. The Belgian result was a cracking victory but they aren't consistently brilliant and it's gonna be a PL style slugfest - I don't think we are gonna be technically out of our depth tonight. They have 2 players from Aston Villa playing for em!!

They have also coughed up leads so even if we do go behind we'll get chances because they aren't so strong defensively to shut a game out.

At least with MO'N it's hard to predict what he'll do. Walters on the right or up top? Hendricks a key man tonight. Good luck lads.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    In spite of the injuries, I'm still quietly confident we can get a result. Our starting eleven certainly won't be a weak one, even though we may lack a bit of strength in depth on account of circumstances, but I predict a tight game. We may even scrape through with a win. It'll be interesting to see how Wales handle the pressure they're under on account of being four points behind and badly needing to make up ground.

I can't wait for kick-off now. Had no luck getting my hands on a ticket so I shall be watching from Belfast this evening.

COYBIG!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Jaysus, even the Daily Telegraph has picked up on Giles saying that Bale is "not a great player". They don't realise that this is standard stuff over here. Hope it isn't used as an incentive for them.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    If they need to use an out-of-context Giles quote in the Telegraph to get motivated then they're fooked.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

6. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    If they need to use an out-of-context Giles quote in the Telegraph to get motivated then they're fooked.
    Aye, couldn't have been more complimentary about Bale in that piece, pretty much rubbished Ramsey and the rest of the team without Bale though :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think we're going to win.
    There I've said it and cursed us. Injuries sminjuries. If that pair Clark and Duffy were available then the other pair Hue and Cry would be as well. "timebomb ...rush of blood ...reckless ...brainless ...clueless ...yadda yadda".

we'll be grand
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    We have a lot of injuries but we have enough to win the game. If we can do that, we can more or less knock Wales out of the running, and end what has been a bloody awful week for the country on some sort of high.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Just in case people are unaware, there's a minute's applause planned for the fifth minute for Ryan McBride: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35556177.html

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Just in case people are unaware, there's a minute's applause planned for the fifth minute for Ryan McBride: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35556177.html
    What is wrong with a minutes silence before the game?

I kid you not, there are people suggesting City supporters do a rendition of The Town I Loved so Well at the Cross tomorrow.

It's too much.
    Last edited by harry crumb; 24/03/2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I feel like the pressure is coming on for Bob Marley and the Walers the closer we get. A lot of their pundits saying a loss would be a disaster, etc.....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...-john-hartson/
    Last edited by KrisLetang; 24/03/2017 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb View Post
    What is wrong with a minutes silence before the game?

I kid you not, there are people suggesting City supporters do a rendition of The Town I Loved so Well at the Cross tomorrow.

It's too much.
    I genuinely agree with the sentiment, but when was the last time we had a game without a minutes silence before it. It used to be used sparingly and was special as a result but It's as much a part of the preamble as the anthems now.

If people genuinely want to mark something what other options are there?

I'd much prefer we do away with marking the passing of every country treasurer and their dog and save it for weeks like this one
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'd much prefer we do away with marking the passing of every country treasurer and their dog and save it for weeks like this one
    I don't want to sound cold but I have to agree with this. Incidents like this weeks should be marked with a formal minute silence / applause but the passing of everyday members of the football family (as the FAI put it) could be more appropriately marked at half time, or just before the teams come out, over the PA and on the big screen with a minutes applause.

When Tony Grealish passed away just before the England friendly a few years ago the FA handled it perfectly with a montage on the big screen and some words over the PA.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Bang on Byrner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Heading off now, sans ticket. I worry that Wales will control midfield. I think the likelihood is that we'll both score, and I suspect it'll be either us by the odd-goal in three or the 1-1 draw. Either I'd be happy with.

I'll be backing McGeady to score anytime, given his form, irrespective of whether he starts or not, he'll be around 16/1.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    See you in Slatterys!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Our record against Wales appears to be p13 w5 d3 l5 f16 a13 Not much in it and on average 2 goals a game approx. Sounds a bit right for this one as well. Home advantage to pay off.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Randolph; Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Walters; Long.

As expected.

Ireland Subs:
    Westwood (GK), C. Doyle (GK); Christie, Egan, Pearce; McGeady, Horgan, Hourihane, Meyler, Hayes, O'Dowda; K. Doyle.
    Boyle and O'Kane miss out.

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 24/03/2017 at 6:43 PM.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Randolph; Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward; McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Walters; Long.

As expected.

Ireland Subs:
    Westwood (GK), C. Doyle (GK); Christie, Egan, Pearce; McGeady, Horgan, Hourihane, Meyler, Hayes, O'Dowda; K. Doyle.
    Boyle and O'Kane miss out.

Wales Team: Hennessey (GK), Gunter, Taylor, Davies, Chester, Williams (C), Allen, Robson-Kanu, Ramsey, Bale, Ledley.
    Just looking at the team sheet posted. I will reserve judgement for Martin O'Neill but I'll give it to him with both barrels after the game if we don't get a result. And the brand name on both of those barrels will be 'McGeady' and 'Whelan". How, on God's green earth can he leave our most form player out of the starting team. Perhaps Martin has a grander plan. Let's hope so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McGeady should be starting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Don't know if Walters is up front with Long or out wide but neither really works.

With Whelan, question marks over McCarthy and Walters I fear a lack of incision and a stone age approach to tactics but hope I am wrong.

I think McGeady should be in there to restore a bit of balance.

We're home team. Should be more positive.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast