Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    To summise, I don't see it being pretty.
    A bit like Celtic park in December 2014? Or Aviva in May/June(?) 2015?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    until this point when hopefully the Welsh will be getting anxious and start rushing passes and losing possession.
    Why would they get anxious? 0-0 would be a good result for them - they don't have to win.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why would they get anxious? 0-0 would be a good result for them - they don't have to win.
    True, if they come out of it with a draw.
    But I can't think of any reason for a Welsh player or management, at 70mins and the game in the balance, not to be thinking "big chance for 3 points here".
    On the flipside, it'd be hard for the thought "draw isn't a bad result" not to creep in for the Irish players, irrespective if the management have said so or not.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Exactly, we'd likely be the ones getting anxious.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    The Welsh would be anxious as this game has been marked by most as a must win game for them. Probably haven't got the nerves for the long haul.

Heartening the read the RTE report that McCarthy is battling to prove his fitness, that evokes an image of James in the gym at dawn, ice cold sea bathing followed by ice baths, press ups, squats etc.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Exactly, we'd likely be the ones getting anxious.
    You could look at it like that, I guess it's a matter of perspective. I always thought of it as easier to hold a team scoreless than chase a goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Where is Dr Peepee? Has he been trying to treat our injured?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    We are in a great position going into this game. Its a chance to almost make a top 2 position guaranteed and the fact that we are at home we shouldn't be going in with any other attitude of beating Wales and going at them from the start. Theres no way we should be cagey and accept that a draw is a decent result.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    We are in a great position going into this game. Its a chance to almost make a top 2 position guaranteed and the fact that we are at home we shouldn't be going in with any other attitude of beating Wales and going at them from the start. Theres no way we should be cagey and accept that a draw is a decent result.
    After the Austria win and with Serbia and Austria to come to us, I feel that you're right. I feel we should feel that this is a game we should go for before those two come. 3 points could make us. Will the point difference between a draw and a loss break us?

And then.. I remember they have Bale and Ramsey and that bit of caution ekes back into my thinking.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    We are in a great position going into this game.
    For goodness sakes man don't tempt fate. Remember your gethsemane at half time of the super bowl saying how the Falcons would finally win one? I won't even mention your Hillary button on election morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Gunter: I couldn't kick a ball into the ocean but a first goal vs silly Irish would be sweetest of life.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...welsh-veteran/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    For goodness sakes man don't tempt fate. Remember your gethsemane at half time of the super bowl saying how the Falcons would finally win one? I won't even mention your Hillary button on election morning.
    Haha in a great position you can go a put your foot on the throat of the opposition instead of trying to coast home like the Falcons or Hillary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    agree with this. A lot of fear running through the conversation here. Even with our injuries we have enough to beat Wales. Sure, Bale is a talisman and they have quality in midfield and defence but they are very beatable. We also have no shortage of quality in areas that they are weak. I think the pace of Long will cause them trouble and I really think McClean and his work ethic and persistence will be vital. I hope McGeady starts in a free role as he might do to Wales what Bale might do to us.

Long story short, we have nothing to fear and we need to go out there with a plan to win the game. I predicted 3-1 to us a couple of weeks ago and I still think that is doable, despite the injuries, if we go out there in the right frame of mind.
    Last edited by SkStu; 22/03/2017 at 5:33 PM.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    I can see the attitude of being rightly worried about Bale. Any time we come up against a team that has one top class player he always seems to score against us, but I really think that we can get at them at the back too. We have decent pace going forward and I think we can win the midfield battle (especially if McCarthy is fit).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Well, Ledley might be missing:

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Joe Ledley a Welsh doubt with wife expecting third child
    Joe Ledley could miss Wales' World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland if his pregnant wife Ruby goes into labour before the Dublin clash.

The prospect of midfielder Ledley missing the game has been raised by his Crystal Palace team-mate Wayne Hennessey, who was speaking to the media little more than 48 hours before the Group D clash at the Aviva Stadium.

Ruby is due to give birth to the couple's third child - they are already parents to daughters Layla and Reeva - a few days after Wales take on group leaders the Republic.

But Hennessey says that Ledley is on tenterhooks as the due date and Ireland game draws nearer, and that his best friend has even had a member of the Wales staff take his mobile phone out to the training ground this week.

"Ruby is expecting two or three days after the game, so Joe is hoping he doesn't get the call until the day after," Hennessey said.

"He's not been nervous, he's been calm. He's just keeping his phone on loud and for one of the members of staff to take his phone if he's out on the training field.

"He's used to it now... but let's hope she doesn't drop before the game. I would be lost without him!"

Hennessey will win his 67th cap in Dublin and he is expecting a sell-out 51,700-Aviva crowd to create an intense atmosphere.

The Republic are currently four points clear of third-placed Wales and two ahead of Serbia.

"It will be a hostile game in terms of the crowd," Hennessey said.

"But on the field and off the field, the Euros really prepared us for games like this.

"The Irish have injuries but that means other people will come in to stake a claim.

"It's difficult opposition but we know what they're all like. We know all about their players and their style of play."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/...-ledley-wales/

Trap wouldn't like that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    we are also unbeaten in Dublin since May 2014 (a friendly v Turkey) and have claimed some notable scalps during that time.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    we are also unbeaten in Dublin since May 2014 (a friendly v Turkey) and have claimed some notable scalps during that time.
    A game we should have drawn. Glenn Whelan scored a perfectly good goal after about 50 seconds that was disallowed!

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    This is a group that we can finish first in, best opportunity since 1994 WCQ to qualify on a first class ticket.
    I think 4 points is enough from this and the next game to stay ahead of the pack,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Don't know about that. After dropping four points in home games against Georgia and Serbia they're going to have to recover the damage somewhere, draws won't really do that. A draw and they'll probably be four points behind both ourselves and Serbia at the half way mark. Even Austria, who've had a horror start to the campaign, will be level with them.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast