Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Was the trumpet pumped through the P.A.?

Yes, and it was getting progressively louder as the night went on. It was horrendous in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There was a microphone in front of the band, so yep, relayed around the ground.

The fake cheering at half time was almost as bad.

On a separate note, I missed who took over as captain after Coleman went off. Was it Whelan? (I presume Coleman started as captain, but I only got to the ground at kick off, and didn't even notice until half-time that McCarthy had failed a late fitness test)
    I had assumed it was O'Shea. He seemed to take over leadership duties somewhat anyway.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Was the trumpet pumped through the P.A.?

��
    yes. unbelievable really. i felt like leaving i was so annoyed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    That's embarrassing. Bring back the bell, all is forgiven

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Seems like Ledley laughing and Taylor smiling.

Edit : Seen Taylor walking off the pitch apologising to the Irish management. Seemed pretty devastated. Only he knows what he meant to do.
    Ledley has just issued a statement defending himself.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...heads-testing/

I knew it reminded me of something, when Ronaldo got caught winking and smiling to the Portuguese bench after contriving to get Rooney sent off.

You have to give him the benefit of the doubt in these situations but you can understand a backlash in the heat of the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I can't agree. He was so poor on the ball and so immobile. He was sitting on our centre halves. We can never press the ball when he plays cause he does not have the athleticism to cover the ground. If people who love whelan on here for his positional sense mastery want that great but we will never get those high octane Italy performances where we are on the front foot when he plays.mccarthy was a huge miss.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Whelan has no mobility. In fairness to him he does hit a nice pass, but he is as slow as molasses at times. I can see from the original poster's point of view that he is possibly seeing that Whelan's passes mostly found their targets, but it's what he doesn't give you which hurts. Had McGeady or Conor Hourihane been in his shoes I think we may just have seen a different outcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    McGeady is more apt to get past a player and whip a cross in than Walters. The counter argument is that Walters is needed for graft.

How many times was Coleman exposed on the right hand side again?

The Georgia game in particular, too, if I'm not mistaken, they had the beating of us on that side for the guts of 30 minutes.

How bad must McGeady be at grafting?

Think we missed a trick with this team selection and slowness to make substitutions again, a bugbear of mine when it comes to MON.

Is Arnautovic suspended for the June game?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    McGeady is more apt to get past a player and whip a cross in than Walters. The counter argument is that Walters is needed for graft.

The Georgia game in particular, too, if I'm not mistaken, they had the beating of us on that side for the guts of 30 minutes.

Think we missed a trick with this team selection and slowness to make substitutions again, a bugbear of mine when it comes to MON.

Now that you bring up Walters. I think we can do better in the forward line. John would be a nice addition coming of the bench in the final 20/25 minutes, but as a starting striker he is as immobile as Whelan at times. I know he is a fan favorite but he doesn't have the legs for a full 90 at international level imho. We need a forward who can hold the ball up and bring others into the play. The options are (in tandem) Long and McGeady, Long and McClean, Long and Murphy (although he's in a very similar mould to Walters in terms of mobility), Long and Horgan? It's something the manager has to work on.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

Hopefully. It would be a big loss for them if he was. That game now takes on added significance and the good part is that we should have all our injured players (minus Seamie) back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Just to confirm Mark, Arnautovic is suspended for the next game.

Did anyone else notice Williams appearing to have a go at Taylor after the Coleman tackle?

That's what it looked like from my vantage point.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Just to confirm Mark, Arnautovic is suspended for the next game.

Did anyone else notice Williams appearing to have a go at Taylor after the Coleman tackle?

That's what it looked like from my vantage point.
    Didn't notice that about Williams, but fair play to him.
    Regarding Austria game - if we beat them we're right back on track. Anything other than a win condemns them to also rans. Similar situation for Wales, they need to avoid defeat in Zagreb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Does anyone have the game recorded? I'm very curious about how there was only 4 minutes of injury time. There were a number of subs and Coleman was down for quite a while.
    Just watched it back. Taylor's tackle happened at 68.11. Play resumed 71.56. There were four subs but only one of them (McGeadys) stopped play. Two during Coleman's treatment and one at HT.
    Four minutes was probably fair but he could have stretched it to five.

Anyone know if Taylor could face a retrospective ban similar to what Dele Alli received in the Europa League?

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    O'Shea, Whelan, McCarthy and Walters relieved from squad. No reinforcements..

That's to be expected with O'Shea picking up a knock, Whelan's facial injury and McCarthy's setback.

A bit baffling as to why Long and Doyle are the only strikers and Christie and Ward are only full backs available but we are getting used to nonsense like this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Didn't notice that about Williams, but fair play to him.
    Regarding Austria game - if we beat them we're right back on track. Anything other than a win condemns them to also rans. Similar situation for Wales, they need to avoid defeat in Zagreb.
    Belgrade rather.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I don't think he did. From the TV footage, Williams goes straight to the referee to protest the sending off.
    He argues his case for awhile then goes and stands over Coleman while he is being put on the stretcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Just to confirm Mark, Arnautovic is suspended for the next game..
    Stefan Ilsanker too, their defensive midfield regular playing for Red Bull Leipzig. I personally think Austria won't have the bottle for Dublin
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Stefan Ilsanker too, their defensive midfield regular playing for Red Bull Leipzig. I personally think Austria won't have the bottle for Dublin
    Not a bad start. And if we have all of our injured lads back then no reason why we can't win this game. It would appear that Austria didn't have too much bottle in facing Moldova yesterday. One of those victories which would have been greeted like a defeat in the local press.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    When they went down to 10 men, he should have switched meyler to right full and brought on Mc Geady at that stage and really went for the jugular. I fear we may live to regret that. Anyway let's hope Seamus gets back on his feet as soon as possible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think Whelan is getting a rough ride here from folks. What he does well, he did really well last night. He kept the ball and kept us ticking over. I think Hendrick was far less effective and didn't provide much of an outlet. McClean was fantastic (didn't realize he was so one footed though) and I thought Walters worked his socks off defensively and supported Long well (although they take up the same positions in an attacking sense). Our back 4 did well overall - Christie showed a little naivety when we were pushing forward, trying to go outside too often although he did win a couple of corners.

Kudos to the Wales player who put a block on McCleans second volley that took it the wrong side of the post - it was flying in. Whelan showed good intelligence to cushion the header over to McClean for the first shot in that sequence.

Happy with the point in the grand scheme but also disappointed we left two points behind us.

I think we realised how much we (and the football world) love Coleman last night. I hope we can win this group for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Daniel Taylor of the Guardian reported the following in relation to Neil Taylor:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Taylor
    For what it is worth, Taylor looked sickened when he left the pitch and, at the end of the match, when the other players came into the dressing room they found him on the floor, covering his face with his hands.
    There's absolutely no way he was smiling.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Player ratings
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ings-1.3024032

Im not a playa i just crush a lot!

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast