Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm not saying it isn't a foul, I'm not even saying it isn't a red card... but is Bale not just desperately trying to reach the cross to score but O'Shea gets there before him? He looks miles late in the super slow mo but in real time it's split second stuff? I certainly don't think it's a 'let's ruff them up' kind of tackle anyway and I do think Taylor's is a fair bit worse.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't a foul, I'm not even saying it isn't a red card... but is Bale not just desperately trying to reach the cross to score but O'Shea gets there before him? He looks miles late in the super slow mo but in real time it's split second stuff? I certainly don't think it's a 'let's ruff them up' kind of tackle anyway and I do think Taylor's is a fair bit worse.
    In real time in the ground (that's right, Paul O'Shea) I thought it was a red.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Taylor's was split second stuff too. It's irrelevant. That's football. From experience, there's still time to pull out of (or modify) a challenge.

From the comfort of my couch , Bale's tackle was ridiculously late, studs up and high. Bad (or sick!) person.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Taylor's was split second stuff too. It's irrelevant. That's football. From experience, there's still time to pull out of (or modify) a challenge.

From the comfort of my couch , Bale's tackle was ridiculously late, studs up and high. Bad (or sick!) person.
    Your couch? You'll never get into the YBIG real fans whatsapp group with that attitude.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Both were awful. Taylor was miles off the ground and studs at a 90 degree angle to Coleman's shin. Coward's challenge. O'Shea got lucky with Bales.

People talking about whether it was premeditated. I don't think he thought 5 minutes before I'm gonna do this lad. It's a snap decision and he took the cowards option. No danger of hurting himself but might hurt the opponent. Bale did the same. Professionals know this, it was a cnuts challenge. Feet in the air and out of control.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Had Taylor got the ball and been penalised anyway the Alan Hansens of this world would be moaning about the game going soft and that you can't tackle anymore, it's a non-contact sport now.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    But getting the ball is the only thing that stops a reckless challenge not being a foul don't ya know.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think the majority on here certainly felt that way when McClean broke Milik up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    But getting the ball is the only thing that stops a reckless challenge not being a foul don't ya know.
    The pundits' desperate attempts to find evidence that the ball had been slightly kissed by the tackler, in order to absolve the foul?

However it's not all a non-contact sport, there's still room for the classic sliding tackle
    Sometimes clearly getting the ball in the tackle does genuinely absolve the act of first clattering into the attacking player

Vardy felled

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Stephen Elliott's take on the key ref decisions.

https://www.sportdec.com/app/article...119f4dn6k72n9g

I agree almost completely but I see the rugby analogy at the end as a bit of a red herring. There's no doubt referees are shown more respect in rugby but the players' attitude to the ref was a non-issue on Friday. Players' lack of respect for their opponents was the big issue in our game. I'm not sure France showed much respect for Wayne Barnes or the spirit of the game in general when they declared a head injury assessment was warranted last week.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Stephen Elliott's take on the key ref decisions.

https://www.sportdec.com/app/article...119f4dn6k72n9g

I agree almost completely but I see the rugby analogy at the end as a bit of a red herring. There's no doubt referees are shown more respect in rugby but the players' attitude to the ref was a non-issue on Friday. Players' lack of respect for their opponents was the big issue in our game. I'm not sure France showed much respect for Wayne Barnes or the spirit of the game in general when they declared a head injury assessment was warranted last week.

I thought Stephen was being sarcastic when he wrote re rugby " We never see refereeing decisions taking over it's post match headlines."
    Was that not the photo of the time when Rory Best challenged the ref about protection for Sexton? Perhaps not.
    Last edited by geysir; 28/03/2017 at 6:18 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread archived and locked
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930